British Speedway Forum

Herts-based spectator sitting in front of me at Peterborough last night reckoned there is a good chance Rye House will reopen in 2024. Something to do with the stadium owner having to reinstate track and safety fence because his alterations didn't have planning permission. Is that right (these days, I never see Speedway Star)?

• Like 1

well there goes the theory that GP/ star name riders will have them flocking through the gates. One division at CL level and NL needed. If we accept we're down to the bare bones of fans (500 at Pboro last night with a GP star and good looking Pboro signing?) lets cut our cloth and go from there, much as I've enjoyed seeing clips of Sayfutinov etc. it can't go on

2 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Herts-based spectator sitting in front of me at Peterborough last night reckoned there is a good chance Rye House will reopen in 2024. Something to do with the stadium owner having to reinstate track and safety fence because his alterations didn't have planning permission. Is that right (these days, I never see Speedway Star)?

The lease agreement with the new landlords and council permission has still to be signed off I think, but certainly seems a lot more positive. The landlords have seemingly given up on their plan for football pitches and are going to put in for planning permission to restore the track.

New landlords shot themselves in the foot by building without planning permission and ripping the track up without permission. A stop order was put on the land by the council so it hasn't been touched for a couple of years. They have put in a couple of planning applications but I don't think they've ever been heard. The council have been abysmal through the process anyway by waving through retrospective planning permission when they knocked the stand down and generally not being interested in the landlords breaking planning laws until they were threatened with legal action.

Fair play to Steve Ribbons as it would have been artificial football pitches by now if not for him. Still a couple of hurdles to go though, but they want to run in the Championship in 2024 if all goes well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is why it is the Finale of UK Speedway

SCB STATEMENT: ARTEM LAGUTA

TUESDAY, JUNE 27, 2023

Following the withdrawal of Artem Laguta from the Kings Lynn team at the Wolverhampton Premiership fixture on Monday 26th June the Speedway Control Bureau (SCB) have made the following statement…

The SCB were informed on the morning of the 26th June that Artem Laguta would not be able to attend the Wolverhampton v Kings Lynn fixture due to falling ill after competing for his Polish team Wroclaw on Sunday 25th June.

Subsequently the SCB received medical documentation at 1.30pm confirming that Mr Laguta had suffered from food poisoning and was unable to travel to the UK and advised to rest for a period of at least 2 days.

Due to missing this fixture through a non-speedway injury/sickness as per SCB Regulation 010.5 h) – Mr Laguta SCB Registration will now be suspended for a period of 7 days.

5 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

I have been told the same. I hope this is the case as it would be my closest track as its only 20 miles away, failing that its 60ish to Oxford & Iwade or 90ish to Peterborough.

• Like 2

It would be very good news if could start racing again at Rye House for me as I was a regular there before closure. The two tracks I visited after Rye closing were Poole and IOW. Sadly in both cases it is no longer possible to get back  to the Wimbledon area after their meetings due to changes in the train (and ferry in the case of IOW) timetables after Covid.

Edited by Chris116
Spelling
  • Like 1

It's fair to say there's a long way to go before we see the bikes at Rye again but there is certainly hope where there was none previously. Mr Ribbons seems to be doing everything he can to make it happen 

• Like 1

There is an article re Rye House in this week's Star, confirming what has been stated by others on here.

At least there seems to now be constructive dialogue between all parties

• Like 1

Tonights cricket at Edgbaston was a  T20 QF Warwickshire Bears v Essex Eagles, 3 hours of almost none stop action in a modern Stadium all for £10 per ticket, that's the price Richard Willford said on Radio WM tonight, and that is the kind of competition Speedway is up against and really has no chance of winning as things stand.

• Like 6

On 7/6/2023 at 11:20 PM, heathen52 said:

Tonights cricket at Edgbaston was a  T20 QF Warwickshire Bears v Essex Eagles, 3 hours of almost none stop action in a modern Stadium all for £10 per ticket, that's the price Richard Willford said on Radio WM tonight, and that is the kind of competition Speedway is up against and really has no chance of winning as things stand.

Although 37 quid for Surrey t20 matches at the Oval.

On 6/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, Chris said:

The lease agreement with the new landlords and council permission has still to be signed off I think, but certainly seems a lot more positive. The landlords have seemingly given up on their plan for football pitches and are going to put in for planning permission to restore the track.

New landlords shot themselves in the foot by building without planning permission and ripping the track up without permission. A stop order was put on the land by the council so it hasn't been touched for a couple of years. They have put in a couple of planning applications but I don't think they've ever been heard. The council have been abysmal through the process anyway by waving through retrospective planning permission when they knocked the stand down and generally not being interested in the landlords breaking planning laws until they were threatened with legal action.

Fair play to Steve Ribbons as it would have been artificial football pitches by now if not for him. Still a couple of hurdles to go though, but they want to run in the Championship in 2024 if all goes well.

Went karting at the track next door to the Rye House stadium a couple of months ago. The stadium still looked in fairly good condition (to some extent better than it originally did back in the day :D), although huge piles of earth had been dumped all over the track and I think part of the terracing as well.