British Speedway Forum
rearingtogo

Phil Morris CEO of British Speedway.

12 minutes ago, R87 said:

He can report on audience figures, but kept repeating "I can't tell you".  Sorry,  but that won't wash in a public inquiry and you could see how uncomfortable he looked during his cross examination.

The guy from sport England was woeful,  but Morris wasn't as brilliant as posters here are trying to paint him.  

I think he tried his best very enthusiastic and fair play to him but as you say the total lack of detail when it was asked for from him or Cvs did not come across very well. 

It's not for Phil Morris to say though... they may as well have asked anybody on here. TV viewing figures are discovery's business, Netflix do not release their viewing figures, it's not unique.  He did give crowd numbers for the recent Ipswich match, with their permission.

If they wanted answers to the TV questions they should have called Discovery as witnesses. 

They had a promoter there but neglected to ask him a question about crowd numbers

Edited by iainb
  • Like 4

They did ask CVS and he waffled a figure for a knock out cup final or something but they then chose not to pursue him further

2 hours ago, iainb said:

It's not for Phil Morris to say though... they may as well have asked anybody on here. TV viewing figures are discovery's business, Netflix do not release their viewing figures, it's not unique.  He did give crowd numbers for the recent Ipswich match, with their permission.

If they wanted answers to the TV questions they should have called Discovery as witnesses. 

They had a promoter there but neglected to ask him a question about crowd numbers

They probably knew they weren’t available. Phil made Clarke Osborne look stupid, so he wanted revenge somehow. I still think Phil won over him though. These people don’t come cheap for a reason.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Toady said:

I think he tried his best very enthusiastic and fair play to him but as you say the total lack of detail when it was asked for from him or Cvs did not come across very well. 

Disagree thought Morris made his point quite well.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Deano said:

They probably knew they weren’t available. Phil made Clarke Osborne look stupid, so he wanted revenge somehow. I still think Phil won over him though. These people don’t come cheap for a reason.

You wait till Clarke as is turn, and hold on to your seats 

12 hours ago, iainb said:

I disagree...

He should have talked far more "bigger picture" stuff, using approximate details around size, structure, revenue, attendences, viewing figures, environmental plans, diversity plans, etc etc to beat down the "dying sport" message and detail the future growth strategy...

Any CEO of a National Business would have minutiae details at their disposal to paint the picture of the overall generic business position...

How many trophies he won, how long he rode for etc, for example just muddies the waters and strays off topic...

To validate why he was there, he should solely have mentioned his role in the UK and his global role, using size and structure of the sport domestically and globally to add gravitas to his position..

Any CEO of a business tied into a TV deal, would fundamentally be expected to have real time data as to viewing numbers as they should be working alongside their partners very closely to deliver the mutual successful outcome for both parties..

The way Phil came across was a microcosm of where the sport sits, skill set wise..

Well meaning, but with a very narrow low level strategic plan of action...

The sport in the UK has millions of viewers, has millions who attend over a season, brings in millions of pounds through sponsorship and fan attendance, is pursuing an environmentally friendly policy via ebikes and already uses "green fuel", and is running a  Ladies Championship and has s National Academy for female riders, GB is now comfortably in the top two nations in the world, etc etc etc...

All that, allied to his future strategy for the sport, including Cov, their history, and the huge positive impact the community project would bring to the people of Cov, with a dissection of Clarke's history in the sport, should have been the message...

With his final summary including his vision for the future built using the success of Oxford and Workington, to demonstrate how this " dying sport" still has plenty to offer..

That positive message should have been ringing in the ears of all there upon conclusion of his speech..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I disagree...

He should have talked far more "bigger picture" stuff, using approximate details around size, structure, revenue, attendences, viewing figures, environmental plans, diversity plans, etc etc to beat down the "dying sport" message and detail the future growth strategy...

Any CEO of a National Business would have minutiae details at their disposal to paint the picture of the overall generic business position...

How many trophies he won, how long he rode for etc, for example just muddies the waters and strays off topic...

To validate why he was there, he should solely have mentioned his role in the UK and his global role, using size and structure of the sport domestically and globally to add gravitas to his position..

Any CEO of a business tied into a TV deal, would fundamentally be expected to have real time data as to viewing numbers as they should be working alongside their partners very closely to deliver the mutual successful outcome for both parties..

