British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British GP Cardiff Saturday 2nd September

22 minutes ago, CB252 said:

It was a coronation for him when they were involved. 

In all the years they have ridden together in the GP series, Emil has finished ahead of Zmarzlik in the final standings a grand total of 0 times.

Art managed it once on a dodgy bike, with no tricky tracks on the calendar. Let's be honest, if he'd had to ride a round at Teterow or last year's Cardiff track he'd have been all at sea like he was at Leicester and Ippo.

Dodgy bike?

8 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

9pm the day before seems ample time to get ready to me, when the meeting wasn't on until the evening - unless he has a full-time regular job which he couldn't get out of?

In conners statement he was having a 21st birthday celebration, also a full time apprentice with allied vehicles/Ford,  and lives in Glasgow,  as British U21 champion maybe he should have been 1st replacement when the seeded riders started to drop like flies 

• Like 2

Anybody else think the low sales and poor event last year is the reason that Tai and Lambert have been coaxed back to British Speedway?  To try and gain interest and enthusiasm amongst the British fans and get them to turn up? 

Let's face it, Lambert returning to KL makes zero sense in respect of reaching the play offs or financially. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Dog said:

Anybody else think the low sales and poor event last year is the reason that Tai and Lambert have been coaxed back to British Speedway?  To try and gain interest and enthusiasm amongst the British fans and get them to turn up? 

Let's face it, Lambert returning to KL makes zero sense in respect of reaching the play offs or financially. 

why would lambert/woffinden care about the attendance at Cardiff? 

• Like 2

It's pretty obvious why crowds are falling at Cardiff. The way speedway is now, Cardiff is becoming too big for it.

The event would be as big and special as it always was if the sport here could sustain support.

How many tracks are there now in the UK? On a quick count I make it 19.

Even if each track sent 1000 supporters it doesn't fill half the stadium.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It's pretty obvious why crowds are falling at Cardiff. The way speedway is now, Cardiff is becoming too big for it.

The event would be as big and special as it always was if the sport here could sustain support.

Most tracks would be glad to get 1000 supporters through their own gates most of the time , let alone send them to Cardiff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Sadly. Even (just) a 30,000 crowd would smash what would be a normal week in the UK...

With the ultimate irony being that many within that 30,000 being "close followers of the sport",  rather than domestic regulars..

Just getting those fans into the stadiums every week, or even just once a month, would see significant growth for UK speedway...

Its been a shame that the only event that gets reasonably significant mainstream coverage, is ridiculously seen by many as one of the main reasons responsible for UK Speedway struggling..

Cardiff has been a jewel in the UK Speedway crown..

Sadly. A crown left hidden away in the back of a cupboard, and not utilised anything like enough to grow the UK sport off the back of..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, therefused said:

why would lambert/woffinden care about the attendance at Cardiff? 

They probably don't but I don't think the powers that be would want to lose Cardiff to another Polish GP, so they want to get folks in and by having Woffy and Lambert back in British speedway it might just get a few more fans going to the GP and domestic meetings. 

I'm quite sure Woffy and Lambert don't need the extra income to come back so was wondering why they have? 

6 hours ago, Grachan said:

I agree less tracks will reduce the attendence but there are plenty of supporters that don't regularly attend a british club. 43,640 attendened in 2011 and there were 28 clubs..... 1559 per club. There are 20 clubs now (including IOW) so if there was exactly the same ratio of people per club there would an attendence of 31,171. However there are significant other factor at play.

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Cardiff has been a jewel in the UK Speedway crown..

Sadly. A crown left hidden away in the back of a cupboard, and not utilised anything like enough to grow the UK sport off the back of..

Think the jewel in the speedway crown over recent years has been Warsaw or even Torun. Cardiff has been a diminishing event for years and it will be interesting to see what WBD / Discovery Sports look to do in the future. There was a kickback from Wales Tourism for many years but with increasing costs and lack of tickets sales I wonder whether there is a change of thought for the British SGP moving forward. 

Personally I am undecided whether to attend the SGP this year , it has been a family event since my children were born but the thought of driving to Cardiff and back in a day to Surrey and sitting in the abyss of the Principality with 10,000 others , it is just underwhelming. 

Edited by Hackett
  • Like 2

Just a question about tickets for the SGP, I think Ive managed to get them on my phone.

Do they look like with a scan box and a small green spot with an arrow inside that shows you ticket 2.

2 hours ago, P T Preece said:

Just a question about tickets for the SGP, I think Ive managed to get them on my phone.

Do they look like with a scan box and a small green spot with an arrow inside that shows you ticket 2.

Yep, seat details on the left, QR code (I.e scan box) on the right, and then a green arrow underneath in the middle? If so yours sound exactly like mine :)

1 hour ago, midlandred said:

Can I ask….. what are blue-light tickets?

Its a scheme offering members of the blue light community (i.e NHS and emergency service staff) free tickets to sporting events, concerts etc.