British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Phil Morris appointed Premiership CEO

14 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

We’re you there? It was due to how hot it was. Unfortunately no one can control the weather

I was there and yes it was hot but Morris is not blameless, we have been racing there for over 20 years, they should know how to get the track right whatever the weather considering it has a roof which was closed so it wasn't just the heat that was at fault,gp2 the next day was even worse. 

Edited by foreverblue

47 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I was there and yes it was hot but Morris is not blameless, we have been racing there for over 20 years, they should know how to get the track right whatever the weather considering it has a roof which was closed so it wasn't just the heat that was at fault,gp2 the next day was even worse. 

I don't think that it was actually the weather that caused the problems. I believe it was found that stones had been allowed to get into the shale mix, making it unable to bind as normally expected.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I don't think that it was actually the weather that caused the problems. I believe it was found that stones had been allowed to get into the shale mix, making it unable to bind as normally expected.

Not heard that before

17 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Not heard that before

Sounds familiar to me, think it was suggested at the time and possibly the result of being stored for three years instead of one?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Sounds a reasonable explanation so Morris was unlucky to have to deal with that and hopefully won't happen again 

On 3/1/2023 at 6:23 AM, NeilWatson said:

47-year-old Morris will be a major decision-maker at the top of the Premiership, both in terms of rulebook interpretation and race-night operations, and the specifics of his role also include an active involvement in the running of televised meetings.
BSP Ltd Director and Ipswich promoter Chris Louis said: “The Premiership CEO is a new role which we all agreed was very much needed and I think the timing is right, especially with what’s going on in the world of speedway.

“He will be tasked with making sure the rulebook is as simple and easy to follow as possible, both for those involved within the sport and also for the fans, and that it is absolutely understood and adhered to.

My first thought: they mention Morris being the decision maker in terms of rulebook interpretation - it's a shame they realise the rulebook can be interpreted many ways & have to hire someone to make sense of it!

Ideally you'd want a rulebook that can only be interpreted in one way?

At least they mention he's in charge of making the rulebook simple & easy to follow. That should be a priority!

• Like 2

Interesting, initially there will a positive spin on put on the appointment of Morris as CEO but if he becomes radical and makes or suggests changes that promotors with money invested in there clubs just don’t like, then the cracks will appear. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist but Morris isn’t really qualified as he has never run a speedway club let alone a speedway league and he will find out fairly quickly that unless you have skin in the game ie CASH you don’t have much clout. The power is always with the owners/promoters full stop. The job will be so different to running a well oiled and tested GP. 

18 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Interesting, initially there will a positive spin on put on the appointment of Morris as CEO but if he becomes radical and makes or suggests changes that promotors with money invested in there clubs just don’t like, then the cracks will appear. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist but Morris isn’t really qualified as he has never run a speedway club let alone a speedway league and he will find out fairly quickly that unless you have skin in the game ie CASH you don’t have much clout. The power is always with the owners/promoters full stop. The job will be so different to running a well oiled and tested GP. 

Making the rules is not his job. This will still be on the Promoters. He will recommend ideas & be sole interpreter of said rules. 

No longer (as happens all to often) one promoter rings another on how they interpreted a rule. If it's not what they want to hear they'd ring another until they get the answer they wanted to hear. Then stake claim that it not just them that sees a certain situation as they do, and works it to their own benefit. 

With Phil Morris as sole interpretater it's his way only & matter of fact. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Spot on !!

7 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Maybe his appointment is being encouraged/led by Discovery? 

Their sporting hierarchy will know him via the GPs..

Maybe they see what Speedway can be when they see how it is ran, followed, and covered in Poland and want to try and replicate it over here? 

The sport in the UK has generally got viewing figures that "punches above its weight", so possibly they feel that if they could get rid of the "Mickey Mouse" rules and reputation of its leagues, then UK Soeedway may become a relatively inexpensive to cover (for them) success story?

Europsrt/Discovery will be used to dealing with bone fide CEO's and business leaders, and, with the best will in the world, I would suggest those who try and administer it currently are only willing amateurs, without a lot of the required skill set to run a major professional sport,, who are "doing the best they can" to run things.

Hence UK Speedway remains very much a minor professional sport in the UK...

Best of luck to Phil, his starting point this season with some major talent returning has good timing for him...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Making the rules is not his job. This will still be on the Promoters. He will recommend ideas & be sole interpreter of said rules. 

No longer (as happens all to often) one promoter rings another on how they interpreted a rule. If it's not what they want to hear they'd ring another until they get the answer they wanted to hear. Then stake claim that it not just them that sees a certain situation as they do, and works it to their own benefit. 

With Phil Morris as sole interpretater it's his way only & matter of fact. 

His job is to make sure there is no ambiguity in the rules which is difficult to do currently and the rules are not open to interpretation. His job is to make sure the spirit of the laws are upheld, I believe he will need legal help to achieve this or we will get the situation like last season. 

How does Phil Morris change the rulebook?

The rulebook 'belongs' to the ACU/SCB, except for the sections on league racing rules, for which responsibility has been delegated to the BSPL. 

But Phil has been appointed by Premiership promoters ( whose only influence over the rulebook is as BSPL members), so how can he change rules that effect the Championship clubs without them having a say? And if the solution is to allow changes that just effect the Premiership but not the Championship that further complicates the rulebook.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Unfortunately no one can control the weather

That's a shame, I was rather hoping he'd stop the sun delays we get at Leicester by stopping it from setting between 19:30 and 21:30... I think we need somebody else!

• Haha 1

It’s the start of an independent body hopefully. 

im all for it. And no better guy to do it. 

good luck Phil 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

It’s the start of an independent body hopefully. 

im all for it. And no better guy to do it. 

good luck Phil 

Not doing a Manchester City here is he, being on Belle Vue's 'back-door' payroll somewhere down the line?? 

You always know something & to be happy it must benefit Belle Vue, I'm VEEEEEEEEEEERY suspicious now:party:

Zmarzlik for Mulford 24hrs before the Play-Off Final already planned is it? Huh, huh, huh, huh, yep, yep. I gotcha han't I :lol: