British Speedway Forum

The Premier League Pairs was on BSN, wasn’t it? Or “watchspeedway”, as is the social media handle.

It’s been five days since the meeting and the platform hasn’t posted a single highlight from it.

Forgive me if I’m missing something, but why?

8 minutes ago, jduffill said:

Hi,

The reason is because our resources are stretched to the limit at the moment.

We are a small team - away from race days it is only myself and Martin Hunter that run the business, including all admin, video editing, customer support and stream preparation.

Although a stream is only 3 hours long to the customer/viewer, the reality for us is that it’s a day’s prep for the stream itself, an 18-24 hour shift on the day of the event (travel, setup, stream, pack down and travel) and then half a days admin for reporting, customer support, paying staff etc.

This week we are streaming 4 days (Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri) in locations stretching from Plymouth to Glasgow, so we are working around the clock every day just for the streaming of the events alone. Nobody has ever put out as much live British Speedway in the timescale we have - it’s a huge undertaking. So we simply don’t have the time to add video editing to that when our schedule is so demanding - the streams obviously have to take priority.

Ideally we would have somebody assigned to video edit for us, but we stream to a niche audience when compared to sports such as football for example, so the finances are simply not there to allow that to happen. A huge proportion of our profits are given to British Speedway, as BSN was created to support it.

A big problem we have is that we are suffering massively from piracy. We are a small company (basically 2 speedway fans who are trying to do something positive to support British Speedway), yet we have been targeted by a small number of criminals who are selling our stream via IPTV for massively reduced rates to profit from us. It’s the biggest threat to BSN’s survival!  Some even have the audacity to boast about this here on the forum and on social media.

That said, we have some very good news on this front and will be making a public statement in the near future. I can’t say much more on this, but anyone using these illegal services are committing a crime and should be very careful. Watch this space!

It’s also important to remember that we are a very new company (just over a year old). Rome wasn’t built in a day, but we are committed to progressing quickly and have made rapid progress since we created BSN. 

Improvements such as more consistency on the video editing side are in the pipeline as we expand our team, who are all speedway enthusiasts such as ourselves and have been incredible to us. Please give us some more time and we will get to where we want and where our viewers want us to be. Onwards and upwards!

Hopefully that gives some explanation and thanks for your support.

Ben Duffill (BSN co-director)

Ben Duffil, as in Jitendra Duffil, the ex-rider? Wow. I remember watching you ride for Glasgow during their first season at Ashfield in 1999.

Thanks for clarifying though. Credit where it’s due; that makes sense and is understandable. I look forward to seeing the platform grow, hopefully with regular commentary from Adam Roynon who was outstanding.

Also, while I’ve got an ex-rider here (strike while the irons hot, as they say) why do some riders jump off their bikes and hand them over to their mechanic before they’ve left the track, rather than riding into the pits?

Also x2, itchy faces and body parts must be an absolute nightmare for a speedway rider. How do you survive four laps with a world class itch in your eyebrow?

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall

3 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Ben Duffil, as in Jitendra Duffil, the ex-rider? Wow. I remember watching you ride for Glasgow during their first season at Ashfield in 1999.

Thanks for clarifying though. Credit where it’s due; that makes sense and is understandable. I look forward to seeing the platform grow, hopefully with regular commentary from Adam Roynon who was outstanding.

Also, while I’ve got an ex-rider here (strike while the irons hot, as they say) why do some riders jump off their bikes and hand them over to their mechanic before they’ve left the track, rather than riding into the pits?

Also x2, itchy faces and body parts must be an absolute nightmare for a speedway rider. How do you survive four laps with a world class itch in your eyebrow?

They are not allowed to ride their bikes in the pits, that's why.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

They are not allowed to ride their bikes in the pits, that's why.

Really? I didn’t know that. Why not? Is this a recent change?

Craig Cook must not have heard the ”in the pits” part at the CLRC.

11 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Really? I didn’t know that. Why not? Is this a recent change?

Craig Cook must not have heard the ”in the pits” part at the CLRC.

Been part of the rules for a few years now, H&S.  They are also supposed to have their cut-outs attached to their or their/ their mechanics body at all times the engine is running but how often do we see some of them remove it from their arm at the end of a race - this is also H&S because should a fault/accident occur, the bike could charge off and cause injury. 

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Been part of the rules for a few years now, H&S.  They are also supposed to have their cut-outs attached to their or their/ their mechanics body at all times the engine is running but how often do we see some of them remove it from their arm at the end of a race - this is also H&S because should a fault/accident occur, the bike could charge off and cause injury. 

Saw James Pearson take his cut off from his wrist immediately after the race while going down the back straight after a heat win last night, not saying it's right or wrong, but if it's a rule, enforce it or do away with it if you're not going to enforce it

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Yea that’s me and your first question was correctly answered by another post.

As for your second question, you don’t really notice anything when you are focusing on a race haha!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Interesting. I didn’t know that. It’s impressive how far HSE has come. When I first attended speedway meetings at Shawfield, you walked through/past the pits on the way in. Jesper Olsen almost knocked me over about fifty times. Now, correctly, you can’t get near them and the riders aren’t allowed on their bikes.

I don’t remember who it was exactly, but I’m sure it was Paul Bentley and James Grieves; in 2004, one of them pulled the others cut-off on the back straight at Ashfield after they secured a 5-1. It was funny at the time.

1 minute ago, jduffill said:

Yea that’s me and your first question was correctly answered by another post.

As for your second question, you don’t really notice anything when you are focusing on a race haha!

Thanks!

Thanks mate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Interesting. I didn’t know that. It’s impressive how far HSE has come. When I first attended speedway meetings at Shawfield, you walked through/past the pits on the way in. Jesper Olsen almost knocked me over about fifty times. Now, correctly, you can’t get near them and the riders aren’t allowed on their bikes.

I don’t remember who it was exactly, but I’m sure it was Paul Bentley and James Grieves; in 2004, one of them pulled the others cut-off on the back straight at Ashfield after they secured a 5-1. It was funny at the time.

Nothing wrong with that, the engine would've stopped if not re-attached very quickly, so no risk.  I saw Billy Sanders do that years ago to an opposition rider as they were arriving at the tapes - was all in fun mind.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Nothing wrong with that, the engine would've stopped if not re-attached very quickly, so no risk.  I saw Billy Sanders do that years ago to an opposition rider as they were arriving at the tapes - was all in fun mind.

Yeah, they were joking with each other too.

Just to Thank BSN for coverage this season, really well done,  brilliant quality pictures and a nice relaxing way it’s is presented.Outstanding value for money.
WELL DONE GUYS.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I still believe it's pretty good value, but the prices have gone up alarmingly:

2022: £152

2023: £209 +37.5%

2024: £250 +19.6%

Edited by iainb