The way Phil came across was a microcosm of where the sport sits, skill set wise..

The sport in the UK has millions of viewers, has millions who attend over a season, brings in millions of pounds through sponsorship and fan attendance, is pursuing an environmentally friendly policy via ebikes and already uses "green fuel", and is running a  Ladies Championship and has s National Academy for female riders, GB is now comfortably in the top two nations in the world, etc etc etc...

All that, allied to his future strategy for the sport, including Cov, their history, and the huge positive impact the community project would bring to the people of Cov, with a dissection of Clarke's history in the sport, should have been the message...

With his final summary including his vision for the future built using the success of Oxford and Workington, to demonstrate how this " dying sport" still has plenty to offer..

That positive message should have been ringing in the ears of all there upon conclusion of his speech..

You make a genuinely excellent speech.

Is it too late to offer your services to the Save Coventry campaign to speak at the inquiry?

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

What is the BSPL though, the organisation he is CEO of? It doesn't run any clubs, they are all individual entities and he's probably not at liberty to disclose their commercial information. As I mentioned, maybe Discovery don't want their viewing figures disclosing, as Netflix don't. I'm sure if he was able to disclose such information he would have done.

He set out his position in the sport to show he knew what he was talking about... unlike the fella from Sport England yesterday who was completely taken apart by Mr Goatley.

We must not forget that Morris has not even been in his post for 7 months... and Rome was not built in a day, I think you're being a little unfair :)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, R87 said:

He can report on audience figures, but kept repeating "I can't tell you".  Sorry,  but that won't wash in a public inquiry and you could see how uncomfortable he looked during his cross examination.

The guy from sport England was woeful,  but Morris wasn't as brilliant as posters here are trying to paint him.  

Also slating the industry standard BARB audience research was not smart. Its used by all ad agencies, media owners & end clients to judge the reach of broadcast advertising.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

I disagree...

I also thought it may have been better to have a promoter from a club that was still going to run next year(if available) rather than cvs who’s positive point around Redcar was tempered by the Wolverhampton situation with no real detail imo

8 minutes ago, Toady said:

I also thought it may have been better to have a promoter from a club that was still going to run next year(if available) rather than cvs who’s positive point around Redcar was tempered by the Wolverhampton situation with no real detail imo

Matt Ford was there yesterday but they didn't have time to talk to him, he's coming back next week apparently

7 minutes ago, Toady said:

CSV was there to refute Brandon Estates contention that Wolverhampton was closing because it was no longer viable.

And he did that.

39 minutes ago, iainb said:

What is the BSPL though, the organisation he is CEO of? It doesn't run any clubs, they are all individual entities and he's probably not at liberty to disclose their commercial information. As I mentioned, maybe Discovery don't want their viewing figures disclosing, as Netflix don't. I'm sure if he was able to disclose such information he would have done.

He set out his position in the sport to show he knew what he was talking about... unlike the fella from Sport England yesterday who was completely taken apart by Mr Goatley.

We must not forget that Morris has not even been in his post for 7 months... and Rome was not built in a day, I think you're being a little unfair :)

Not meaning to he unfair to the bloke in anyway shape or form, he is though in a CEO position of a National Organisation.....

And was obviously there in person due to his "head person" capacity to show those decision makers just how important  those in charge of the sport see Cov Speedway returning...

A laudable attempt, but, for me, missing the opportunity to show the "reach" of the sport via the amount of viewers, attendance's and income in particular, which would go a long way to debunk the "dying sport" narrative which the opponents seem to be leading with...

Adding in the environment and diversity strategy ticks the "flavour of the month" boxes too...

As I say, fair play to the man, but I feel it was too narrow a remit and missed a trick in informing those there just how big the sport actually is...

Eg several million quid income will be earned this season across the tracks, and tens of millions will have watched or attended Speedway domestically and globally this season,...

That's the key message to kill the "dying sport" narrative that should be used, allied to a "History of Cov Speedway" and their importance to the local community's mental health and well being via a new stadium with fitness facilities and its importance to the local economy..

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Argos said:

You wait till Clarke as is turn, and hold on to your seats 

He has no credibility regarding his involvement within speedway historically but I guess that this will be just passed over in the great scheme of things.

Edited by steve roberts