British Speedway Forum
paul84

13/5/23 Workington V Edinburgh 3pm

Any news on THJ is he unwell ?, was he at the opening meeting, it would be very unlike him to miss out on the opening.

• Like 1

Where to start....well what a fantastic return to Speedway at Workington on Saturday afternoon.

The crowd estimated to be around 2500 was the best tribute of all that could be given to the management team, staff and riders of Workington Speedway, thank you to everyone that attended including many that had traveled some distance from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Berwick etc.

A win for the Comets on track was the icing on the cake with all the lads chipping in with points for a great team performance.

The organisation of the entrance to the stadium, car park marshaling and other stadium officials was exemplary .

The track stood up fairy well to the afternoon sun but was breaking a little up later in the meeting , hopefully the track will bed in better after a few weeks. 

Facilities for food and drink were very good, better than some clubs have put on for major meetings in the Championship.

Hopefully the Cumbrian people will support the new venture in good numbers to help the club move forward in the coming years. 

Oh, can fans use the bins provided please for their rubbish, thank you.

Once again thank you to Andrew and his hard working team for bring Speedway back to the town.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Great to see the Club rewarded for the effort that has been put into the venture.Hopefully a lot of successful seasons to come.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just hope it is not like Skegness. The opening meeting was the first and last time Skegness had a good crowd. From then on the weather played a major role which was a great shame.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I just hope it is not like Skegness. The opening meeting was the first and last time Skegness had a good crowd. From then on the weather played a major role which was a great shame.

Worlds apart ,comets have history skegness is a holiday resort its locals u need every week !

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Worlds apart ,comets have history skegness is a holiday resort its locals u need every week !

I pray that you are right and the new track is a massive success.

Once the initial rush rush has happened, I will definitely be over for a couple meetings... I couldn't make it this weekend anyway, but the large crowd kinda puts me off from certain events unfortunately, I hope Workington can maintain a good fanbase though and I can't wait to see the new set up, having visited the little track hundreds of times... I couldn't be happier for Workington and all involved

37 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Correct Geoff....Workington isn't a 'holiday resort'.....ha, ha.

The almost certain scenario is that next Sunday will see less through the turnstiles, this is usually the case with Speedway.

In 1970 the Thomas/Brownhutt duo introduced speedway at Workington for a second look at the 500cc bike action (Lonsdale Park were the first one).

Now Speedway hardly ever gives regular attendance figures (unless as evidence that more fans are urgently needed...help us etc.).

But in 1970, April, the Comets faced Berwick in front of a reported 6,000 spectators - fantastic - but that figure soon halved as those who came via the curiosity/novelty factor didn't attend on a regular basis - nothing new about that as I said earlier it usually/always happens at Speedway.

After that second era disappeared for many years Ian Thomas and Tony Mole revived the Comets in 1999....and a reported 4,000 plus attended the meeting v Newcastle....soon to see half those fade into oblivion re Speedway. A regular feature of the sport.

However I think this latest revival can outdo those other Comet efforts i.e. more long term fan base by continuing to improve the already top facilities...for example add seats, have other attractions - things that Derwent Park couldn't/can't accomodate The track will probably be available for rider training, Derwent Park never was because of the rugby taking precedence.

Good luck to the latest Comets regime it's definitely a case of so far so good.....UTC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Once the initial rush rush has happened, I will definitely be over for a couple meetings... I couldn't make it this weekend anyway, but the large crowd kinda puts me off from certain events unfortunately, I hope Workington can maintain a good fanbase though and I can't wait to see the new set up, having visited the little track hundreds of times... I couldn't be happier for Workington and all involved

Despite the large turnout, it didn't feel cramped or uncomfortable to watch. The bowl set-up, looking down on the action, works a treat and being able to watch from any point round about three-quarters of the track helps spread everyone out. It's an absolute gem; I feel sure you'll love it.

• Like 1

We had an excellent visit to Workington on Saturday (including John’s Plaice on the way home) and wish everyone the best of luck for its continued success. The setup is superb and will be the envy of many folks (especially us Edinburgh fans). The track held up so well especially given the heat. We expected a dust bowl but it was kept to a minimum. Plenty toilets & food outlets available and perfect viewing from above the track

Looking forward to coming back

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Gr8scot said:

We had an excellent visit to Workington on Saturday (including John’s Plaice on the way home) and wish everyone the best of luck for its continued success. The setup is superb and will be the envy of many folks (especially us Edinburgh fans). The track held up so well especially given the heat. We expected a dust bowl but it was kept to a minimum. Plenty toilets & food outlets available and perfect viewing from above the track

Looking forward to coming back

Johns plaice only second to noeh,s plaice in near by egremont if ever going south :t: