British Speedway Forum
TTT

The future of British Speedway after the 2023 season

2 hours ago, Aries said:

You’re such a bloody drama queen you have to be one of the biggest glass half empty whinges on here you absolutely reek of negativity! You were trying to tell everyone yesterday that THIS season was basically over because of the news from Wolves and that everyone should now basically shut up shop. LOL what an absolute load of b0llocks. Sorry to disappoint you, but there’s an awful lot of people out there who are still very much enjoying their speedway and will continue to look forward to their speedway fix this season. 

Nobody was pleased to hear the news coming out of Wolves yesterday and of course it’s a big concern going forward as is the uncertainty from Peterborough and one or two others. But supporters can’t control what happens in 2024 so why should we all just join you in wallowing in complete misery? From what’s been said since, the white flag hasn’t been waved at Wolves in any case and the fight now commences. Have you joined in and signed the online petition to keep Wolves in operation? Let me guess, it’s not worth it because it’ll make no difference as you’ve already decided Wolves are now dead and buried. Am I right?

There will be British Speedway in 2024, guaranteed. 

He wouldn't have signed the petition,he hates everything Wolves and the city of Wolverhampton. 

1 hour ago, BuxtonTiger said:

I would hope that the 2023 annual meeting will be preceded many early meetings to plan things. (I may well be in dreamland).

That's what happens usually each year..

I know it probably doesnt appear like that but the AGM should just ratify what has already been agreed prior to it being held..

And then, whilst there, the odd spanner gets thrown into the works...:D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Minor point but IOW jumped ship of their own accord , they were not expelled.

A wise move...?

In charge of their own destiny...

And not having their brand getting negatively impacted by the BSPL's brand reputation.. 

Maybe more should join them? 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 7:25 PM, BassoRacingFan said:

Do we need to introduce gambling to speedway tracks?

I think this would attract some punters and make tracks more sustainable

Idiot

• Like 2

11 hours ago, iainb said:

It was nice to read Rob Godfrey's rallying Churchillian war cry, FINALLY for some reason this Wolves news seems to have hit home with him despite his Charimanship since 2018 seeing the closure of Rye House, Somerset, Swindon, Lakeside, Newcastle, Workington, Buxton, Cradley, Eastbourne, Kent, Stoke and the expulsion of IoW. Like others have said with Edinburgh & Peterborough highly doubtful for next year and question marks around Poole's future and the annual Birmingham crisis it could be a total of 15 clubs gone in 5 years under his stewardship... FIFTEEN! Even if you factor in the return of Oxford, Worky & Kent... that's still 12 a number higher than any of the current 3 leagues we have running

Interested in what Rob Godfrey was expected to do to stop the closure of those tracks. 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

A wise move...?

And not having their brand getting negatively impacted by the BSPL's brand reputation.. 

Uprights and grasstrack racing on shale. Can't think why it hasn't caught on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

A wise move...?

Who else wants to amateur events but charge the public to watch ? You think they would get a crowd ???

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Interested in what Rob Godfrey was expected to do to stop the closure of those tracks. 

His decision in 2018 to force Lakeside and Workington to cancel established fixtures and then run on off nights (so he could have a better choice of guests) did huge financial damage to both clubs who both folded at the end of that season despite being in all the cup finals and in Worky's case winning a treble.

Edited by Bryce
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, topsoil said:

He could have resigned and let somebody who has a plan to save and revive the sport have a go? Just an idea :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The biggest issue if the UK goes for 1 league next season or a 2 way northern and southern league split is.

The UK has  protected race days in world speedway, Monday and Thursday. If we run with a different set up without a league that runs on those days then we loose that right for protective racing on those dates and then Poland can recall any rider they want or race on a Monday and Thursday.

We would loose our right as a major power in world speedway and become a second rate nation with no right over a power like Poland.

I maybe wrong but thats my take on it, shoot me down..

3 minutes ago, M.D said:

The biggest issue if the UK goes for 1 league next season or a 2 way northern and southern league split is.

The UK has  protected race days in world speedway, Monday and Thursday. If we run with a different set up without a league that runs on those days then we loose that right for protective racing on those dates and then Poland can recall any rider they want or race on a Monday and Thursday.

We would loose our right as a major power in world speedway and become a second rate nation with no right over a power like Poland.

I maybe wrong but thats my take on it, shoot me down..

If it was a North/South split say 7 sides in each league, you could do home and away once with some form of league cup competiton that has a group format so in theory each club gets 10-12 home meetings

You could easily work with Sweden/Denmark/Germnay to avoid fixture clashes, if say Ipswich opted for Doyle and they face a weekend track and he's in Poland i guess its just unfortunate and a guest or RR would have to be operated

I think you couls get a few more aussies coming over and could attract a few more german riders etc to boost numbers 

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

Uprights and grasstrack racing on shale. Can't think why it hasn't caught on.

Who else wants to amateur events but charge the public to watch ? You think they would get a crowd ???

IoW make a profit, how many Premiership or Championship clubs can say that!

Maybe you haven't checked who is racing. National League standard racing and I am quite happy to pay to watch. 

On top of that I also get all the added value that isn't provided elsewhere. 

Give it a try. You might just like it. All delivered at pace and with first class customer service. 

4 hours ago, Bryce said:

His decision in 2018 to force Lakeside and Workington to cancel established fixtures and then run on off nights (so he could have a better choice of guests) did huge financial damage to both clubs who both folded at the end of that season despite being in all the cup finals and in Worky's case winning a treble.

WE NEEDED GUEST RIDERS!!! 

When will fans realise over here in the UK that there isnt an alternative... ?

Forget what Poland do...

They make it up as they go along by treating it like a proper team sport you can emotionally invest your time and money in...

You cannot run a Speedway league without having loads of riders available to cherry pick from, meaning you are able to bring them in as ringers as and when you need them..

It is a fundamental reason as to why the sport is so hugely successful in the UK...

Some people will never grasp this..;):D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

IoW make a profit, how many Premiership or Championship clubs can say that!

You sure ? making two dozen riders pay to ride and a hundred or so spectators half a dozen times a year isn’t go to make you a viable business.

• Like 1