British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bojangles

NDL predictions 2023

On 3/17/2023 at 1:50 PM, PotteringAround said:

1.  WORKINGTON - A powerful 4 heat leaders and will always have very strong reserves.   Easily the strongest on paper.  Looks a similar build to the Belle Vue team which was expected to win last year's ttle, but they were let down by the form of the McGurk brothers.

2.  EDINBURGH  - Bickley, Hook and Roynon are the strongest heat leader trio in the division.  Spooner & Simpson have the potential to show support.  Nothing really known of Wood.  The only problem could be if the travelling between Poole (CL) and Edinburgh (NL) gets to Roynon.

3.  LEICESTER - The Thompson twins won't drop many points.  Spencer needs to show up regularly as third heat-leader, though Perry, Boughen and James will give strong support especially at home.

4.  BELLE VUE - Don't know much abour Pearson, but he needs to challenge Smith for No.1.  Hagon and Marson battling for the 3rd heat leader spot.  Bottom end is solid, at least at home.

5.  OXFORD - Good top four, and Kileen won't be at reserve long.  But Stoneman and Kileen can be accident prone, they need to stay fit.  Clouting & Fellows aren't the strongest reserves.   

6.  MILDENHALL - Powerful top two.  Don't know much about Congreve, but he and/or Trigger need to offer support.  Bottom end looks weak away.

7.  BERWICK - Connor Coles is on a big average which I don't see him maintaining at No.1.  Blair & Phillips are good heat leaders on their day.  They'll need to find some improvement from the bottom 4 if they are to challenge the big teams.

8.  KENT - Morley is a big No.1, and Ablitt, Woolley, Alcock and King will score well at home, but I see this team travelling very poorly.

1. Bit harsh on McGurk brothers, being conned by any promotion is not nice.

2. Providing Adam can steer clear of injury and with Wood a relative unknown to some lots of surprises to uneducated.

3. Spencer does not receive the credit he deserves, probably underrated because people make assumptions without knowing the lad and his determination. As long as he avoids injury comfortable team and watch Boughen.

4. Oh dear. Scraping the bottom of barrel in lots of areas but lets see.

5. Killeen is not accident prone, just needs coaching properly like most riders to be patient, good prospect under correct tuition.

6. Mildenhall are a special team and always deceive and deliver, Congreve and Trigger will deliver handsomely.

7. Berwick will be okay with Coles, Blair and Phillips. Bottom end all will supply at times when needed.

8. Kent surprised everyone last year and sorely missed Alcock. No worries.

All in all 8 well balanced teams and prefer to watch meetings in the NDL than any other league.

Would not like to make any prediction, but lets have a safe season and no injuries.

Best of sliding to all riding. 

2 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

2. Providing Adam can steer clear of injury and with Wood a relative unknown to some lots of surprises to uneducated.

3. Spencer does not receive the credit he deserves, probably underrated because people make assumptions without knowing the lad and his determination. As long as he avoids injury comfortable team and watch Boughen.

5. Killeen is not accident prone, just needs coaching properly like most riders to be patient, good prospect under correct tuition.

6. Mildenhall are a special team and always deceive and deliver, Congreve and Trigger will deliver handsomely.

7. Berwick will be okay with Coles, Blair and Phillips. Bottom end all will supply at times when needed.

All in all 8 well balanced teams and prefer to watch meetings in the NDL than any other league.

Would not like to make any prediction, but lets have a safe season and no injuries.

Please expand on point one 

16 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Please expand on point one 

Does he not mean good racing and no injuries? Or am I answering for the children? :)

Edited by gazzac

20 hours ago, secsy1 said:

By your comments it seems all 8 teams will make the play-offs lol!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gazzac said:

Does he not mean good racing and no injuries? Or am I answering for the children? :)

Hit the nail on the head.

Wishing all that are involved safe and successful riding.

And yes looking at all the teams will be the most entertaining of all the leagues, with no clear favourite.

• Like 1

Certainly looks a league this year where all teams should win the majority of their home matches and the top spots will be decided by who can find away points and they look a hard find for a couple of teams. I actually think the understrength Kent side will probably score ok on the road a couple of times but also look likely to have a costly home slip up.

• Like 1

I'm slightly depressed about who's going to win a development league. to me, the winners are the teams that unearth and develop a couple of nuggets

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Certainly looks a league this year where all teams should win the majority of their home matches and the top spots will be decided by who can find away points and they look a hard find for a couple of teams. I actually think the understrength Kent side will probably score ok on the road a couple of times but also look likely to have a costly home slip up.

