British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bojangles

Workington v Oxford - 24/6

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

What has happened to Harry mcgurk gone from a 7 point average to a 3 this season. Apart from the obvious he’s not been scoring. Some decline.

I remarked today that he looked nervous going round the third bend. I heard later that he’d had a bad accident last season so maybe understandable. Obviously though if he wants a career in speedway he needs to. Improve

Our captain has engine failures in every other heat and as for harry dont get me started,all the good work on the track and stadium will count for nothing without a winning team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Our captain has engine failures in every other heat and as for harry dont get me started,all the good work on the track and stadium will count for nothing without a winning team.

I don’t think that’s the case. A winning team is great, but Workington’s return certainly won’t count for nothing if they don’t make the playoffs. What they’ve done has been amazing. Just look at Oxford last year, it wasn’t a winning team and it was a huge success….and they built on that for this season. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

It's not an engine failure he very rarely has them if ever, he's tried to carry on after his crash he's currently sat in a+e 

Edited by mc131
  • Sad 1

The Chargers fully justified why I believe they are arguably the strongest team in the NDL. The solid team performance required from the Comets sadly didn't materialise, this was  compounded by falls and mechanical failures which effectively contributed to 11 last places. Comets 12 points down after 5 heats and 14 down after 9 were never able to generate enough momentum to seriously look like overturning the deficit though we did manage to reduce it to 8 points after heat 11 following the bizarre disqualification of Alfie Bowtell for not wearing his race jacket, first time I've ever witnessed this one. Top performer for the Comets was Ace Piper with 12 from 5 and the young man is coming along nicely.  Sam had a big off on turn 3 so it was good to see him walk back to the pits after being released from under the air fence. 

The Chargers were generally solid throughout, conversely none of their riders had a fall or a mechanical failure . The 3 heat leaders scored good points and were ably supported by Jacob Clouting and Jody Scott . The racing was generally entertaining with the Comets beaten by the better team on the day. Hope the supporters who made the journey from Oxford enjoyed their visit and had a safe journey home. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

What are the crowds like after the huge opening when lots of fans from various tracks attended?

Crowd looked pretty decent today although I didn't do a rough head count. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Killeen is fit at play-off time just think how strong Oxford could be with him at Reserve

47 minutes ago, Technik said:

If Killeen is fit at play-off time just think how strong Oxford could be with him at Reserve

Plus it'd leave him on a 3.00 average for next year if he doesn't race 4 league meetings.

Hugely impressed with the set up at Northside!

Good racetrack, spacious pits and excellent viewing for spectators.

Very impressive performance from the Chargers - for me, the man of the match was Jody Scott who combined for two 5-1s in the opening three races - including beating Connor Bailey in Heat 1 - to put Chargers in firm control.  

Had a chat with former Oxford skipper Craig Branney after the meeting. He led Oxford Academy to the Conference League in 2005. Craig was impressed by the last to first by Henry Atkins around the outside on the opening two laps in Heat 13. He said that he knew such a move was possible, but it was the first time a rider had stuck to the outside to roar around all three other riders in that manner.

Top performances from Ryan Kinsley and Jacob Clouting too - even when put 15 metres behind for tape touching, Jacob battled to a point. He looks like a trump card now that he's at reserve for Chargers. Sam Woods did what he always does - put in 100% effort each race and he fully deserved his 3+1 tally.

Alfie Bowtell's exclusion post-race in Heat 11 (which cost him a paid maximum) didn't seem quite right. While the rulebook does state that riders must wear a race-jacket, shirt or suit displaying their racing number, it doesn’t clarify whether this is an excludable offence. There have been other incidents of riders competing without an appropriate race-jacket – some very recently (e.g. Ryan Douglas guesting for King's Lynn) – but they haven’t resulted in an exclusion.  Ultimately it didn't make any difference, but it's one of this cases where there needs to be both consistency and common sense applied.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

What are the crowds like after the huge opening when lots of fans from various tracks attended?

good meeting against Oxford on Saturday .the crowd was really good , since the two stands had been put in , it takes  the pressure off fans having to huddle up to the fence to get a good view .its a great wee track and i think a lot of locals are just happy to see speedway back in Cumberland !

Oxrord werethe better team on the day and deserved the points .

thanks to ALL that put the effort/time in to bring back the sport @northsidespeedway

Edited by j2ohh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm hearing (dispite being in Greece) that a recently retired young west Cumbrian rider was having an after meeting skid round, is he coming out of retirement to replace one of the comets? If we dropped our no 4  ( injured/bike problems) would it fit in the points limit 

9 minutes ago, Neila said:

I'm hearing (dispite being in Greece) that a recently retired young west Cumbrian rider was having an after meeting skid round, is he coming out of retirement to replace one of the comets? If we dropped our no 4  ( injured/bike problems) would it fit in the points limit 

Sure his average is too high!

13 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Sure his average is too high!

Probably but Mr crang and Mr Mcgurk must have dropped a lot of points off their average?

37 minutes ago, Neila said:

Probably but Mr crang and Mr Mcgurk must have dropped a lot of points off their average?

Team average on latest sheets is still above the 42 limit with Ace Sam Connor and Luke all adding to there starting averages 

• Like 2