British Speedway Forum
Jaizer

Glasgow Vs Oxford Championship 5th May

3 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Yup…..who needs three competitions?  League with 2 home 2 away plus the KO cup would be my answer. 

Couldn't agree more, but have a feeling this didn't happen because the Championship clubs running lower league teams said they would pull out of the bottom tier if it was 2 home and 2 away. I'm sure I read that somewhere in the past.

The clubs that get to the final of the BSN Series would have to race a total of 5 home fixtures in that competition anyway, so they would only have to find an extra 3 free race nights throughout the season to accommodate a switch to 2 home and 2 away instead. Surely it would better to guarantee a fixed number of home fixtures for EVERY team, rather than having a couple racing in more than some others?

A quick look at Oxford's fixture list and they have a few empty Wednesdays (31st May, 28th June, 9th August, 30th August) even with Chargers fixtures taking place.

18 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Couldn't agree more, but have a feeling this didn't happen because the Championship clubs running lower league teams said they would pull out of the bottom tier if it was 2 home and 2 away. I'm sure I read that somewhere in the past.

The clubs that get to the final of the BSN Series would have to race a total of 5 home fixtures in that competition anyway, so they would only have to find an extra 3 free race nights throughout the season to accommodate a switch to 2 home and 2 away instead. Surely it would better to guarantee a fixed number of home fixtures for EVERY team, rather than having a couple racing in more than some others?

A quick look at Oxford's fixture list and they have a few empty Wednesdays (31st May, 28th June, 9th August, 30th August) even with Chargers fixtures taking place.

Should have called their bluff,in the best interests of the Sport.IMO

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Surely just four - two in your section, one semi final and one final. 

Interesting that Edinburgh and Berwick two of the club's running NDL sides are out of the BSN and KO Cup competitions already and Oxford are out of the BSN too. The NDL tail is wagging the Championship dog. Has to be changed for next year. 

Edited by Beirao
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Beirao said:

Surely just four - two in your section, one semi final and one final. 

Interesting that Edinburgh and Berwick two of the club's running NDL sides are out of the BSN and KO Cup competitions already and Oxford are out of the BSN too. The NDL tail is wagging the Championship dog. Has to be changed for next year. 

You're quite right....I can't count!

On 5/8/2023 at 9:26 PM, Noelinho said:

My estimation is about 500 people on the average race night, yes. But that's a very unscientific manual head count, not from anywhere official, so I could be wrong. To me it definitely feels the crowd is smaller than back in 2018/19. And as I've said before, for all the great stuff they do, I don't feel like the promotion are very good at promoting the product. We're spoiled rotten by the racing at Ashfield - both the track and the riders - but I do think they really need to get someone in to help them advertise better. It's not that they don't do anything, it just seems to lack consistency. 

Thats sad to hear, sounds like the inability to communicate and promote is really biting hard.  It used to be a worry when crowds fell to 800!

On 5/8/2023 at 7:00 PM, Fromafar said:

When he is predicting Weather forecasts from 300 mls away,  perhaps better just to accept the situation( whether right or wrong.)His intended visit to Scunthorpe proving what could happen regarding the weather.Len Silver often made the same decision regarding the weather.

I believe he has already said that he was speaking with people in Scotland and using the weather forecasts that the club were apparently using so thats hardly an accurate comment - he wasnt doing any predicting himself.  We all know speedway is in trouble.  It needs the few customers it still has to speak up about things that irk them.  Promotions may or may not be able to do anything about it but it could give them a reason to look at things differently.  Not really sure attacking another supporter who is questioning a decision is really the way ahead - disagreeing is healthy tho

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Lioness said:

I believe he has already said that he was speaking with people in Scotland and using the weather forecasts that the club were apparently using so thats hardly an accurate comment - he wasnt doing any predicting himself.  We all know speedway is in trouble.  It needs the few customers it still has to speak up about things that irk them.  Promotions may or may not be able to do anything about it but it could give them a reason to look at things differently.  Not really sure attacking another supporter who is questioning a decision is really the way ahead - disagreeing is healthy tho

Speedway and Weather forecasts are hardly something to get excited about as you will seen from his posts he certainly had a” bee in his bonnet” about the fixture.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Speedway and Weather forecasts are hardly something to get excited about as you will seen from his posts he certainly had a” bee in his bonnet” about the fixture.