It definitely looks like it's goin to be a competitive season 

3 hours ago, ch958 said:

I'm slightly depressed about who's going to win a development league. to me, the winners are the teams that unearth and develop a couple of nuggets

Thin pickings there but to be fair it is most seasons if you discount the riders who do the hard miles themselves to get practiced, race sharp and in a position to make an impact on the NL. In terms of unearth id more go for riders that raised an eyebrow when signing but developed on like Hodder last year. This year Richardson could be one and its arguable that Leicester have given Max James additional opportunities so could be counted as another but thats about it.   

3 hours ago, ch958 said:

19 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Thin pickings there but to be fair it is most seasons if you discount the riders who do the hard miles themselves to get practiced, race sharp and in a position to make an impact on the NL. In terms of unearth id more go for riders that raised an eyebrow when signing but developed on like Hodder last year. This year Richardson could be one and its arguable that Leicester have given Max James additional opportunities so could be counted as another but thats about it.   

Going to be mostly chicken nuggets this year and not the many gold nuggets of a few seasons ago, but as you say will be a close league and still think there maybe a couple to emerge at the bottom of the pan.....

1.  WORKINGTON - A powerful 4 heat leaders and will always have very strong reserves.  Easily the strongest on paper.  Looks a similar build to the Belle Vue team which was expected to win last year's title, but they were let down by the form of the McGurk brothers.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:46 PM, secsy1 said:

I would say the McGurk brothers were dissapointing last season in that they didn't progress as would've been expected. Not sure o would say Belle Vue were "let down" by their form when the whole team (apart from Hodder) underperformed (away from home mainly).

How were they "conned" by a promotion? Do tell

4 hours ago, ch958 said:

33 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The NL isn't just about finding 3.00 reserves who could become superstars (Harrison, Killeen & James) but also about continued progress of the previous seasons "rising stars" to accurately describe them: Hodder, Perry, Boughen, Trigger, Warren, Scott & Pijper all of these guys could have a future in the Champ & hopefully above. 

That is if Champ promoters use these up & coming Brits instead of flying in Aussies to average below 3.00!

• Like 2

3.  LEICESTER - The Thompson twins won't drop many points.  Spencer needs to show up regularly as third heat-leader, though Perry, Boughen and James will give strong support especially at home.

I honestly think Spencer could end up at reserve, not by any failing on his part, just due to the incredible potential of the riders below him.

• Like 1

The hardest of the 3 leagues to make a prediction, Some of the riders have been in this league a while & have maybe found their level whilst others are just begining their career & are largely unknown. Then of course to fresh new 15 year old starlet that pops up mid-season & the unfortunate injury that often happens.

BELLE VUE - Strong top end with the reliable Jack Smith securing double figures almost every meeting at NDL joined by James Pearson who may gain some confidence at this level & the ever improving Sam Hagon. But I think the Colts will find it tough this season.

BERWICK - I have to be honest in saying there is not much that inspires me with this seven I just hope they enjoy their racing & stay healthy.

EDINBURGH - Adam Roynon is possibly the leagues top trapper & with the CL experience of Bickley & Hook  should do well enough & may well be in the dogfight at the end of the season.

KENT - As with Jack Smith at Belle Vue Ben Morley has a wealth of experience to call upon & with Nathan Ablitt as his number 2 they will not loose many of the big races but it's a long tail to wag.

LEICESTER - A big season is always expected for the Cubs & many would feel this should be the last season for the Thompson twins in NDL. Boughon making an average towards the end of the season may hamper the 15 year old as he will start in the top 5.

MILDENHALL - A top 4 that I think can achieve great results if things go their way, Bowtell can top the averages whilst Complin is superb at this level, trigger should again up his average & the returning Kiwi Congreve may find life easier at this level.

OXFORD - The Chargers track much the same team as last year with Fellows coming in at the bottom. Killeen must establish himself this turn as his long fight for a passport then injury scuppered his chances . It could be a big year at Cowley.

WORKINGTON - Home track advantage will be a big factor for the Cumbrians. Pijper will be the lynch pin as they move forward & I'm sure Bailey can sharpen up his gating at this standard.

Top 3. Oxford, Workington, Mildenhall

• Like 1