British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

SGP and SGP 2 qualifying round nominations

With 3 Poles, 3 Swedes, & 3 Danes already qualified I can't see another being selected as a wildcard.

A Czech would be picked as they always support these events so Klima as the best in the rounds.

Then a British rider & as the same reason as above it would be Rowe.

The third choice is a lottery Maybe a second Brit or Czech with Gilkes & Chulpac in the running

42 minutes ago, Technik said:

With 3 Poles, 3 Swedes, & 3 Danes already qualified I can't see another being selected as a wildcard.

A Czech would be picked as they always support these events so Klima as the best in the rounds.

Then a British rider & as the same reason as above it would be Rowe.

The third choice is a lottery Maybe a second Brit or Czech with Gilkes & Chulpac in the running

Problem is there is a Pole and a couple of Danes who deserve a Wild Card going by the stark results.

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Problem is there is a Pole and a couple of Danes who deserve a Wild Card going by the stark results.

I would not disagree that they are deserving of a place in the finals but there are other Nations that have no riders in the top 12 & with only 3 slots to fill I'm sure the powers would prefer to see more flags flying than more riders under the same flag.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Technik said:

I'm sure the powers would prefer to see more flags flying than more riders under the same flag.

pretty confident that's the way the FIM will see it

11 hours ago, stevehone said:

pretty confident that's the way the FIM will see it

Might get a couple of Brits.You would think Rowe would get a place at least.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

A pretty grim effort from the GB riders. Two years in a row now that no one has qualified for SGP2 on merit. There doesn't seem to be a lot coming through and can't see any of the current lot and Brennan making much of an impact at the top of the sport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Might get a couple of Brits.You would think Rowe would get a place at least.

If any country is getting TWO wildcards it would be Czechia.

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

A pretty grim effort from the GB riders. Two years in a row now that no one has qualified for SGP2 on merit. There doesn't seem to be a lot coming through and can't see any of the current lot and Brennan making much of an impact at the top of the sport. 

No disrespect meant (as Simon is now officially an Aces legend after the play off final):D, but the current crop will be more Simon Lambert, than Robert Lambert..

Good for filling spaces in teams in the UK (much needed too), but not going to break into the world level..

Interesting to see both Rowe and Kemp are "improving" in Poland in that ultra professional and pressurised environment.

Definitely the place for them to stay, do the "hard yards" and hopefully reap the rewards in a few years.. 

Its the first time in a long while that we havent had a "talent" emerge at 16 or so, that you could clearly say is destined for the top level..

Maybe a few U24 test matches against the emerging Swedes and Danes would be worth doing..?

Some decent talent on display I would suggest which would generate decent crowds at fhe right tracks..

We could take Poland on at Monmore, Plymouth and Buxton..:D

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Its the first time in a long while that we havent had a "talent" emerge at 16 or so, that you could clearly say is destined for the top level..

Maybe a few U24 test matches against the emerging Swedes and Danes would be worth doing..?

I'd argue that's been the natural state for the best part of 15-20 years, with Robert Lambert and Dan Bewley in quick succession being the exceptions that have helped mask our decline.

Between 2010 and 2015 the top Brit in the World under 21 was Stefan Nielsen - 12th in 2015.

Yes to test matches, if only they were logistically and financially possible.

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

I'd argue that's been the natural state for the best part of 15-20 years, with Robert Lambert and Dan Bewley in quick succession being the exceptions that have helped mask our decline.

Between 2010 and 2015 the top Brit in the World under 21 was Stefan Nielsen - 12th in 2015.

Yes to test matches, if only they were logistically and financially possible.

Since I returned to watching Speedway in 1988, there has been Screen, Havelock, Louis, Loram, Woffy, Lambert and Bewley that I have seen their whole career unfold, with all of them clearly being of a much higher standard than their contemporaries at a similar age..

You do have a certain "glide path" it seems which suggests you really need to be a top league HL within three or four years to continue your progress to the top, with a No1 berth five or six years in being the target..

If your not in GP's seven or eight years or so into your career then your level is pretty much set..

Not many do a "Jason Doyle" and almost overnight, it appeared, go from reserve to World Class...

Looking at how many Poles, (and other Eastern Europeans), Swedes and Danes are coming through at U24 level, the UK lads have some serious challenges on to break through to the higher levels..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Since I returned to watching Speedway in 1988, there has been Screen, Havelock, Louis, Loram, Woffy, Lambert and Bewley that I have seen their whole career unfold, with all of them clearly being of a much higher standard than their contemporaries at a similar age..

You do have a certain "glide path" it seems which suggests you really need to be a top league HL within three or four years to continue your progress to the top, with a No1 berth five or six years in being the target..

If your not in GP's seven or eight years or so into your career then your level is pretty much set..

Not many do a "Jason Doyle" and almost overnight, it appeared, go from reserve to World Class...

Looking at how many Poles, (and other Eastern Europeans), Swedes and Danes are coming through at U24 level, the UK lads have some serious challenges on to break through to the higher levels..

The SGP2  matches at the week end certainly show the challenges Young Brits have.Brennan is our most consistent “up and comer”he was a No8 in Polish 1st Division at the weekend and didn’t even get a ride.!

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The SGP2  matches at the week end certainly show the challenges Young Brits have.Brennan is our most consistent “up and comer”he was a No8 in Polish 1st Division at the weekend and didn’t even get a ride.!

I have seen Tom Brennan rise swiftly to the stage he was at last season. his start to this season has been slower I would go so far as to say he is not at the level he finished at last term. Like many others he has reached a position where he has come to rest, the question is can he get past this to improve further & make it to the next stage.

I have seen so many enjoy their racing until it becomes to hard for them, the pressure of needing to score well is to much. Gone is the time of hearing that kid is going to be the best to hearing he's not going to make it & some fall by the wayside others continue to be long time NDL riders just to enjoy their speedway

11 minutes ago, Technik said:

I have seen Tom Brennan rise swiftly to the stage he was at last season. his start to this season has been slower I would go so far as to say he is not at the level he finished at last term. Like many others he has reached a position where he has come to rest, the question is can he get past this to improve further & make it to the next stage.

I have seen so many enjoy their racing until it becomes to hard for them, the pressure of needing to score well is to much. Gone is the time of hearing that kid is going to be the best to hearing he's not going to make it & some fall by the wayside others continue to be long time NDL riders just to enjoy their speedway

Tom is still developing,he’s is riding well when I have seen him a couple of times.But like you say it’s a big step to the next level.GB is well behind European and Scandinavian Countries at junior level.There is still only a few who will make the Top though.

Poland certainly give their youngsters every opportunity and it is cut throat with the numbers they have got.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Tom is still developing,he’s is riding well when I have seen him a couple of times.But like you say it’s a big step to the next level.GB is well behind European and Scandinavian Countries at junior level.There is still only a few who will make the Top though.

Poland certainly give their youngsters every opportunity and it is cut throat with the numbers they have got.

The 2nd Tier should have two British U21 riders per team ring fenced for 3 rides a night each...

And then move up organically as they progress, (or not as the case may be)..

The Poles reap what they saw in this regard.....

• Like 2