British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Phil Morris appointed Premiership CEO

About 25 years late but maybe better late than never - let’s hope all the aspirations are actually realised!!! Let’s hope he is ‘allowed’ to be effective! 

9 hours ago, BuxtonTiger said:

Can anyone advise where the money for Mr Morris's wages is coming from?

Discovery+??

9 hours ago, BuxtonTiger said:

It’s only part time.

38 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

It’s only part time.

Even if it's only one day a week, it still needs to be funded - and a CEO won't be on minimum wage.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
  • Like 1

If he can sort out the mess that is British speedway it'll be money well spent.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Even if it's only one day a week, it still needs to be funded - and a CEO won't be on minimum wage.

I don’t think anyone said he would be but it’s always helpful to state the bleeding obvious. So thanks.

12 hours ago, BuxtonTiger said:

And the relevance of this question?? 

Every club pays in to BSP Ltd every year. It'll financed by that. 

3 hours ago, Grand Central said:

It’s only part time.

Yes & No. He'll have to visit every Premiership track on all Monday & Thursdays to oversee the running of meetings, from track prep to close. 

Will be a similar position & work alongside on occasions, with what Tony Steele on behalf of ACU & SCB. 

It's one hell of a job he's taking on. Probably won't see any real change for 2-3 seasons. 

Over seeing the rule book & working for Discovery (especially temp track weeks) & BSP Ltd is going to be nuts busy for the guy. 

Good luck to Phil :t:

• Like 2

I have to admit that when I first saw Phil ride as a sixteen old he seemed wild on a bike (understandably) but my opinion changed (racing for the "enemy" the Reading "Berks" didn't help) when I saw a documentary some years later when he was the focus of attention and he came across as a likeable and very articulate individual...good luck to him!

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

And the relevance of this question?? 

Every club pays in to BSP Ltd every year. It'll financed by that. 

Yes & No. He'll have to visit every Premiership track on all Monday & Thursdays to oversee the running of meetings, from track prep to close. 

As long as no Championship club has had to help finance it! ;) There is no way he can or will be at every Premiership meeting - maybe just the televised ones, as part of his remit is to make the TV meetings 'more entertaining' for the viewer!!:t:

Edited by Skidder1

On 3/1/2023 at 6:23 AM, NeilWatson said:

BRITISH Speedway is delighted to announce the appointment of Phil Morris as its Premiership Chief Executive Officer.

47-year-old Morris will be a major decision-maker at the top of the Premiership, both in terms of rulebook interpretation and race-night operations, and the specifics of his role also include an active involvement in the running of televised meetings.

“He will be tasked with making sure the rulebook is as simple and easy to follow as possible, both for those involved within the sport and also for the fans, and that it is absolutely understood and adhered to.

I shall be very interested to see how Phil's role dovetails with the role of the SCB,  especially as his role is focused on the Premiership. 

Jim Lawrence, in his role at SCB, made a big play in his Speedway Star interview of his intention to re-write and simplify the rule book. I hope part of Phil's role is to work with SCB on this. What happens if they disagree? Presumably SCB has the final say? 

In terms of interpretation have all Premiership clubs agreed that his interpretation is final? How long before one team is aggrieved and appeals to SCB?

What happens if interpretation is required in the Championship or NDL? Do the BSPL Management Committee make those decisions?

I predict Phil's role will need to be widened before the season ends or there will be tears!

Edited by Sir Sidney

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

He'll have to visit every Premiership track on all Monday & Thursdays to oversee the running of meetings, from track prep to close. 

I assume you were saying this in jest.

9 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

If he can sort out the mess that is British speedway it'll be money well spent.

Don't ask for much? Not sure even the genie from Aladdin could give you that wish! ;):D

• Haha 1

Has he got a new 5 year plan ? :D

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Littleze said:

The man who over saw the Cardiff GP fiasco… no thanks. Get an outsider “in”.

We’re you there? It was due to how hot it was. Unfortunately no one can control the weather

• Haha 2