Blimey, you still harping on about this?  :D

You really don't like people having an opinion that isn't the same of your own, do you? Well, though luck, because it's a forum and that's what it's for.

Incidentally, Oxford showed how you do it last night.  Bit of rain in the forecast, but not enough to call it off. When a heavy shower did arrive at 6.45pm, the track staff worked hard, and it resulted in a very entertaining meeting and everyone went home happy.  

No-one was ever against early rain-offs on this thread. Just against early call-offs, when there isn't enough rain in the forecast to justify it. But carry on with your head in the sand, while wondering why there's less and less people stood around you at Ashfield each week. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Blimey, you still harping on about this?  :D

You really don't like people having an opinion that isn't the same of your own, do you? Well, though luck, because it's a forum and that's what it's for.

Incidentally, Oxford showed how you do it last night.  Bit of rain in the forecast, but not enough to call it off. When a heavy shower did arrive at 6.45pm, the track staff worked hard, and it resulted in a very entertaining meeting and everyone went home happy.  

No-one was ever against early rain-offs on this thread. Just against early call-offs, when there isn't enough rain in the forecast to justify it. But carry on with your head in the sand, while wondering why there's less and less people stood around you at Ashfield each week. 

Merely replying to a fellow Forum Poster who brought the subject up again.You have jumped in again,like you say though it is aForum.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Merely replying to a fellow Forum Poster who brought the subject up again.You have jumped in again,like you say though it is aForum.

"Jumped in again"? :rolleyes::D I haven't commented on this thread before today since Sunday. I'm amazed you've kept it going since then and that you still seem to have a problem that I expressed an opinion that you didn't agree with. Tough!

• Haha 1

The fact is this meeting was called off early and quite a few people raised eyebrows at that. Sure some rain was about, but it really didn't look that bad from the forecast/radar readings. In hindsight, perhaps it wasn't the right call to raise the whole 'Basso and Vissing' thing, but.....I don't think you can blame a few of us for being slightly sceptical about why it was called off - especially as it turned out the rain wasn't that bad and the meeting could have taken place. What's done is done now, though.

5 hours ago, Bojangles said:

The fact is this meeting was called off early and quite a few people raised eyebrows at that. Sure some rain was about, but it really didn't look that bad from the forecast/radar readings. In hindsight, perhaps it wasn't the right call to raise the whole 'Basso and Vissing' thing, but.....I don't think you can blame a few of us for being slightly sceptical about why it was called off - especially as it turned out the rain wasn't that bad and the meeting could have taken place. What's done is done now, though.

You stay in London and you are telling us what the weather is like in Glasgow. Left my flat in glasgow this morning beautifull blue sky drove 15 mins and it was heavy rain .Question for you going to London next Thursday  on Friday going to the Oval to se Kent play Surrey should i cancel 

Edited by MANSE

57 minutes ago, MANSE said:

You stay in London and you are telling us what the weather is like in Glasgow. Left my flat in glasgow this morning beautifull blue sky drove 15 mins and it was heavy rain .Question for you going to London next Thursday  on Friday going to the Oval to se Kent play Surrey should i cancel 

Doesn’t that just prove my point? If the weather is so unpredictable, why call off a meeting in the morning? It’s just as likely to be sunny 15mins later isn’t it? 

Or if you want to be really pedantic. Why not call off every single Glasgow home meeting in the morning because the weather is so unpredictable? 

Edited by Bojangles

37 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Doesn’t that just prove my point? If the weather is so unpredictable, why call off a meeting in the morning? It’s just as likely to be sunny 15mins later isn’t it? 

Because the promotion have been burned a few times by bad weather that was worse than expected, and a repeat of Berwick only three weeks later would be pretty awkward.