British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ElmParkRG2

Discovery Plus or BT Sport?

I have heard a rumour that the Grand Prix's and British Speedway coverage is going to be on BT Sport  and not Discovery in 2023.. Can anyone conform or deny this?   If it is only going to be on BT will  I be able to access it on a modern smart TV or will it need an external box?  Will I have to pay subscriptions to BT and/or Discovery and what is the cost? Any information on this latest development would be welcome.

Well Discovery have bought BT Sport. Sounds like they're merging Eurosport and BT Sports channels to form TNT Sports.

Whereas last season the SGP series was on Discovery Plus Sport and Eurosport, this season it'll be available on Discovery Plus Sport and TNT Sports...   ...I suspect.

Can't imagine they'll remove content from Discovery Plus and I imagine TNT Sports will be available via the normal platforms.

Unless SGP doesn't feature on TNT Sports given they will adopt BT Sports content like EPL and ECL. Gallagher Premiership Rugby, MotoGp etc and might not retain the same number of broadcast channels.  SGP might find itself confined to Discovery Plus Sport only.

6 hours ago, enotian said:

Well Discovery have bought BT Sport. Sounds like they're merging Eurosport and BT Sports channels to form TNT Sports.

Whereas last season the SGP series was on Discovery Plus Sport and Eurosport, this season it'll be available on Discovery Plus Sport and TNT Sports...   ...I suspect.

Can't imagine they'll remove content from Discovery Plus and I imagine TNT Sports will be available via the normal platforms.

Unless SGP doesn't feature on TNT Sports given they will adopt BT Sports content like EPL and ECL. Gallagher Premiership Rugby, MotoGp etc and might not retain the same number of broadcast channels.  SGP might find itself confined to Discovery Plus Sport only.

That will do me, I have paid my annual subscription to Discovery+ and that’s what I expect to see, usually with the World best pairs/team championship or whatever they calling it this year.  MotoGP added to it would be a bonus but for me, gone are the days I chucking lots of money at the tv pay sports programs. 

11 hours ago, ElmParkRG2 said:

I have heard a rumour that the Grand Prix's and British Speedway coverage is going to be on BT Sport  and not Discovery in 2023.. Can anyone conform or deny this?   If it is only going to be on BT will  I be able to access it on a modern smart TV or will it need an external box?  Will I have to pay subscriptions to BT and/or Discovery and what is the cost? Any information on this latest development would be welcome.

You can get access to BT Sport via an app, it cost £25 per month or about £15 per month for a 12 month contract. If you have a tablet you can cast the app to a modern TV. Whether you can get the app straight on a modern tv…I don’t know.                
I do know you can put the bt app on a ROKU box and play it from there on your tv (ROKU plugs into a HDMI socket on the tv). ROKU boxes can be got in big Tescos etc or eBay for £25-£50, the lower prices may be 2nd hand on eBay. Loads of other progs on ROKU. I have a ROKU box and it’s good.  I didn’t like the BT tv box, but that me.           
Discovery+ currently cost £60 for full 12 months, maybe £10 per month individually. It’s an app, so available on ROKU, but a Smart tv be able to show it direct too. Lots of sport I like ie motox, mountain bike racing, rally’s, winter sports…so I happy with £60 for the year. SpeedwayGP is spread over 7/8 months so at £10pm it’s better to take the 12 month package @ £60.         
But what exactly is going to happen is not too clear yet, to me anyway. So detail above probably will change in time, but as I paid my £60 to Discovery just a few weeks ago I hoe my SpeedwayGP viewing is safe for this year at least.

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

You can get access to BT Sport via an app, it cost £25 per month or about £15 per month for a 12 month contract. If you have a tablet you can cast the app to a modern TV. Whether you can get the app straight on a modern tv…I don’t know.                
I do know you can put the bt app on a ROKU box and play it from there on your tv (ROKU plugs into a HDMI socket on the tv). ROKU boxes can be got in big Tescos etc or eBay for £25-£50, the lower prices may be 2nd hand on eBay. Loads of other progs on ROKU. I have a ROKU box and it’s good.  I didn’t like the BT tv box, but that me.           
Discovery+ currently cost £60 for full 12 months, maybe £10 per month individually. It’s an app, so available on ROKU, but a Smart tv be able to show it direct too. Lots of sport I like ie motox, mountain bike racing, rally’s, winter sports…so I happy with £60 for the year. SpeedwayGP is spread over 7/8 months so at £10pm it’s better to take the 12 month package @ £60.         
But what exactly is going to happen is not too clear yet, to me anyway. So detail above probably will change in time, but as I paid my £60 to Discovery just a few weeks ago I hoe my SpeedwayGP viewing is safe for this year at least.

It's actually £6.99 per month. So 8 months would be 55.92.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

That will do me, I have paid my annual subscription to Discovery+ and that’s what I expect to see, usually with the World best pairs/team championship or whatever they calling it this year.  MotoGP added to it would be a bonus but for me, gone are the days I chucking lots of money at the tv pay sports programs. 

If I remember correctly, this year, for this year only, the Wold Cup reverts to the old, pre Discovery Plus format. The plan was for the old format to be every three years but I don't know if that has changed.

• Like 1

If you are with bt, discovery plus app is free

On 2/23/2023 at 2:02 PM, Badge said:

If you are with bt, discovery plus app is free

Same with Sky...

Are the GP's still broadcast on YouTube for areas of the world that have no TV contract in place? Or does Discovery cover the whole planet?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

The GPs and British Speedway will move over to TNT sport later on in the summer but at present the GPs will also be available via Discovery app as well 

Edited by flagrag

10 hours ago, flagrag said:

The GPs and British Speedway will move over to TNT sport later on in the summer but at present the GPs will also be available via Discovery app as well 

Does this mean it will be disappearing behind a pay wall again? I thought one of the main factors why the BSPL "chose" Eurosport was to make it "free to air" throughout Europe?

Keep Speedway on Eurosport with World Superbikes & British Superbikes, because it's free and its very good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

What’s TNT ?

Rebranding of Bt Sport 

• Thanks 1