British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Oxford v Swindon Select - Rescheduled April 19

2 hours ago, YerRopes said:

I used to go Eastville in those two seasons, crowds of around 8/9K, dog track left a lot to be desired as a race track though. 

However, you could get closer to the racing as a result. I can still picture Michael Lee flying around the outside, just a few feet in front of me. Quite scary. 

As for Steve Gresham, you are right there Steve, I didn't know a single Swindon fan who liked him in the Bulldog's colours. 

He turned that around when he joined the Robins though, he was a hard rider and rarely gave up. 

A nice man off the track, I believe.. 

They didn’t call him Steve the heave for nothing !

2 hours ago, Toady said:

When they spoke to peter shroek tonight he indicated that they (Oxford) put the Swindon team together and included the best so they could have a fair challenge. so I think you may be right

If that was the best  I would hate to see the worst 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Toady said:

They didn’t call him Steve the heave for nothing !

...he wasn't adversed to getting involved in off-track "scuffles" either as Ian Thomas and Barry Briggs would testify!

8 hours ago, orion said:

If that was the best  I would hate to see the worst 

Yeh I should have said of available riders.

They also spoke to roscoe about the Swindon situation who came across a bit sheepish and could only say” let’s see what happens”, not the roscoe of old who always had plenty to say !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sandking072 said:

Would anyone have the race times for this meeting please? Thanks in advance. 

1/ 57.66,     2/59.97,      3/ 58.34,      4/ 58.32,      5/ 58.50,     6/ 58.91,     7/ 59.71,     8/ 60.00,      9/59.65,      10/ 60.35,      11/ 59.38,       12/ 59.56,       13/ 59.79,        14/ 60.50

Sorry missed the last one

• Thanks 1

Ht 15 59.66

Note that ht 1 was just 0.05 outside the track record

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Ht 15 59.66

Note that ht 1 was just 0.05 outside the track record

Thank you!,  yes it was very close to the record

Did many Swoinedown fans make the trip up the a420, was it record crowd? According to the Swindon Advertiser nearly 1000 Robins fans were there, out of 3500? Possible track share with the Ox.? A mate had a ticket was going to go but had to work late, a case for paying on the door on the day, lost 22 quid.

Sack Rosco, and Doyle and Ellis:D. didn't win a race.

Good luck to Oxfam for the season, with all these tracks closing a beacon of light for British speedway.

Edited by auntie doris

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Did many Swoinedown fans make the trip up the a420, was it record crowd? According to the Swindon Advertiser nearly 1000 Robins fans were there, out of 3500? Possible track share with the Ox.? A mate had a ticket was going to go but had to work late, a case for paying on the door on the day, lost 22 quid.

Sack Rosco, and Doyle and Ellis:D. didn't win a race.

Good luck to Oxfam for the season, with all these tracks closing a beacon of light for British speedway.

You can buy a ticket when you get to the stadium, but online only as far as I'm aware.

It's been done to death since Oxford reopened so I doubt it's changing anytime soon

5 hours ago, mel said:

1/ 57.66,     2/59.97,      3/ 58.34,      4/ 58.32,      5/ 58.50,     6/ 58.91,     7/ 59.71,     8/ 60.00,      9/59.65,      10/ 60.35,      11/ 59.38,       12/ 59.56,       13/ 59.79,        14/ 60.50

Sorry missed the last one

Thank you very much.

Apparently both Gordon Kennett & Colin Ackroyd were present?

Bert Harkins was in the resturant and Mike broadbank was on the centre green, I think roscoe tried to get him to ride!

26 minutes ago, Toady said:

Bert Harkins was in the resturant and Mike broadbank was on the centre green, I think roscoe tried to get him to ride!

Great that all these stars from yesteryear paid Cowley a visit.