British Speedway Forum
Gazc

CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS FOR ’23

14 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

Parity comes naturally in speedway from a points limit whether that be 30,40,50 every team builds to the same.

If some teams can’t afford to build to a higher limit by bringing back top tier riders they can still do this by building stronger teams from riders already here.

Is a team that was for argument sakes 

Masters, Bomber, Ellis, Pickering Morris, Lawson, Brennan,  that comes in around 50 going to be prohibitively expensive? 

I’m going off topic massively here though, back to my original point why should the championship need to weaken? 

You’ve really missed the point here. The top level riders aren’t going to come over here. One or two at the very most. So therefore a higher limit means the rich clubs will snap up 4/5 heat leaders and reach the 50 point limit. The others simply won’t be able to go higher than 40 if they are lucky - as there won’t be any riders of that quality left. And they will get thrashed every week. 

Therefore the only way to have distinction between the leagues is for the Championship to lower its limit. Look, I wish it wasn’t the case as much as the next person, but it is what it is. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

You’ve really missed the point here. The top level riders aren’t going to come over here. One or two at the very most. So therefore a higher limit means the rich clubs will snap up 4/5 heat leaders and reach the 50 point limit. The others simply won’t be able to go higher than 40 if they are lucky - as there won’t be any riders of that quality left. And they will get thrashed every week. 

Therefore the only way to have distinction between the leagues is for the Championship to lower its limit. Look, I wish it wasn’t the case as much as the next person, but it is what it is. 

That’s your opinion that they won’t come back I could just as easily say they all would and all of a sudden it’s problem solved.

even if we forget that next question then why does there need to be a distinction? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

That’s your opinion that they won’t come back I could just as easily say they all would and all of a sudden it’s problem solved.

even if we forget that next question then why does there need to be a distinction? 

Time will tell I guess. But as I've also said before, it's far less risky for the powers that be to reduce the points limit in the Championship than increase it in the Premiership on the off chance they will return. If they don't return, then I've explained why it won't work.

And there doesn't need to be a distinction in my opinion (and I've never said there should be). However the SCB clearly want one, so I'm just explaining the reasons why the Championship will be weakened.

If say cook at Poole is a Plymouth asset and they want to use him next season but he doesn’t want to ride for them can Plymouth stop him from riding for any other team in that league if there not willing to sell him.

19 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

If say cook at Poole is a Plymouth asset and they want to use him next season but he doesn’t want to ride for them can Plymouth stop him from riding for any other team in that league if there not willing to sell him.

Not really, if the two teams can’t agree a fee or if Plymouth refused to sell it would just go to arbitration 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Time will tell I guess. But as I've also said before, it's far less risky for the powers that be to reduce the points limit in the Championship than increase it in the Premiership on the off chance they will return. If they don't return, then I've explained why it won't work.

And there doesn't need to be a distinction in my opinion (and I've never said there should be). However the SCB clearly want one, so I'm just explaining the reasons why the Championship will be weakened.

Why should fans pay the same for Lesser product though.Just easier why for Promotions to make money,instead of try to improve Promoting of the sport.

39 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

No.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Why should fans pay the same for Lesser product though.Just easier why for Promotions to make money,instead of try to improve Promoting of the sport.

Well....if fans are paying the same next season, it's probably fair considering the extra costs involved in 2022 compared to 2021.

If the points limits goes from 42 to 40 as expected, that's just a reduction of just 5%. Considering inflation alone has already risen by 2.6% since March (and likely to go higher before the season starts) and the fact energy bills are considerably higher, it's probably going to hit promoters harder than fans.

But I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. It's fair for fans of Championship clubs to feel aggrieved. Just don't be surprised if ticket prices actually go up, not down.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Well....if fans are paying the same next season, it's probably fair considering the extra costs involved in 2022 compared to 2021.

If the points limits goes from 42 to 40 as expected, that's just a reduction of just 5%. Considering inflation alone has already risen by 2.6% since March last year (and likely to go higher before the season starts) and the fact energy bills are considerably higher, it's probably going to hit promoters harder than fans.

But I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. It's fair for fans of Championship clubs to feel aggrieved. Just don't be surprised if ticket prices actually go up, not down.

I take your points,but I know several fans at certain Clubs that are not Happy with Admission Prices.( the diehards will probably stump up) .Don’t  think it will increase attendances overall though and the sport is not attracting new fans in large numbers.Like I say it the easy way to make the sport pay by downgrading the Product but charging the same,good luck with it.

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

As stated elsewhere, Z Cook will be riding in Poland mostTuesdays. Also where do you get the idea that ZC is a Plymouth asset? Didn't Mark Philips go on record to thank Matt Ford in helping Plymouth to assist with ZC, Bjarne and Hans for the 2021 season??

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

As stated elsewhere, Z Cook will be riding in Poland mostTuesdays. Also where do you get the idea that ZC is a Plymouth asset? Didn't Mark Philips go on record to thank Matt Ford in helping Plymouth to assist with ZC, Bjarne and Hans for the 2021 season??

Good try ZC is definitely a Plymouth asset 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lewy said:

Good try ZC is definitely a Plymouth asset 

Zach has said he doesn't fancy riding the Plymouth track week in week out, he feels more comfortable riding the cycle speedway track at Baiter Park in Poole 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Zach has said he doesn't fancy riding the Plymouth track week in week out, he feels more comfortable riding the cycle speedway track at Baiter Park in Poole 

Geddon arf.

You have to remember that a few years ago the Premiership bosses wrecked the National Development League because it was too successful. Now they want to wreck the Championship League for the same reason. 

The NDL needs to have a higher standard than it is allowed at present then the step up to the CL at its present level would be a lot easier. All that then needs doing is the PL move up a point each year for a few years and the gaps between the leagues is reasonable and riders below NDL standard should have what was allowed up to a few years ago until the Premiership bosses decided to spoil everything because they couldn't run their own league in a business like fashion.

• Like 1

Can't even get things sorted at an AGM got to wait another 2 days only in speedway