British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, mrss said:

I personally think he’s better than Jack Thomas and Jason Edwards, and probably better than Leon Flint.

In terms of natural talent? Because he certainly isn't as a complete package.

I seem to recall that the rising star label was only applicable for two seasons for any rider.

But if Drew Kemp has not been selected by any of the Premiership or Championship clubs  then he needs to take a long hard look at himself & answer his own questions

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

He's defiantly  better than J.Thomas and J.Edwards ...not so sure about L..Flint tho ...

Doesn’t matter what anyone’s opinion is on him, he hasn’t got a team place simply because team’s decision makers consider other riders are better value. Matter closed……..until May, when someone somewhere is under performing and the scramble starts for unattached options.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's not a numbers game on the Rising Star list.

Everyone who can ride these bikes has talent. The issue is whether they have the work ethic or do they just want things to fall in their laps without effort? 

Has he believed his own hype & gained a stinker of an ego? 

Got to say that I haven't seen this "talent" people talk about. 

He certainly isn't up there with Woffinden, Lambert, Bewley at a young age

I don't think it's fair to judge any young Brit against the talents of Woffinden, Lambert & Bewley at a young age. 

5 hours ago, Technik said:

I seem to recall that the rising star label was only applicable for two seasons for any rider.

But if Drew Kemp has not been selected by any of the Premiership or Championship clubs  then he needs to take a long hard look at himself & answer his own questions

That was me er the case, a rider could be a "rising star" for probably 9 seasons (16-24 years old) as long as their average doesn't go too high!

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

But he was talking about the Premiership rising star list so as far as that goes, the numbers are irrelevant. He looks like one of the plum picks for me so the fact nobody has gone with him is staggering. I mean he’s our asset, and yet we’ve gone for Jack Thomas instead. Something definitely amiss there. 

I think Thomas is very promising, so can see why Ipswich went for him, biggest shock pick over Kemp has to be Mulford for me. 2.00 Champ rider (with a sub 8 NL ave) picked ahead of a 5+ Champ rider!

14 hours ago, HGould said:

No doubting his ability at all.

The problem seems to be that a number of Clubs have witness a tendency to go "full strop mode" the minute things don't go his way and a general lack of self confidence meaning he can't cope with adversity.

Some young riders mature more quickly than others and in many Sports and in life, it's when you hit tough times that you define yourself.

He's been at some very good Clubs with excellent mentors available to him, not in the least in 2022 at Wolves and Poole,s o you have to ask what the answer is if Adams and Middleditch can't find the mental and emotional key.

May be a year to reflect on not having a GB place and learning new skills in Poland will be the making of him.  

Contrast with Brennan, very much is peer and equal at age levels, who has fought injury adversity on the Track and huge personal loss off it and come through it apparently tougher and harder and away from his comfort zone.

Agree totally!

Undoubtedly talented especially when he makes a decent gate and gets clear of the pack. If he gets caught in the pack and is in close contact with elbows, legs and bikes hes always the first one to back off.  - Unless he gets more aggressive he won't go much if any further.

Add in all the talk, publicity and book writing which makes him seem like he has a massively over inflated opinion of how good he actually is then its no surprise that hes run out of teams who want to use him.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Agree totally!

Undoubtedly talented especially when he makes a decent gate and gets clear of the pack. If he gets caught in the pack and is in close contact with elbows, legs and bikes hes always the first one to back off.  - Unless he gets more aggressive he won't go much if any further.

Add in all the talk, publicity and book writing which makes him seem like he has a massively over inflated opinion of how good he actually is then its no surprise that hes run out of teams who want to use him.  

Agreed.....Does lack aggression...

23 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's not a numbers game on the Rising Star list.

Everyone who can ride these bikes has talent. The issue is whether they have the work ethic or do they just want things to fall in their laps without effort? 

Has he believed his own hype & gained a stinker of an ego? 

Got to say that I haven't seen this "talent" people talk about. 

He certainly isn't up there with Woffinden, Lambert, Bewley at a young age. 

I made a point of keeping a close eye on him last time I saw him in the flesh as he usually flies under the radar whenever I've seen him. And he looks to be a very good rider technically, not wild, no daft moves. He reminds me a bit of Lee Richardson, Lee could hardly score a point in the early stages of his career and it was a wonder that he stuck at it. If you're the type of rider who is a "steady eddy" you really need to sort your gating out and that's probably Drew's main deficiency. I don't know the guy personally, just from what I've heard on podcasts etc. and he seems a very level headed young lad with a good outlook on the sport. Like I say if you're a see where I am at the first bend and stay there merchant he needs to make sure he's in the points at the first bend, can't really see him riding it balls out scraping the fence pulling Zmarzlik moves to get by his opponents.

• Like 2

I think the laddie needs to stop wearing upside down plant pots on his head, get a haircut, toughen up a bit and spend less time on producing calenders etc. Seems to be a case of more style than substance (of the right sort)

Edited by Hamish McRaker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I think Thomas is very promising, so can see why Ipswich went for him, biggest shock pick over Kemp has to be Mulford for me. 2.00 Champ rider (with a sub 8 NL ave) picked ahead of a 5+ Champ rider!

Cant understand  that ...Strange  decision ....

One of the reasons Kemp hasn't got a Champ spot this year is because he did "too well" last year. Along with the likes of Dan Thompson, Broc Nicol & Dillon Ruml who also can't find Champ team spots. Whereas riders who performed far worse last year Pearson, Fredriksen, Hook, Complin, Heeps & J.Thompson have all been signed up.

• Like 3

Yes Kemp has got one of them averages between 5 and 6.99 which makes it difficult to fit in especially if a team wants to sign high average heatleaders!

That said his lack of progress when he has talked of doing so much more is also a factor!

36 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

One of the reasons Kemp hasn't got a Champ spot this year is because he did "too well" last year. Along with the likes of Dan Thompson, Broc Nicol & Dillon Ruml who also can't find Champ team spots. Whereas riders who performed far worse last year Pearson, Fredriksen, Hook, Complin, Heeps & J.Thompson have all been signed up.

Which is the main reason the points limit feels outdated. 

I'd pick the three that have been left out everyday of the week over the ones you've listed there. 

On Kemp, aggression does feel the key issue to me. Not the Nicki P type, but getting in the right positions then appearing to shut off is all to obvious to even the occasional fan. All a case of running before he could walk, the PR side he does do very well and clearly helped him get some good sponsors in early doors. Needs to start paying back the faith.

18 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

feels like a cash thing, could be the other reason he's struggling over a few of those other names

for some of these riders like drew it seems like they have put them self out of a job which is a real shame .