British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford vs Glasgow - Champ - 19/7

It is fine building a team of racers but no league is ever won without a top class rider who gates for fun

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

I’m annoyed. We threw that away. We didn’t need to win - losing by 8 would be fine, easy enough to pull back at home with the boys firing. Just dumb choices in crucial moments.

Good to see Marcin on it tonight.

Not bad for his first visit to Oxford, will wait for the "bringing back Marcin was a mistake" brigade to voice their opinions again.

Same as Redcar away, tight meetings with a strong heat leaders and one strong reserve (Heeps tonight, Edwards at Redcar) and we just can't get heat advantages in heats 12 and 14. So it leaves it 50/50 on how the meeting plays out,  From the results in heats 13 and 15. Barring in mind going into heat 12 we were only 4 points down.

We are majorly struggling at 6 and looking at tonight's result I think finishing out of  the top 3 is looking very realistic.

• Like 2

Well done to Oxford , they dug deep after losing Schlein, hopefully Rory not too banged up, strength in depth works, unfortunately we need all our top 5 to be on top form to cover for our weak reserves and gating is still a major problem for Glasgow riders.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

52 - 38  to Oxford s my guess for tonight

Easy this guess the score tonight

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

I think probably case, he's a better rider, despite having disappeared in big meetings!! Added a point to average and certainly done more passing at Glasgow this season than before. Definitely needs to get the elbows out more 

We've already moved him away from 5 which should be easier with no ht13 but I dont think its working paired with Vissing, he and Basso are much better. Brennan does seem noticeably absent in the big heats.

Vissing is reknowned for his mid season collapse, although tonight was frustrating he will come good again. 

If we could find a competent and consistent 4 pointer, the cheque book should come out. We didn't take advantage of Oxford going a man down tonight because we couldn't. Just like against Poole we didn't gate and never forced Oxford to chase the meeting.

Reason why we got beat & will continue to get beat in big meetings is at reserve , our 6&7 just aren't strong enough whoever assembled the team with such weak reserves is an idiot a blind man can see its not working & hasnt since week 1 it was a ridiculous line up , the pressure on the top 4 to compete is immense because of lack of points in lower order claus was poor tonight which is a substitute for marcin usually poor away ...but Cameron heeps won the meeting at reserve for oxford his points were huge & we all knew it was gonna happen glasgow take note .. with Rory out tigers should have done better in my opinion & if ppl don't like that tough ...I want to see tigers as strong as possible we have no right to win i get that & the guys tried hard i understand that too its nothing personal but were not a team of 1-7 were a 5 man team sometimes 4 and thats the brutal truth sadly ...

2 hours ago, DazS said:

yes H&S regime a lot to answer for this snow flake society we live in.

I was at Swindon the night mark Thorpe got knocked off his machine by a tractor grading so me think humans and tractors don’t mix

just saying

• Like 1

What about that heat15 Scotty Nichols truly amazing in that race another gem served up at sandy lane

• Like 3

I'll keep this short glasgow need to make a change at reserve now complin is the one to go glasgow made it clear ace was a project so they're gonna keep him I personally think it was too soon & aces time was next Yr but there u go ...they need to get the strongest rider possible whoever that may be I thought tate zitchke but I've no idea if he would come or fit in team average etc....but lee complins time is up ndl is his level sadly he's a cracking guy I know all this ...but if tigers want to stand any tiny chance of a trophy it needs to be done soon

1 hour ago, Cerro said:

To end up losing by 14 after Schlein’s withdrawal is shocking. Didn’t think we were ever going to win the meeting but those last few heats have probably chucked the bonus point away also. 

Then you’ve got the ‘manager’ coming on after the meeting saying we were unlucky a few times, the guy just waffles sh*te constantly :icon_smile_clown:

Please put an end to the Complin experiment now. 

Good to see Marcin in the points, looked quicker tonight. Think he was more nervous doing his BSN interview than riding the track :rofl:

Cami and his sound bites are embarrassing, if we can see we’re the problems are why can’t he.

I just wish he would call it like it is instead off talking sh*te we know it’s sh*te and so does he.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DazS said:

Jenkins at fault sorry to say. no way Harris. 

You need a trip to specsavers. 

Harris booed for the rest of the meeting - while Jenkins was the hero of the night, clearly not 100% after Harris wiped him out but continued in the meeting and took vital points in 12 and 14. Vissing also sent Jordan flying in Heat 14, as finally the ref took his red and white specs off and excluded a Glasgow rider.

Brilliant backs-to-the-wall stuff from Oxford, while Glasgow chucked away a golden opportunity. 

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Cabbageman said:

Reason why we got beat & will continue to get beat in big meetings is at reserve , our 6&7 just aren't strong enough whoever assembled the team with such weak reserves is an idiot a blind man can see its not working & hasnt since week 1 it was a ridiculous line up , the pressure on the top 4 to compete is immense because of lack of points in lower order claus was poor tonight which is a substitute for marcin usually poor away ...but Cameron heeps won the meeting at reserve for oxford his points were huge & we all knew it was gonna happen glasgow take note .. with Rory out tigers should have done better in my opinion & if ppl don't like that tough ...I want to see tigers as strong as possible we have no right to win i get that & the guys tried hard i understand that too its nothing personal but were not a team of 1-7 were a 5 man team sometimes 4 and thats the brutal truth sadly ...

Think you're being a bit too harsh on their team selection. All of Glasgow's top 5 have upped their averages, so who would you replace to start with a stronger reserve? Pre-season I thought Complin was worth a go, obviously he's not hit the form anyone is wanting. Ace is also doing his job, so don't agree with suggestions I've read that it was a year too soon to step up.

While Heeps did well at reserve, don't forget he's in that position because Akins has gone from a 2.0 to a 5.5 rider this season, who would have anticipated that?

If that was Pijper, Vissing could have dropped to reserve, ditto any team with a 2.00 rider!

• Like 3

Glasgow must be disappointed with yesterday's result, Oxford weakens but could take advantage. I expect the Tigers to be near the top of most competitions, but can't see them beating the top clubs over 2 legs as it stands.

Gotta give Oxford lots of credit too, twice now they've lost Kerr (Schlein) during a match but still won.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

While Heeps did well at reserve, don't forget he's in that position because Akins has gone from a 2.0 to a 5.5 rider this season, who would have anticipated that?

from all the two pointers, definitely not who I'd pick at the start of the season, but what an improvement. 

With Marcin only needing 4 meetings for his CMA this year and based on his 2021 scoring it was always going to put a big gap between our reserves and #2.

Oxford gambled with 2x2 pointers and it's definitely paying off.

• Like 1

Watched this on BSN. Why is speedway always more entertaining on BSN than it is on Eurosport? I enjoyed the coverage despite the delays. On Eurosport I've often lost the will to live after about 5 heats.

Oxford also looked nice on the telly. The pits on the back straight works well in that context. Nice to see Oxford have a scoreboard up on the back straight too. It's a major bugbear of mine that so many stadiums don't have that. I might even be tempted to pay Cowley a visit this year now.

One moment Lee Complin is the brightest prospect in British speedway - the next, he's a veteran struggling at reserve. Where did my life go?

• Like 2