British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Edinburgh Monarchs vs Glasgow Tigers (BSN Series) - Friday 7th April

13 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

Can anyone explain how Chris Harris was able to come in as a tactical sub in heat 14? Is this a new BSN format rule? I didn't understand it seeing that the Tigers were only down by 6 points.

Tac sub has been 6 down for a few years now I thought, hasn’t it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickinho said:

My thoughts on the two teams after last night's meeting:

1   Chris Harris rode like a number one and looks really 'dialed in' for this season.

2   Josh Pickering is the most inconsistent gater i've ever seen but one of the most exciting racers. Frustratingly brilliant.

3   Marcin Novak is terrible on every track that isn't named Ashfield.

4   Tom Brennan has plateaued. He's still young but i don't think there is a 'next level' for him but i could be wrong, i often am ;) 

5   A few people in the crowd grumbled about Kyle Bickley but he was on pace all night and was unlucky in heat 2. He certainly won't be the worst reserve in the Championship this season.

6   Ace Pijper would have benefited from one more full season in the NDL as he looks a step behind all the other riders on track.

7   Cookie was sheer class and looks like he's moved on from his miserable final season in Glasgow.

8   Claus Vissing looks every inch the 8 point heat leader he used to be and will play a key part if Glasgow are to push for silverware this season.

9   There was a lot of talk before last night's meeting about Kye Thomson needing to take a step up this season and after his opening ride that talk didn't get much better. However, his set-up was way off in that race, his bike lacked any real speed and he was left trailing and that was clearly highlighted by his following three rides where he looked different class and ended the meeting with 8 points, thus putting an end to any worries. I think he will be a really good No. 3 over the course of this year.

10  Paco was a completely contrary Paco last night, he did brilliantly in every race apart from his usually favourite Heat 14 :D  Is this the new Paco and if so who will step up to keep the Monarchs competitive in that heat? You gotta love his passion though. Top class.

11  Jacob Hook looks like he's made a lot of progress on last season and his 6 points from 4 rides were very well earned. I can confidently predict that he can maintain that kind of score over future meetings, certainly around Armadale anyway.

12   Lasse was well worth his 6 points from the traditionally difficult 2 spot and will easily justify his 4 point starting average when the season really gets underway.

13  Lee Complin spoke a lot over the offseason about his need to come back slimmer and fitter. Last night he still looked decidedly 'big boned' and reminded me of Lee Dicken. Did Cammy get the two Lee's mixed up and re-employ the 'funky chicken' by mistake..?

Please note these are just my opinions and based on the results of just one meeting. I may well be eating my words after Sunday... :) I've been more complimentary about the Monarchs riders but i believe that this is due in part to my slightly higher expectations from the Tigers this year. Benjamin Basso didn't put a foot wrong but i was expecting him to really blaze a trail this season and he probably still will but there are times (except around Ashfield) when he doesn't really seem to have that 'killer instinct'. He scored 9 points from 4 rides so i've no right to criticize him but he really should have been fighting with the team manager to get put out in Heat 15 over the underperforming Tom (yes, i know Tom is the captain but a good captain makes sacrifices for his team). I'm not privy to what goes on in the pits but young Mr Basso has to be more confident in these kinds of matters as well as in his on-track ability which is there for all to see. Good marks though for Chris, Claus AND Ben and they all performed really well in Tiger Red. I'm looking forward to Sunday already.

Bickley has been on the pace the last 3 seasons,he just doesn’t pass if there is anyone in front of him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nickinho said:

My thoughts on the two teams after last night's meeting:

1   Chris Harris rode like a number one and looks really 'dialed in' for this season.

2   Josh Pickering is the most inconsistent gater i've ever seen but one of the most exciting racers. Frustratingly brilliant.

3   Marcin Novak is terrible on every track that isn't named Ashfield.

4   Tom Brennan has plateaued. He's still young but i don't think there is a 'next level' for him but i could be wrong, i often am ;) 

5   A few people in the crowd grumbled about Kyle Bickley but he was on pace all night and was unlucky in heat 2. He certainly won't be the worst reserve in the Championship this season.

6   Ace Pijper would have benefited from one more full season in the NDL as he looks a step behind all the other riders on track.

7   Cookie was sheer class and looks like he's moved on from his miserable final season in Glasgow.

8   Claus Vissing looks every inch the 8 point heat leader he used to be and will play a key part if Glasgow are to push for silverware this season.

9   There was a lot of talk before last night's meeting about Kye Thomson needing to take a step up this season and after his opening ride that talk didn't get much better. However, his set-up was way off in that race, his bike lacked any real speed and he was left trailing and that was clearly highlighted by his following three rides where he looked different class and ended the meeting with 8 points, thus putting an end to any worries. I think he will be a really good No. 3 over the course of this year.

