British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flipper11

Kent Royals license revoked!

The SCB have revoked Kent Royals license and imposed a fine on Kent NL speedway. The revoking of the license is suspended.

This apparently is for allowing the recent Nora league amateur meeting to be held at Iwade!   Even though it has nothing to do with Kent speedway. 

How ridiculous is the SCB getting.

• Like 3

Barry Bishop, facebook, 26 May

June 4th Nora No Brakes Racing League meeting at Iwade to be cancelled.

Following the hugely successful first round, we are devastated to inform you that the second round of the Nora No Brakes Racing League scheduled for June 4th at Iwade Kent has been cancelled due to unprecedented pressure from the SCB on Kent Royals owner Si Kellow.

The situation is as follows; Barry Bishop and Martin Widman hire the stadium directly from Sittingbourne Speedway, we applied for the permit, we ran the event for the 1st round. The only link between the Kent Royals and Sittingbourne Speedway is that Graham Arnold is cited as being the Royals co-promoter, and he holds the lease on the Iwade track. Si Kellow is connected to Sittingbourne Speedway in the same way that we are - he hires the stadium for Kent Royals matches. Si Kellow is not a part of No Brakes Racing, yet the SCB have both imposed a fine on Kent National League Speedway (the company owned by Kellow) and revoked the Kent Royals SCB track licence suspended for 12 months telling the Kent based club that they must only run events under ACU and SCB citing the threat of pursuance of the SCB in the event of a litigation claim, despite both SCB and Nora being underwritten by the same company Sports Insure.

The Nora No Brakes Racing League has no wish to see any Speedway club close even if we totally dispute the reasons, so we have to cancel June 4th. Not only does this cancellation deprive Iwade Speedway of much needed revenue, it also deprives riders of track time and you the fans a great afternoon’s entertainment. The feedback from round one has been staggering from volunteers, fans, sponsors, and rider, and we urge the SCB to reconsider its approach to the situation.

There is so much more that could be written about this situation but for now we must support Si Kellow and the Kent Royals to ensure we don't lose another club for the most disgraceful of reasons. We shall of course continue with a full season on the Isle of Wight, continue to grow the Nora No Breaks Racing League, and our door always remains open to discuss anything with the SCB.

We look forward to welcoming you at Smallbrook Stadium on June 22nd when We open our summer season.
  • Like 1

If the Sittingbourne promoter has been fined for using the same track as a NORA event then why has Rob Godfrey not been fined as well since he actually runs NORA events? How many other tracks that run BSPL events also run events under NORA? I hope Sittingbourne tell the BSPL to go to hell and help them on their way by suing them for restraint of trade.

• Like 1

The only way the SCB can get away with this is when the tracks let them. If Plymouth & Kent had stuck to their guns & carried on in the Norra league, would they SCB been comfortable putting 14 riders out if work?

Obviously too much of a risk for their promotions to stand up to the SCB when the alternative is to race 2 meetings a year.

Despite seeing Eastbourne (2 teams) & Newcastle (2 teams) pull out mid season in the last couple of years, having uncompleted competitions such as the Premiership Junior League & the Summer Trophy / Jubilee League, the SCB / BSPL are still oblivious to anything being wrong with their organisations so as they can't succeed - try & block others from succeeding apparently?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

The only way the SCB can get away with this is when the tracks let them. If Plymouth & Kent had stuck to their guns & carried on in the Norra league, would they SCB been comfortable putting 14 riders out if work?

Obviously too much of a risk for their promotions to stand up to the SCB when the alternative is to race 2 meetings a year.

The problem is those track have bonds lodged with the SCB so would take a big financial hit mid season. I can definitely see a winter of discontent ahead and a significant fewer number of tracks heading to tapes next season 

This is just a bit of spite from the SCB who are undoubtably being pushed by the BSPL, what may be a good idea is if someone who is closer to Kent starting a "Go Fund me page" with the aim if its possible of taking on the SCB in the courts, now iv no idea if its do-able but thats what I would be investigating the possibilities.

