British Speedway Forum
edmon

Monarchs Academy 2023

5 hours ago, mc131 said:

Does it really matter at least he's got a ride in the championship & NDL as a few will miss out & I for 1 would love to see him in a diamonds race bib this season but sadly that's never going to happen in the foreseeable is it 

Roynon shouldn't really be in this league should he, but he'll earn a stack of cash, double his average and lap most of the riders.... 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Roynon shouldn't really be in this league should he, but he'll earn a stack of cash, double his average and lap most of the riders.... 

Based on what? Good experienced rider who will help progress the younger guys in the team. What every team needs. Double his average and lap most of the riders. We are talking about Adam roynon here and not Tai Woffinden. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Based on what? Good experienced rider who will help progress the younger guys in the team. What every team needs. Double his average and lap most of the riders. We are talking about Adam roynon here and not Tai Woffinden. 

Personally think it's good to have British riders like Adam in the league sets the bar for the younger ones to reach. Not sure it's the correct average he's been given but I'm sure someone can get the exact reason why it's a 6 

14 hours ago, Islander15 said:

Brits do not get a reduction in the NL. Prior to this season they were all British. Similarly you don’t take a British reduction off the Championship average before doubling, you just double it. 

A simple no would have done. 

9 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Does it really matter at least he's got a ride in the championship & NDL as a few will miss out & I for 1 would love to see him in a diamonds race bib this season but sadly that's never going to happen in the foreseeable is it 

No issue with him in nl its the 6 average when he should b 8+

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Dog said:

Thats a bit optimistic, i don't recall any riders being lapped last year (unless for fall/mistake) and thats counting top number 1's out with rookie reserves. From what i saw of Adam he isn't a top number 1 and i don't think he will put much more than a point or so on his average (still useful enough) but if you compare to other middle order riders on similar/higher averages Hagon, Woolley, Spooner etc he looks a good deal better.

Edited by Sings4Speedway
added a bit

12 hours ago, The Dog said:

He’s eligible for this league so it’s fine him being in it. He’s a high quality rider and he has a high average that reflects that, but that must be used. Not a middle order average. 
The issue is he should’ve been competing for a team place against the likes of Jenkins, Edwards, Bickley, the Thompsons, Stoneman, Shanes etc and not against Spooner, Perry, Hagon, Scott, Trigger, Kingston, Warren etc. 

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 4

Roynon’s 2023 average is 6.00 because his NDL MA, per the final issue of 2022 averages, was 6.00. Final averages would have been agreed by all teams at the NDL AGM. That part seems fairly straightforward to me.

The reason his final 2022 average was 6.00 is where there could be some confusion. From memory, it was decided last season that the Plymouth vs Armadale match would not count towards the averages due to it being a meaningless match so late in the season and therefore potentially open to manipulation (again, from recollection I believe the same thing happened with Plymouth vs Glasgow in the Championship). Now, whether you agree with that decision or not is very much up for debate (I certainly don’t as it sets a dangerous precedent), but ultimately that was the decision that was made by the governing body at the time. If I am remembering any of this incorrectly then someone please feel free to correct me,.

Whatever your view on whether that match should have counted towards the averages, I’m not sure that Edinburgh or Roynon can take any criticism here with regard to the 2023 season. Every team in the league knew his final average, he was available to them all. And Roynon is willing to do a 600-mile round trip to race NDL which should be commended.

I’m also not sure what people think the pay rates are in the NDL but I would severely doubt he will make ‘a stack’ of money.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jukebox Romeo said:

Roynon’s 2023 average is 6.00 because his NDL MA, per the final issue of 2022 averages, was 6.00. Final averages would have been agreed by all teams at the NDL AGM. That part seems fairly straightforward to me.

The reason his final 2022 average was 6.00 is where there could be some confusion. From memory, it was decided last season that the Plymouth vs Armadale match would not count towards the averages due to it being a meaningless match so late in the season and therefore potentially open to manipulation (again, from recollection I believe the same thing happened with Plymouth vs Glasgow in the Championship). Now, whether you agree with that decision or not is very much up for debate (I certainly don’t as it sets a dangerous precedent), but ultimately that was the decision that was made by the governing body at the time. If I am remembering any of this incorrectly then someone please feel free to correct me,.

Whatever your view on whether that match should have counted towards the averages, I’m not sure that Edinburgh or Roynon can take any criticism here with regard to the 2023 season. Every team in the league knew his final average, he was available to them all. And Roynon is willing to do a 600-mile round trip to race NDL which should be commended.

I’m also not sure what people think the pay rates are in the NDL but I would severely doubt he will make ‘a stack’ of money.

Don’t know what the pay rates are in NDL ,but with the riders in that Academy Team the crowd levels will certainly not be enough to pay them .IMO

Must have good sponsors.

1 hour ago, Jukebox Romeo said:

Weirdly enough the academy were the only place to offer him a spot I believe. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Weirdly enough the academy were the only place to offer him a spot I believe. 

He’s hardly up and coming though,the NDL is becoming an outlet for some easy earnings for a number of these “older” riders.Also Bickley and Hook should not be riding at this level if they have any ambitions.That’s speedway in GB though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

He’s hardly up and coming though,the NDL is becoming an outlet for some easy earnings for a number of these “older” riders.Also Bickley and Hook should not be riding at this level if they have any ambitions.That’s speedway in GB though.

same can be said the likes of Jenkins who is riding in all 3 Leagues

• Like 1

I have no issue with Roynon riding in the NL, my issue is with his average. As I see it:

1) Roynon didn't have a NL ave when he signed for Plymouth, so raced on an assessed 6.00 ave (double is Champ ave)

2) Roynon didn't ride enough matches for a new ave, so still doesn't have a NL average. Should he not then be starting 2023 on double his Champ average (3.56 = 7.12)? The logic for keeping him on a 6.00 ave is beyond me

3) I believe his 4th match for Plymouth didn't count for the averages as it was after the cut-off date for the playoffs. This is the same as what happened in the top 2 leagues. However it makes no sense in this instance, as wether or not the match took place before the cut-off date, neither Plymouth or Armadale could make the top 4!

I strongly dislike this rule as the only possible reason for it, is to stop riders losing on purpose to lower their averages, which is basically suggesting, they expect riders to cheat - a very dissapointing situation!

4) what's even worse is Ashton Boughton ride a 4th match after Roynon's 4th match, but his did count giving him an average. What's the logic of a rule that means a guest will get a new average but a rider in a 1-7 won't?

• Like 3