British Speedway Forum
a4poster

UK Speedway in Turmoil?

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

Some will say what they like about Len and his style of management and running of a speedway team - but for many years he not only ran a very successful 2nd tier team which won all sorts but also a Conference/National league side too. Many critics said about him not spending a penny more than his budget allowed and the infamous dropping of Jason Doyle for Steve Boxall .

A couple of years later after he sold up the place closed down once it got left in the wrong hands. Same could be said for Newport and a whole host of other clubs.

Undoubtedly without Len Rye House would have ceased to exist years ago.  What his critics don’t realise is that his “budget “ was the profit from his Silver Ski business that paid for his purchase of the track and balancing the books on the running of his loss making speedway team. There would be no Rye House without Len undoubtedly. Before that he worked extremely hard, “ above and beyond “ to keep the crowds coming to Hackney. Far more than most promoters would do. Speedway owes him a lot. With his organisational talent he could certainly have been a wealthier man if he never got involved with Speedway promotion. I think he became a big old school in his presentations in the later years but that’s hardly a big deal.

As for Boxall and Doyle  I don’t think back in the days when Doyle was a reserve at Poole that many people would put money on him becoming world champion. On the other hand I think Boxall really was was one of speedways lost talents. He had great natural ability on very poor and unreliable machinery and could have been a pretty decent rider had it not been for an unfortunate combination of injuries mechanical problems, lack of sponsorship/funding, and mental attitude. He just needed someone to get him to focus more, but in terms of natural ability he was very good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Great ! No rain offs either

Closest racing there has been for years.. similar sized crowd too :)

23 hours ago, iris123 said:

In one of Briggo's book back in the 70s he said speedway needs an all weather surface. I just guess there is nothing suitable. Tarmac or concrete etc would either be dangerous or change the sport into a road racing or possibly the Japanese modification of dirt track speedway

It would be good to hear what has been tried & tested, agree with concrete/tarmac.. 

On 8/2/2023 at 9:06 AM, Skodaman said:

Many years ago they tried silver sand on tarmac but it was not a success.

This was at Crayford!

• Like 1

And as i have mentioned before i watched a meeting indoors on concrete (with some sort of sand top surface) and it was absolute carnage. In the end they didn't have enough riders to fill the heats,and one rider, the last man standing in one heat got excluded for not racing !!

It was a bit of a surprise, as both Matten Kroger and Stephan Katt both beforehand said they trained during the winter in an old warehouse. But maybe training and racing are different. Or the sand on top of concrete was the main problem. But outside, any dust or dirt and then rain on tarmac or concrete would also be a major problem 

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And as i have mentioned before i watched a meeting indoors on concrete (with some sort of sand top surface) and it was absolute carnage. In the end they didn't have enough riders to fill the heats,and one rider, the last man standing in one heat got excluded for not racing !!

It was a bit of a surprise, as both Matten Kroger and Stephan Katt both beforehand said they trained during the winter in an old warehouse. But maybe training and racing are different. Or the sand on top of concrete was the main problem. But outside, any dust or dirt and then rain on tarmac or concrete would also be a major problem 

I seem to recall that they tried something similar at Brighton but I've never seen any footage?

The concrete meeting brings another problem to mind

A rider on a dangerous track is the last one left in a heat. Poodles around and gets excluded for not racing

In a proper speedway meeting, individual title. Two riders are out in a race off for the title. by chance before the race off i went to the toilets and on my way back passed both and overheard them agreeing to put on a show....now they went out and raced side by side and were popping wheelies and the ref ignored it all

I felt more robbed by this than a single rider on a dangerous track taking it easy and just getting the 4 laps done 

4 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Undoubtedly without Len Rye House would have ceased to exist years ago.  What his critics don’t realise is that his “budget “ was the profit from his Silver Ski business that paid for his purchase of the track and balancing the books on the running of his loss making speedway team. There would be no Rye House without Len undoubtedly. Before that he worked extremely hard, “ above and beyond “ to keep the crowds coming to Hackney. Far more than most promoters would do. Speedway owes him a lot. With his organisational talent he could certainly have been a wealthier man if he never got involved with Speedway promotion. I think he became a big old school in his presentations in the later years but that’s hardly a big deal.

As for Boxall and Doyle  I don’t think back in the days when Doyle was a reserve at Poole that many people would put money on him becoming world champion. On the other hand I think Boxall really was was one of speedways lost talents. He had great natural ability on very poor and unreliable machinery and could have been a pretty decent rider had it not been for an unfortunate combination of injuries mechanical problems, lack of sponsorship/funding, and mental attitude. He just needed someone to get him to focus more, but in terms of natural ability he was very good.

What he did at Hackney never really materialised at Rye in terms of promotion but we had some special times in the Premier League under his stewardship. Hoddesdon was never a town capable of sustaining top tier speedway, as the last promotion found out. 

Towards the end there were bad decisions from Len. Doyle for Boxall being the pick of the bunch, along with the “if you don’t like it, don’t come” quote from him on parade before a meeting. That kind of comment has never been good for business. The issue fans had then wasn’t that Boxall was coming back. It was that he could have replaced a lower order rider and we could have kept Doyle. It would have made us a pretty formidable team.

There was also the debacle where we declared ridiculously early one winter before the rules regarding doubling up and average conversion were changed, during which time we’d sold Linus Sundstrom to Peterborough. We could have kept him had we waited until the AGM. That rankled at the time, in hindsight that rule change was one of the major ones that has left the sport in Britain in the mess it now finds itself in. 

• Like 1

I’ve nothing but praise for what Len did at Rye House. He made mistakes just like anyone else, but he got us our speedway track back. If only we could do that again.

• Like 1

The sport in the UK will never be successful without making it worth watching by those unaware of it...

And to do that you need a focal point to create interest..

And that is hyoe and money...

Darts for example came from nowhere due to the money being put up..

The big prize creates interest, and sponsorship off the back of it..

Seven clubs in the Prem, averaging say 1200 a night, at £20 a pop, for 12 matches a season each, would bring in collectively over 2 million quid in income..

Meaning that clubs must pay out an extraordinary amount if they struggle to keep heads above water with that level of income..

Maybe spending some of that incredible output and making a few "big prize" comps would help the whole league structure be more visited off the back of them? 

It seems folly to spend so much, and all we have is what we have today to show for it... 

Edit. And the 2nd tier must take in and pay out over a million collectively..

Over 3 million quid is an incredible amount to deliver the current situation..

Edited by mikebv

14 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

I’ve nothing but praise for what Len did at Rye House. He made mistakes just like anyone else, but he got us our speedway track back. If only we could do that again.

Don’t get me wrong, we wouldn’t have had Speedway back at Rye House if it wasn’t for Len’s efforts (as well as those who got the team back on track in the first place as a nomadic side). But for all the good it wasn’t all roses. It’s important to not think everything was sweetness and light. 2005 and 2007 are two seasons I will always hold dear to me however.