British Speedway Forum
StarBoy

King's Lynn Vs Sheffield 06.07.23

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

I never understand this part though - why can’t teams say we are in the process of dealing with a certain rider and offers have been made. That is all part of communicating and updating your paying and loyal fan base who are currently fed up. Sometimes you don’t need to name the rider but help your paying customers understand what is going on on a regular basis - not coming to meet me after a meeting for a one on one chat! Time and time again teams get basic communication wrong when it is actually really simple in this day and age. People just want to be kept in the loop and not hearing silence!

This is also were problems can start. A little chat trackside things get miss heard & misinterpreted & once information gets '4th hand' it can get dangerous. 

A '1st hand' account, direct from those involved is all we need. British Speedway isn't in a strong position for 'Radio Silence', it's making the situation worse, especially for fans of struggling clubs. 

• Like 3

Well if it's first hand accounts you're looking for. For KL fans, or indeed not, Dave Hoggart is the main guest on this week's No Brakes No Fear podcast. A good 20 mins or so with him and you can find it here https://pod.fo/e/189c6a or here if you don't have a podcast app of choice and want to listen online https://britishspeedway.co.uk/podcast/

The chat is in part 2 which is about 25 mins in.

Edited by IanBrannan
extra info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 4:47 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

Firstly, let me say that I count Dave Hoggart as a good friend so I am slightly biased. Secondly, after being critical on the pages of this forum (in my opinion, both reasonably and with full justification) I have had some very hostile and aggressive - and even abusive and threatening - responses from promoters, team managers and riders both on here and in person.  I have long said that speedway's PR and the way it treats its paying customers often leave a great deal to be desired. 

Some years ago and as a result of comments made about Sheffield , Hoggy invited the diehard Tigers fan Spin King and I for a chat. I went along with some reservation given past experiences but Dave was as accommodating as he could be about the situation at the club. He couldn't tell us everything, but went as far as possible. Take it from me,  it was an enlightening experience and gave us both a better understanding of what was actually happening. I have no doubt that Spinny would agree.

As I understand it, Hoggy has responded to a request from Keith Chapman to help out at King's Lynn although he had, to my knowledge, been out of the sport for some years. 

Most of my time watching speedway was as a neutral but, having supported clubs, I know how frustrating and annoying it can be when they are performing badly. Usually, however, there are circumstances why that is the case of which the ordinary paying punter is unaware.

In the post above, Hoggy has requested that any Stars fan see him after Thursday's meeting and he will try to give some insight as to what precisely is going on - clearly, the club and team are in a difficult position following the departure of the former promoter. My advice is to take the opportunity to speak to Hoggy if you can. I'm sure you won't hear everything you might want to hear, but he is entirely approachable and reasonable and you will get some idea of the present situation. If you are very lucky, he might even buy you a beer.

Fully agree re Hoggy , totally approachable and will give it to you straight (as far as he can go ...sometimes further depending on the number of sherbets consumed !) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2023 at 10:46 PM, Hoggy said:

Wow, your'e really on the negative stuff aren't you?

Come and have a chat with me after the meeting on Thursday and I'll try and help to balance your opinion. No tricks at all but I need to understand why you are battering King's Lynn so vehemently.

It's no good us announcing a signing until we have secured contractual obligations and fulfilled legal criteria.

I get it that it hasn't been a brilliant season but whilst we are working to improve it give us a break ffs!

No guarantees but we're working on it

Great to read this.

5 hours ago, The SAINT said:

Fully agree re Hoggy , totally approachable and will give it to you straight (as far as he can go ...sometimes further depending on the number of sherbets consumed !) 

Agree never had a problem with him at Sheffield and was always willing to chat

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 4:47 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

Firstly, let me say that I count Dave Hoggart as a good friend so I am slightly biased. Secondly, after being critical on the pages of this forum (in my opinion, both reasonably and with full justification) I have had some very hostile and aggressive - and even abusive and threatening - responses from promoters, team managers and riders both on here and in person.  I have long said that speedway's PR and the way it treats its paying customers often leave a great deal to be desired. 

Some years ago and as a result of comments made about Sheffield , Hoggy invited the diehard Tigers fan Spin King and I for a chat. I went along with some reservation given past experiences but Dave was as accommodating as he could be about the situation at the club. He couldn't tell us everything, but went as far as possible. Take it from me,  it was an enlightening experience and gave us both a better understanding of what was actually happening. I have no doubt that Spinny would agree.

As I understand it, Hoggy has responded to a request from Keith Chapman to help out at King's Lynn although he had, to my knowledge, been out of the sport for some years. 

Most of my time watching speedway was as a neutral but, having supported clubs, I know how frustrating and annoying it can be when they are performing badly. Usually, however, there are circumstances why that is the case of which the ordinary paying punter is unaware.

In the post above, Hoggy has requested that any Stars fan see him after Thursday's meeting and he will try to give some insight as to what precisely is going on - clearly, the club and team are in a difficult position following the departure of the former promoter. My advice is to take the opportunity to speak to Hoggy if you can. I'm sure you won't hear everything you might want to hear, but he is entirely approachable and reasonable and you will get some idea of the present situation. If you are very lucky, he might even buy you a beer.

Yes I remember the night well, and Dave could not have been as honest and open as possible, and he went up in my estimation as a speedway Promoter.

I would recommend any Stars fans to speak Dave, he as Halifax said approachable, friendly and as honest as he possibly be can be, and would be worthwhile especially by the fact he has posted on here that he wants fans to speak to him.

• Like 1

Pickering didn’t look comfy in his first one. When did Lewi go to Turkey?

Edited by Bald Bloke

1 minute ago, JamesHarris said:

Doesn't look like there's many people there or is that a standard attendance at Lynn?

This season we are getting about 1000

Long interview from Simon Lambert. Saying it like it is..

I'm watching this on BSN. Is anybody else suffering an occasional picture break up where the picture briefly goes a bit pixelated? My broadband and wifi are fine and normally BSN is excellent.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Yes it goes a bit blocky every so often.

Thanks Andrew. I was pretty sure it wasn't me! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1