British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hawks 1975

Nora 4 team series launch at Sittingbourne on Sunday!

It looks like the Nora 'League', now a four team tournament, gets under way at Sittingbourne this coming Sunday.

The launch of the Nora 92 No Brakes League all seems very low key, I had to really delve deep to find out who was due to be riding for the four sides, and two of those listed - Jake Turner and Connor King - are both doubtful. 

The lack of communication/publicity hardly augurs well for a healthy attendance for the opening match at Iwade. I don't believe there was any mention of it at last Sunday's Kent v Berwick meeting - I know it is not run by Si Kellow, but surely there could have been something about it to tempt fans who may not know anything about Nora. Given how pro-active the Isle of Wight promotion are - and it is their baby I believe - I am surprised.

Will this weeks Speedway Star even mention it - or will the powers that be have muzzled them?!

With Alfie Bowtell, Alex Spooner, Ben Morley and Rhys Naylor all turning out for the other three sides, Kent fans might struggle to support the home Sittingbourne quartet!

Let's hope it all goes off without any problems - good racing and everybody safe at the end of it.

A wider concern would be that something called 'Nora' hardly screams dynamic and is unlikely to tempt newbies imo.

3 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

It’s an amateur league, why should it get major publicity? Non of the other amateur events around the country get pre publicity in the star.

I wouldn't expect major publicity, but it is hard to imagine that the Speedway Star were not unaware of it, therefore the decision to exclude it from the 'this week's fixture listing' was a conscious one.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

It’s an amateur league, why should it get major publicity? Non of the other amateur events around the country get pre publicity in the star.

An Amateur League? With Bowtell, Morley, Atkins etc riding? I think not.......!

• Like 2

Who's the promotion team behind this bold venture ?  Hard to believe it hs anything to do withe IoW team who are very good at publicising their events on IoW.

No sign of any promotional stuff around these parts.   Contrast with the Grass track meetings at Swingfield when we have roadside placards springing up everywhere  advertising the event.

Speedway Star have obviously been gagged (no such thing as a free press) on pain of not admitting their photographers to " BSPA events"

Thankfully the fixture is listed in the Star, and there is even a column announcing the launch of the league. 
Hopefully the two replacements for King and Turner are of similar ability and we get an afternoon of close racing.
Good luck to all those involved in this new venture .

• Like 6

21 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Who's the promotion team behind this bold venture ?  Hard to believe it hs anything to do withe IoW team who are very good at publicising their events on IoW.

No sign of any promotional stuff around these parts.   Contrast with the Grass track meetings at Swingfield when we have roadside placards springing up everywhere  advertising the event.

Speedway Star have obviously been gagged (no such thing as a free press) on pain of not admitting their photographers to " BSPA events"

There are plenty of links on Facebook groups about the meeting. I'm sure there will also be on other social media platforms. 

Get along to the meeting. I'm sure you will enjoy it

On 5/17/2023 at 6:01 PM, hawks 1975 said:

An Amateur League? With Bowtell, Morley, Atkins etc riding? I think not.......!

Six NDL riders in Redcars AMATEUR meeting …..still an amateur meeting as they are not getting paid.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 5:31 AM, Fortythirtyeight said:

On 5/16/2023 at 11:06 PM, Sotonian said:

A wider concern would be that something called 'Nora' hardly screams dynamic and is unlikely to tempt newbies imo.

and people wonder why speedway is dying.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:38 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

really? i'm planning to go 

On 5/18/2023 at 7:46 PM, Sir Sidney said:

There are plenty of links on Facebook groups about the meeting. I'm sure there will also be on other social media platforms. 

Get along to the meeting. I'm sure you will enjoy it

Having been lucky enough to see a Nora Meeting on the Isle of Wight last summer, which was also a 4TT, I can only endorse what you say.

There is a real platform here for speedway to reinvent itself, rather than letting it die in the way it currently is.
The SCB/BSPL really should go along and witness one of these meetings, assuming they haven't already secretly done so, there's a lot to learn.

Do I think in it's current form that it would satisfy supporters up and down the country, then no I don't, but there are certainly parts of it that could be intermingled with what we know as normal league speedway, thus making it more pleasurable afternoon/evening for all ages, which includes young children. 

• Like 1

36 races in 3 hours 10 minutes.

Warriors 32 (Morley 12, Butcher 9)

Cradley 28 (Bowtell 10, Spencer 8)

Sittingbourne 22 (T Woolley 9, McGuiness 7)

Plymouth 14 (L Harris 7)

• Like 1

Most exciting rider award - Rhys Naylor