• Like 1

Pure spite from little men with a bit of power. How Vatcher can hold his head after flouncing round on IOW when they were in the NL and all the youth training days there then be the spearhead of the attack shows the man he is. 

Sadly Si Kellow as a new promotor isn't prepared for all the games the mafia board can play and ultimately is going to have his resolve and health tested to the limit. 

History is repeating with any threat or slightly respectable product being snuffed out.

• Like 3

I'm not old enough to remember the Provincial League years, but, if there was enough support, could teams not form their own breakaway league, as was done in those days?  Eventually the "Powers that Be" "gave in" and the British League was formed in 1965, maybe the same could happen again? Or, am I totally wrong?

• Like 3

Where is the official announcement?!!  No mention of this on the British Speedway web site! 

Do we know how much they have fined Si Kellow? Absolutely ridiculous.

The guy doesn't deserve this extra hassle - without him there would be no speedway at all round here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

I'm not old enough to remember the Provincial League years, but, if there was enough support, could teams not form their own breakaway league, as was done in those days?  Eventually the "Powers that Be" "gave in" and the British League was formed in 1965, maybe the same could happen again? Or, am I totally wrong?

As a reflection of my speedway viewing, the creation of the British League was the Phoenix rising from the ashes to see so many teams in one league, given the team numbers in the top division that parallel todays woeful times. 

If I want to watch live speedway tonight  I have the choice of NDL at Leicester or nothing!  The BL gave me Belle Vue, Halifax, Cradley, Coventry, King's Lynn, Cradley, Swindon,   etc.

The 'SCB/BSPL' must be so proud that the best they can do for British Speedway is to focus on aborting any green shoots that could help younger riders come through and see a re-growth of the sport. Fixed race nights has become a farce, doubling up, guests, and R/R has killed team identity. Don't worry about this we must focus on repelling Vectis invading our shores!  

• Like 1

So working on the SCB principle if Barry Bishop approached Sheffield Stadium say and asked to hire the stadium to run a "Nora No Brakes Racing League meeting" under a NORA Licence and the stadium owners / management agreed then Sheffield Speedway would be fined for allowing it even though they are only tenants and hire the stadium there selves and have no say in other peoples use of the track (ie stockcars) ? 

Nearly all speedway teams / promotions are tenants within the stadium they race in so if Nora meetings started appearing across the country are the SCB going to start revoking and suspending everyone's  licence next year?

I believe the SCB are just puppets having there strings being pulled by the BSPA, and before they kill speedway off totally in this country let hope more teams join Nora and  a full season of league and cup matches can be raced.

The SCB / BSPA are running scared of losing their dictatorship and people seeing how badly they run things and something getting better and progressing year on year. 

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When one considers that a certain Rob Godfrey head honcho of the BSPL is part of the Speedway Control Board, EG the SCB, and also holds NORA events at his Scunthorpe track then one can make their own minds up about the farcical nature of this incident! - (I totally respect what Rob Godfrey has done at Scunthorpe opening and maintaining speedway racing in a Town that struggled to run viable speedway in the 70's and 80's but his decisions at SCB and BSPL managerial level are not made with the best interests of speedway at heart)

I'm sure if this was taken to a court of law then the Speedway Control Board wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you consider freedom of trade rights.

In these days of speedway looking like its long term future in this Country is severely under threat, trying to eliminate an initiative that could lead to more track time for riders and potentially new tracks opening is very counter productive!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 3

What would happen if the stadium owners at Kent & Plymouth unhappy with the SCB costing them a couple of matches rent decided to pass on that cost to the Speedway promotion (this year or next)? If the clubs can't afford it & close, I bet the SCB can sleep comfy in their beds knowing they are destroying clubs trying to make ends meet!

A lot keeps getting said that scunthorpe run Nora speedway events as a point of interest could someone actually clarify which meetings these were and on what dates and which riders were present. Or is it that scunthorpe run Nora licences events such as dirt diggers meeting,  flat track series run by Richard Hollingsworth or stock cars. 
would be interesting to get the full picture based on facts rather than assumptions based on not liking Rob Godfrey.

• Like 3