British Speedway Forum
Gazc

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

"They" are the board of directors... Who will do it? I'll do it!

Then God help us all :D:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Disagree with this, as you are giving home teams a point for doing something they really should be doing anyway (winning by +6).  Three points for a home win should be suffice. With the away team getting a Bonus Point for a loss of -6 or less, two points for an away draw and four points for an away win (of any amount).fice, with points for the away team "getting close" (a losing bonus point for example if you lose by less than six) and 2 points for an away draw and four points for a +6 away win.

Teams didn't get an extra point for winning by more than 6. They lost a point for winning by less than 6.

That's what was taken away.

It was 3 for winning by more than 6. Now it's 3 for winning by any margin.

It was a good system. They should have kept it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Then God help us all :D:P

The first thing I'm doing is ordering a replay of the 2nd leg of the CL pay off final... at the beginning of next season... with whatever teams both clubs sign :P

26 minutes ago, iainb said:

The first thing I'm doing is ordering a replay of the 2nd leg of the CL pay off final... at the beginning of next season... with whatever teams both clubs sign :P

Best of 3, we'd still probably lose :rofl:

Edited by 40-38
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, crescent girl said:

I saw no rhyme nor reason for the rolling average to be reduced to ten meetings, which allowed imbalances galore.      It should be at least twenty matches, or even more.

The more matches the more accurate the average, I believe it should be every single match including cup matches and playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

Should be home and away once 

Top 4 into play offs

Season to run from May to end of August, play offs in September

No other gimmicks 

20 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Economically, a four month regular season wouldn’t be sufficient. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Top 4 into play offs

No other gimmicks 

I agree... I'd slim the pay offs down to 3 though

18 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

It's not economically sufficient to run the "home" leg of your pay off final 2 hours away from where all your fans live

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Would it not mean some Teams would lose less money.Riders would have the most to lose.Although some Clubs rental agreements would cause difficulty.

3 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Top 4 into play offs

No other gimmicks 

Problem with that is those clubs that have to stage a minimum of X number of home meetings to satisfy their stadium landlords! And those meetings must be meaningful (competitive) to get a reasonable crowd in.

As for the play-offs, restrict it to the top 3 who could then each stage a home leg or could just go to a one-off neutral track final with 6-man teams!  Don't think its ever been tried before in recent years?!;)

Edited by Skidder1

I don’t personally believe there is a desire for weekly speedway anymore, looking back at when the sport was seen more of a main player in UK sport compared to now being a minority sport, there are just so many things to do in life I think Speedway needs to find its place but the promoters are still trying to push the sport like it’s the 70’s/80’s

Less can sometimes be more

8 Team Premiership – Home & Away Once Top 4 into play offs
8 Team Championship – Home & Away Once Top 4 into play offs
All meetings run between May – August, Play offs only in September.

You could even with a reduced calendar work more closely with Sweden/Denmark to fix more fixtures so that you could see Prem clubs being able to run Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursdays.

The main event of British Speedway should not be league racing anyway, it should be a major part of it like the above but the main event should be an individual series, I would put something together like the “Super 12 Championship” where the top 12 British Riders who don’t race in the polish top flight race over 10 rounds and this replaces the British Championship as we know now

1 Round in April, 2 rounds in May, June, July, August and the final round in September after league play-offs.  12 riders, 4 heats each, top 4 to the final at each round that’s 13 heats, add to the program a “Super 8 series” for riders U24 which will be our equivalent to what Poland are doing with their U24 league – they ride 4 heats each and a final, that’s 9 races so 22 heats of racing per championship round, make these rounds events, practice, meet the riders, have entertainment etc.

The individual series on Eurosport, the rest of British Speedway on a Pay Monthly stream like Netflix where its £9.99 per month they get say 4 meetings a month, interviews, behind the scenes, nostalgic meetings, you could even have a feature presenting each club side throughout the season

Premiership built to 42.5 limit with a minimum average of 3.00 and maximum average of 9.00 for team building so for example a rider can get an average of 11.00 during a campaign but it resets at 9.00 why penalise a rider from having a good year? Championship built to 36 limit minimum average of 2.00, that takes away the bigger names in the championship and effectively they race in the individual series.

Issues that I have seen mentioned

-          Riders losing money?
too many riders are professional riders in a non-professionally run sport, the individual series if you had prize money of £3k, £2k £1k per round to the podium finishers then had a £50k prize pot to the top 3 in the series overall the top 12 riders in this series would not have to double up/down, with 10 rounds guaranteed on Eurosport they would get more sponsorship to cover costs etc.

The sport is here to survive for future generations not to give current riders a professional career, doubling up and down only benefits a smaller % of riders, Covid showed us that riders will go and get jobs if they have to, if the sport can’t offer a fulltime wage they will get part time jobs.

-          Landlord issues

Simple really if some clubs have to run X amount of fixtures, then just hold some individual rounds, say Glasgow/Edinburgh/Berwick could host a round each of the “Scottish Open Championship” these can be run in April before the season opens up in May-August, other individual meetings can take place when fixtures are cemented and free weeks are available, you could get Ipswich, Lynn and Peterborough doing a “Star of Anglia Championship” etc.