10  Paco was a completely contrary Paco last night, he did brilliantly in every race apart from his usually favourite Heat 14 :D  Is this the new Paco and if so who will step up to keep the Monarchs competitive in that heat? You gotta love his passion though. Top class.

11  Jacob Hook looks like he's made a lot of progress on last season and his 6 points from 4 rides were very well earned. I can confidently predict that he can maintain that kind of score over future meetings, certainly around Armadale anyway.

12   Lasse was well worth his 6 points from the traditionally difficult 2 spot and will easily justify his 4 point starting average when the season really gets underway.

13  Lee Complin spoke a lot over the offseason about his need to come back slimmer and fitter. Last night he still looked decidedly 'big boned' and reminded me of Lee Dicken. Did Cammy get the two Lee's mixed up and re-employ the 'funky chicken' by mistake..?

Please note these are just my opinions and based on the results of just one meeting. I may well be eating my words after Sunday... :) I've been more complimentary about the Monarchs riders but i believe that this is due in part to my slightly higher expectations from the Tigers this year. Benjamin Basso didn't put a foot wrong but i was expecting him to really blaze a trail this season and he probably still will but there are times (except around Ashfield) when he doesn't really seem to have that 'killer instinct'. He scored 9 points from 4 rides so i've no right to criticize him but he really should have been fighting with the team manager to get put out in Heat 15 over the underperforming Tom (yes, i know Tom is the captain but a good captain makes sacrifices for his team). I'm not privy to what goes on in the pits but young Mr Basso has to be more confident in these kinds of matters as well as in his on-track ability which is there for all to see. Good marks though for Chris, Claus AND Ben and they all performed really well in Tiger Red. I'm looking forward to Sunday already.

A bit unfair of your review on Nowak as he only rode in 3 away tracks in 2021, granted he did nothing at Berwick or Edinburgh, but they are traditionally difficult tracks for newcomers, he got 5+1 at Poole, he also had only his Polish engine which is too strong for UK tracks, this season he has brought his own equipment and engines will not be tuned to Polish tracks, I don't expect him to get double figures away from home but he should at least get a couple of points away from home, lets face it , no-one expected him to win heat 8, I think he will do well at a couple of tracks, might struggle at Plymouth and Berwick but will more than make up for it at home

• Like 2

Just my opinion but Novak, complin & piper are massive weak  links & wont last the season I suspect.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Diablo said:

Just my opinion but Novak, complin & piper are massive weak  links & wont last the season I suspect.

Novak probably will last but always thought reserves will cost Glasgow, complin is nl at best now and ace just a season to early imo

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mc131 said:

Novak probably will last but always thought reserves will cost Glasgow, complin is nl at best now and ace just a season to early imo

At least Ace will be gaining experience,Complin is just hanging around for a few Pounds.

7 hours ago, gazzac said:

That's been Tom's nature from a wee lad at Eastbourne, why didn't the others 'want' it I wonder?

when riders have had a good meeting and the tracks greasy and pretty much FTG and  not a great chance  for passing with  the home  team having gate choice i am pretty sure the riders  would rather leave without a last place as their last ride especially claus and basso really bad losers just need to look at their chairs and tool boxes which usually take the kicking mind you Tom was pretty angry with himself after ht 15 

5 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Think that's a pretty decent scoreline on what will probably be our worst track this season given the side we have put together. Nice to see Marcin win a race "at snails pace" in the same time as Harris and Cook in same meeting 

At that point in the meeting yes as he was 1.5 seconds roughly slower than any other point in the night. Same time as heat 14 and 15 which are at the end of the meeting where times get slower as the night goes on with the slicker conditions compared to in the middle of the meeting. Let’s not get away from the fact he’s guff anywhere that’s not Ashfield. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

At that point in the meeting yes as he was 1.5 seconds roughly slower than any other point in the night. Same time as heat 14 and 15 which are at the end of the meeting where times get slower as the night goes on with the slicker conditions compared to in the middle of the meeting. Let’s not get away from the fact he’s guff anywhere that’s not Ashfield. 

What does that make the riders he beat at their own track then :rofl:

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Nowak winning heat 8 was a bonus I didn’t expect regardless of the time he won it in.

I am just glad he got out of there in one piece, you will see a totally different rider tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

What does that make the riders he beat at their own track then :rofl:

Awful in that race anyway. 

7 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Was very large both car parks were full by 7pm which never really happens at all. Hopefully a sign of things to come. 

Anything new on next year's plans. 

Honestly not having a dig. 

Hey, end of the day,  we need each other. 

1 hour ago, Diablo said:

Pijper will 100% not be dropped. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

The poor bugger hasn't ridden five of the other tracks you clown :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The poor bugger hasn't ridden five of the other tracks you clown :D

Don’t confuse Blobby with facts.

• Like 2