British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
June01

Belle Vue Fairground, Dick Fisher, Ken Sharples

Looking for something relating to my past and found this. Does anyone remember this particular ride, and what happened to it? And what about the riders' involvement in funfairs? How did they start up, and where did they go from here? Any memories would be appreciated.

https://shop.memorylane.co.uk/mirror/0400to0499-00436/opening-new-water-chute-belle-vue-fairground-21646844.html

Edited by June01

Was that ride still there in the 70s, as soon as I saw it I think it brought memories back

The Water Chute was right at the front of the funfair in front of the Bobs and behind the turnstiles at the junction of Hyde Road and Belle Vue street.

It was opened in 1957 and dismantled in 1978 and sold to  Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Wish I'd seen the fairground and zoo...had all gone by the time I got up to Hyde Road in the middle eighties.

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Wish I'd seen the fairground and zoo...had all gone by the time I got up to Hyde Road in the middle eighties.

Oh, you never got there, then? Last time I went to the Fairground would have been for the KOC Cup match in 1980, and we had fun on the go-karts. It closed down in October that year.

When we went up for the KO Cup Final in 1970, I dropped my hot dog in the Fairground...

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Oh, you never got there, then? Last time I went to the Fairground would have been for the KOC Cup match in 1980, and we had fun on the go-karts. It closed down in October that year.

When we went up for the KO Cup Final in 1970, I dropped my hot dog in the Fairground...

Afraid not...first time I wentt to the speedway at Hyde Road was in 1984 and the surrounding area was rather depressing I recall.

I was there in 1965 and remeber it well-including the fact that the meeting was rained off after about 6 heats!!!

On 7/10/2023 at 5:35 PM, chunky said:

How the heck do you remember dropping your Hot Dog, I can't even remember what I had for Dinner last night!

All I really remember from the Fairgrounds was the "Bobs"....enjoyed that.

Speedway was great there.....think I first went in about 1961 and saw the at least the first eight BLRC's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andout said:

How the heck do you remember dropping your Hot Dog, I can't even remember what I had for Dinner last night!

Speedway was great there.....think I first went in about 1961 and saw the at least the first eight BLRC's.

I also dropped my hot dog at White Hart Lane a couple of years later! Yes, I have a history...

16 hours ago, chunky said:

I also dropped my hot dog at White Hart Lane a couple of years later! Yes, I have a history...

I can safely say then "You are going to the dogs"!

On 7/25/2023 at 10:37 PM, andout said:

Surely you recall the Scenic Railway too, it went right past the 1st bend behind the terracing, then again I suppose if that's where you stood to watch the speedway you wouldn't have necessarily noticed it.  We used to sit above the entrance to the 3rd bend, so I can remember seeing the people on the ride as the railcars went past.  The Bobs were quite a scary ride back then.

There were also the Suites, Windermere was one, can't remember the names of the others, the Aces end of season get-togethers were always at the Windermere Suite, seemed quite posh back then.

The BLRC's were brilliant, coaches came from every club in the country, 25,000 sell-out every year, cracking atmosphere, great memories.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nw42 said:

There were also the Suites, Windermere was one, can't remember the names of the others,

The Cumberland suite and Bavaria suite

Edited by PotteringAround
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nw42 said:

the Scenic Railway too, it went right past the 1st bend behind the terracing,

True... and of course you could see the speedway track when on board the railway.......And nearby that ride there was a 'wall of death' motorbike rider...the guy set off on the bottom then as he picked up speed he would zoom around the inside of the circular track sideways, as the people watched at the top. Scary I recall and Belle Vue was the only place I ever saw such a remarkable event.

6 hours ago, nw42 said:

Surely you recall the Scenic Railway too, it went right past the 1st bend behind the terracing, then again I suppose if that's where you stood to watch the speedway you wouldn't have necessarily noticed it.  We used to sit above the entrance to the 3rd bend, so I can remember seeing the people on the ride as the railcars went past.  The Bobs were quite a scary ride back then.

There were also the Suites, Windermere was one, can't remember the names of the others, the Aces end of season get-togethers were always at the Windermere Suite, seemed quite posh back then.

The BLRC's were brilliant, coaches came from every club in the country, 25,000 sell-out every year, cracking atmosphere, great memories.

Now I'm confused, yes I know, that is easy for me.......wasn't what you call the scenic Railway the "Bobs" or am I totally confused?

If I am then yes I remember BOTH!

29 minutes ago, andout said:

Now I'm confused, yes I know, that is easy for me.......wasn't what you call the scenic Railway the "Bobs" or am I totally confused?

If I am then yes I remember BOTH!

The scenic railway was the one you could often see behind the first bend in photos of the Hyde Road track.

The Bobs was the wooden roller coaster that was the fastest in the world in its prime.