Also with no promotion or relegation in speedway what is to stop on a reduced calendar a premiership side entering a championship side? You then get 14 home and 14 away meetings

I would invite someone like TalkSport to become title sponsors of the leagues, AT NO CHARGE, and use their massive social media following to promote the sport, doesn’t mean it will feature much on the radio itself but their social media platforms are HUGE and could generate more interest in the sport

For the individual series I would encourage Monster to get involved plus speedway stalwarts such as Tru Plant, ATPI, Adrian Flux etc. to sponsor it to generate the funds for prize money

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Problem with that is those clubs that have to stage a minimum of X number of home meetings to satisfy their stadium landlords! And those meetings must be meaningful (competitive) to get a reasonable crowd in.

Or they could, god forbid, actually try promoting the meaningless meetings they put on. I know, difficult to comprehend :D

Lots of people not taking into account it’s the availability of the Top Men that fixtures are not run on a more regular basis especially Weekend Clubs.Leicester and Berwick are good examples,although Berwick got away with it with NDL matches and good weather + not making top 6.Leicester had more juggling to do ,got their League fixtures in oK in good time ,but because they were in all the finals and a weekend Club had trouble arranging dates with other Fri-Sat Clubs .That’s my opinion.Nobody overseeing these issues didn’t help.

36 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

I don’t personally believe there is a desire for weekly speedway anymore, looking back at when the sport was seen more of a main player in UK sport compared to now being a minority sport, there are just so many things to do in life I think Speedway needs to find its place but the promoters are still trying to push the sport like it’s the 70’s/80’s

Less can sometimes be more

8 Team Premiership – Home & Away Once Top 4 into play offs
8 Team Championship – Home & Away Once Top 4 into play offs
All meetings run between May – August, Play offs only in September.

You could even with a reduced calendar work more closely with Sweden/Denmark to fix more fixtures so that you could see Prem clubs being able to run Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursdays.

The main event of British Speedway should not be league racing anyway, it should be a major part of it like the above but the main event should be an individual series, I would put something together like the “Super 12 Championship” where the top 12 British Riders who don’t race in the polish top flight race over 10 rounds and this replaces the British Championship as we know now

1 Round in April, 2 rounds in May, June, July, August and the final round in September after league play-offs.  12 riders, 4 heats each, top 4 to the final at each round that’s 13 heats, add to the program a “Super 8 series” for riders U24 which will be our equivalent to what Poland are doing with their U24 league – they ride 4 heats each and a final, that’s 9 races so 22 heats of racing per championship round, make these rounds events, practice, meet the riders, have entertainment etc.

The individual series on Eurosport, the rest of British Speedway on a Pay Monthly stream like Netflix where its £9.99 per month they get say 4 meetings a month, interviews, behind the scenes, nostalgic meetings, you could even have a feature presenting each club side throughout the season

Premiership built to 42.5 limit with a minimum average of 3.00 and maximum average of 9.00 for team building so for example a rider can get an average of 11.00 during a campaign but it resets at 9.00 why penalise a rider from having a good year? Championship built to 36 limit minimum average of 2.00, that takes away the bigger names in the championship and effectively they race in the individual series.

Issues that I have seen mentioned

-          Riders losing money?
too many riders are professional riders in a non-professionally run sport, the individual series if you had prize money of £3k, £2k £1k per round to the podium finishers then had a £50k prize pot to the top 3 in the series overall the top 12 riders in this series would not have to double up/down, with 10 rounds guaranteed on Eurosport they would get more sponsorship to cover costs etc.

The sport is here to survive for future generations not to give current riders a professional career, doubling up and down only benefits a smaller % of riders, Covid showed us that riders will go and get jobs if they have to, if the sport can’t offer a fulltime wage they will get part time jobs.

-          Landlord issues

Simple really if some clubs have to run X amount of fixtures, then just hold some individual rounds, say Glasgow/Edinburgh/Berwick could host a round each of the “Scottish Open Championship” these can be run in April before the season opens up in May-August, other individual meetings can take place when fixtures are cemented and free weeks are available, you could get Ipswich, Lynn and Peterborough doing a “Star of Anglia Championship” etc.

Also with no promotion or relegation in speedway what is to stop on a reduced calendar a premiership side entering a championship side? You then get 14 home and 14 away meetings

I would invite someone like TalkSport to become title sponsors of the leagues, AT NO CHARGE, and use their massive social media following to promote the sport, doesn’t mean it will feature much on the radio itself but their social media platforms are HUGE and could generate more interest in the sport

For the individual series I would encourage Monster to get involved plus speedway stalwarts such as Tru Plant, ATPI, Adrian Flux etc. to sponsor it to generate the funds for prize money

many teams did that in the past with local stations and i think that was generally succesful. Boom Radio wd be a good shout too

What i would like to see next season is meetings being called off due to 'drizzle', clubs folding halfway through their fixtures, an 8-week period of inactivity and a cup competition which is abandoned at the final stages.

In short, i want the BSPA to remain in charge of running speedway :icon_smile_clown:

• Haha 1