British Speedway Forum
Speedway fan

under 19 FINAL --Birmingham June 28th -sponsorship opportunities

BIRMINGHAM stage the British Under-19 Final at Perry Barr on Wednesday, June 28 (7.30) – and the 16-rider line-up has now been confirmed.

Brummies reserve Joe Thompson will be among the favourites on his home track with twin brother Dan, who is also set to re-sign for the club as an injury replacement in a couple of weeks, also included.

Jake Mulford who, like the Thompson twins, is a Rising Star in the Sports Insure Premiership, and finished runner-up in last year’s event, will also fancy his chances.

Ashton Boughen, who went through the card in the British Youth Championships at Perry Barr on Wednesday night, will also be looking to make an impression.

Event and rider sponsorship opportunities are available – anyone interested should e-mail: commercial@birmingham-speedway.com

BRITISH UNDER-19 FINAL LINE-UP (ALPHABETICAL ORDER):

Nathan Ablitt, Ashton Boughen, Vinnie Foord, Sam Hagon, Freddy Hodder, Elliot Kelly, Harry McGurk, Sam McGurk, Jake Mulford, Max Perry, Ace Pijper, Jody Scott, Mickie Simpson, Dan Thompson, Joe Thompson, Ben Trigger. Reserves: Luke Harrison, Max James.

SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITES:

1. Rider sponsor with name in programme  -- £50

2. Heat sponsors --£50

3. Methanol sponsor for each rider == £10

Draw for the final...

1 Nathan Ablitt, 2 Sam Hagon, 3 Ben Trigger, 4 Max Perry, 5 Jake Mulford, 6 Joe Thompson, 7 Dan Thompson, 8 Ace Pijper, 9 Vinnie Foord, 10 Jody Scott, 11 Elliot Kelly, 12 Sam McGurk, 13 Mickie Simpson, 14 Harry McGurk, 15 Ashton Boughen, 16 Freddy Hodder. Reserves: 17 Luke Harrison, 18 Max James.

Dan Thompson slight favourite for this?

I'd rather see Max James or Luke Harrison in the meeting than Harry McGurk who can't score a point to save his life at the minute

On 6/17/2023 at 10:08 AM, Diamonds85 said:

I'd rather see Max James or Luke Harrison in the meeting than Harry McGurk who can't score a point to save his life at the minute

Silly comment. Riders go through tough patches , comments like that hardly help them. He’s got his place on merit, based on performances from last season, this may be the opportunity to get his confidence back .

5 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Silly comment. Riders go through tough patches , comments like that hardly help them. He’s got his place on merit, based on performances from last season, this may be the opportunity to get his confidence back .

I personally don't find it silly, I'm not sure how the qualifiers for this competition work, but it should go on this season's form rather than last, Max and Luke are doing much better... Also, will scoring next to no points in an individual tournament really boost his confidence, or just make it worse... whereas scoring lots in this competition would do Max or Luke the world of good. As for Harry... I'm not sure what's going on with him, and it's none of my business, but surely there are more in form under 19s ahead of him...

So you dont know the rules for qualification but still think your comment worthwhile and helpful to a rider out of form ?

Your right on one thing, it’s none of your business…… so why make such a disparaging comment ?

Harrison is in his first season at this level so wouldn’t be within the qualification guidelines, which as usual with the SCB are not clear and open and can be changed for “the benefit of the sport “ at any time. Harrison is just back from injury so he will get his chance , quite possibly on the day , this could be Harry’s last chance to ride in this meeting,

and if your sure there’s more under  19’s ahead of him…..impress me, name them.

I'd hazard a guess at 1 June GSAs being determining method of qualification.

[Edit: didn't need to guess as it is in the rulebook - 15.5.1]

And assuming Vinnie Foord is still injured then Harrison will get a shot.

Edited by arnieg

Qualification was based on averages one month before and as Luke had not done enough meetings he is still assessed as a 3 pointer hence no selection think it's a similar story with max. 

Harrison has been called up. Foord isn't going to be fit. Max James now 1st reserve, William Richardson dons the number 18 jacket

What is the point of the British Youth setup? Is it to produce world class riders or is it to produce local talent to sustain league Speedway? Or is it a vehicle for well meaning individuals to be involved in the sport in some way? This year more than any I can remember has seen the young talent in British Speedway being sh@t on with the Thompson's bearing the brunt of it with their transfer merry go round (and it's only June!). We see increasing amounts of our youngsters now "concentrating" on the Polish U24 league... this is no good for the sustainability of British Speedway.

I've just had a look at the riders who appeared in a BU19 Championship between 2011-2020 and are no longer riding because of the lack of opportunities for British youngsters. This list isn't very scientific and my knowledge of the lower leagues isn't great so some of these may actually still be riding but they were named in the BU19 line-ups during this period, had all the kit and must have had some ability and interest in a career in British Speedway:

Danny Phillips, Tom Stokes, Dan Greenwood, Joe Jacobs, Oliver Greenwood, Darryl Ritchings, James Sarjeant, Michael Neale, Liam Carr, Conor Dwyer, Ashley Morris, Tom Perry, Nathan Greaves, Adam Kirby, Josh Bates, Ryan Terry-Daley, Daniel Spiller, Sean Phillips, Scooter Webster, Layne Cupitt, Jack Kingston, Adam Portwood, Luke Harris, Danno Verge, Tyler Govier, Kelsey Dugard, Luke Ruddick, Josh Bailey, David Morgan, Ben Basford, Keiran Douglas, Ellis Perks, Alex Wilson, Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, Lewis Miller, Luke McKenna, Stephen Whitehouse, Taylor Hampshire, Ryan Kinsley, Jamie Halder, Luke Harris, Connor Locke, Callum Walker, Ben Woodhull, Joe Lawlor, Zach Wajtknecht, William O'Keefe, Matt Marson, Charlie Brooks, Kyle Bickley, Alex Spooner, Charlie Brooks, Elliot Kelly, Sheldon Davies, Corban Pavitt, Kean Dicken, Archie Freeman, Oliver Rayson, Brendan Johnson, Richard Franklin, Richard Andrews, Shane Hazelden, Jake Knight, Marc Owen.

British Speedway would be in a far healthier position if this talent had not just been abandoned after they'd hit the age of 19 or 21

To be fair theres a decent mix from the list above of riders still competing (speedway or focused on grasstrack) , riders who had decent stints at high NL/CL level and riders who frankly didn't make the grade at NL. There will always be a high level of attrition in the sport due to costs, time, work, injuries and families plus the inevitable numbers game where a rider hits a certain number and then doesn't pick up a place the following season.

That's quite a high attrition rate though

• Like 1

Not all of them were young, some simply came to the end of their careers, some went back to their homelands, at least one had zero talent.

13 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Not all of them were young, some simply came to the end of their careers, some went back to their homelands, at least one had zero talent.

And some simply realised that there was more to life than speedway [Ian Dury helpfully provided a list of popular alternatives]