British Speedway Forum
rearingtogo

Phil Morris CEO of British Speedway.

15 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Comments from John Louis about the role of Phil Morris

“We want to enhance the professionalism and integrity of the league, as well as making it simple, transparent and fun for the fans to view and understand, and to improve the product and put British speedway back at the top of the tree. Phil can help us do that.”

So much for the integrity following on from the none appearance of Laguta at Monmore on Monday.

The Louis's run a good operation, don't really need any outside assistance, great when you have like minded people running other Clubs, trouble is those people are in a very small minority, the rest make Del Boy look like Richard Branson.

• Like 2

My observation.....

At GPs Phil is clearly "in charge".
He controls track preparation and track maintenance during the meeting.
He controls the flow of a meeting.
He even has a degree of control over the referee.
The riders know he's in charge. 

And just in case you're getting the wrong message, I think he does a great job.

But compare all that with his management of Premiership matches.
It's clear he has no mandate to control meetings in the same way. His remit is more at the guideline level. Not useless, but not game changing either, by any means. Given that clubs have the power to continue to run things their own way, we'll see no improvement in track preparation, track grading, meeting conduct (apart from when the interval is scheduled) or any other facet that adds to our enjoyment as the paying public.

Why was Phil appointed?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, False dawn said:

My observation.....

It's clear he has no mandate to control meetings in the same way. His remit is more at the guideline level. Not useless, but not game changing either, by any means. Given that clubs have the power to continue to run things their own way, we'll see no improvement in track preparation, track grading, meeting conduct (apart from when the interval is scheduled) or any other facet that adds to our enjoyment as the paying public.

Why was Phil appointed?

How long does it take to turn an oil tanker round? Given that Phil is working under the rules and regulations in place before his appointment his direct influence will not be felt until the AGM and next season Did he not say in the article covering his appointment that he would look at everything before discussing/proposing changes? It rings a bell but I'm not sure, for those of you that wish to see sudden tactile change then you need to be addressing your concerns to the best Magician you can find. Phil's no mug and would want to be in the best possible position for any proposals to have a good chance of working before they are implemented.

Let's be honest changes have been implemented for too long without due consideration to the outcome, the BSPAL have been accused of short termism since God was a boy now folk want to criticise Phil for looking at the medium to long term sustainable options. This isn't specifically pointed at you FD but I believe we will start to see Phil's role become more evident in the future.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

How long does it take to turn an oil tanker round? Given that Phil is working under the rules and regulations in place before his appointment his direct influence will not be felt until the AGM and next season Did he not say in the article covering his appointment that he would look at everything before discussing/proposing changes? It rings a bell but I'm not sure, for those of you that wish to see sudden tactile change then you need to be addressing your concerns to the best Magician you can find. Phil's no mug and would want to be in the best possible position for any proposals to have a good chance of working before they are implemented.

Let's be honest changes have been implemented for too long without due consideration to the outcome, the BSPAL have been accused of short termism since God was a boy now folk want to criticise Phil for looking at the medium to long term sustainable options. This isn't specifically pointed at you FD but I believe we will start to see Phil's role become more evident in the future.

I don't take anything you've said personally. I will say that my comments reflect the thoughts of many I speak to on the terraces. I'm happy to give Phil the time he needs, but I would like to see some evidence that individual promoters are in support of his cause. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

I don't take anything you've said personally. I will say that my comments reflect the thoughts of many I speak to on the terraces. I'm happy to give Phil the time he needs, but I would like to see some evidence that individual promoters are in support of his cause. 

Of course, fair point

4 hours ago, False dawn said:

My observation.....

Why was Phil appointed?

I was really hoping that it was at the behest of Discovery...

With the reason being that they could see the potential in the UK version of the sport.. 

But realised it needed someone to be the gatekeeper and almost save the promoters from themselves if the sport was ever to move forward and reach something like its true potential...

Sadly I have since realised it is none of that....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

I was really hoping that it was at the behest of Discovery...

With the reason being that they could see the potential in the UK version of the sport.. 

But realised it needed someone to be the gatekeeper and almost save the promoters from themselves if the sport was ever to move forward and reach something like its true potential...

Sadly I have since realised it is none of that....

Case of Deja Vu in that John Berry soon realised that he wasn't going to be accepted by some of the promoters and very quickly distanced himself from what the posting was hoping to achieve in bringing the sport together back in the late eighties.

On 4/9/2023 at 4:50 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

Why would I even hazard a guess ? I don’t attend Kings Lynn . I’m telling you it’s not the the CoC who has control, it’s the ref, simple as that .

Some tracks don’t have intervals , some do, so they may finish later, but that’s just a guess, try asking the ref at Kings Lynn next time and maybe they will enlighten you.

It actually is the Clerk of the Course who releases the riders onto the track, once he is satisfied they are clear to enter.
The referee controls the 2 minute warning, and in the SGP he switches on the 2 minutes when the Clerk of the Course (Race Director) gives the ok to open the pit gate to let the riders out.

To my knowledge it is no different in British league speedway.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 11:07 AM, staechmann said:

It actually is the Clerk of the Course who releases the riders onto the track, once he is satisfied they are clear to enter.
The referee controls the 2 minute warning, and in the SGP he switches on the 2 minutes when the Clerk of the Course (Race Director) gives the ok to open the pit gate to let the riders out.

To my knowledge it is no different in British league speedway.

Think in GB they can let the riders out of the pits before the 2 min comes on,unlike in GPs and Poland.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 2:45 PM, Fromafar said:

Think in GB they can let the riders out of the pits before the 2 min comes on,unlike in GPs and Poland.

Correct - although the point was who controls the riders going onto the track, and that is the Clerk of the Course :o)

Edited by staechmann
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

If anybody has any doubt what a positive for British Speedway Phil Morris is take a look at his performance at the Coventry Speedway Stadium hearing today. He'd quite clearly done a massive amount of preparation, was well across his brief and was very impressive indeed.

He even managed to "put down" the other side's barrister at one point. Priceless.

• Like 6