British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Odds On

Monmore Green

Interesting to see that ARC have put in planning permission for a greyhound track at the horse track in the City, surely this cannot be good news for the future of speedway in Wolverhampton?

31 minutes ago, Odds On said:

Interesting to see that ARC have put in planning permission for a greyhound track at the horse track in the City, surely this cannot be good news for the future of speedway in Wolverhampton?

Probably basing it on the idea of Dundalk racetrack in Ireland. Greyhound track inside a floodlight All-Weather horseracing venue. From an entertainment perspective it would make perfect business sense to combine the two at the same venue. Unfortunately is doesn't bode well for speedway unless they could fit a speedway track inside the greyhound track inside the racecourse but I don't know what the housing situation is around Dunstall Park.  

5 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

Probably basing it on the idea of Dundalk racetrack in Ireland. Greyhound track inside a floodlight All-Weather horseracing venue. From an entertainment perspective it would make perfect business sense to combine the two at the same venue. Unfortunately is doesn't bode well for speedway unless they could fit a speedway track inside the greyhound track inside the racecourse but I don't know what the housing situation is around Dunstall Park.  

My question would be, is this in addition to Monmore Green or instead of ? If the the latter then you  would  assume the owners are thinking of selling Monmore Green/land for housing. However, I thought that there was a covenant saying the area could only be used for sporting purposes. All very confusing. Nothing in this, I think, that gives any hope for the speedway. Ideally, a speedway track could be added as well but the racecourse has housing around it.

5 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

The racecourse now covers about half the site it used to be on, i visited the old course a few times in the eighties before they sold off some of the land and reduced the size, and guess what became of that land....housing 

So they move the dogs to the horse racecourse, kick the speedway out, leave the stadium to be vandalised and then get planning permission for housing(claiming using the stadium for sport is unviable). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beowulf said:

My question would be, is this in addition to Monmore Green or instead of ? If the the latter then you  would  assume the owners are thinking of selling Monmore Green/land for housing. However, I thought that there was a covenant saying the area could only be used for sporting purposes. All very confusing. Nothing in this, I think, that gives any hope for the speedway. Ideally, a speedway track could be added as well but the racecourse has housing around it.

Covenant or not the developers just draw a pretty picture of a basketball court and a 4g pitch in the blurb and the council give it all a big tick.....

Presumably there'll be no statements on the future of Monmore until they get planning for Dunstall 

7 hours ago, eric i said:

So they move the dogs to the horse racecourse, kick the speedway out, leave the stadium to be vandalised and then get planning permission for housing(claiming using the stadium for sport is unviable). 

You have seen the plan then? :D

Rinse and Repeat...

Kerching.....

51 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Presumably there'll be no statements on the future of Monmore until they get planning for Dunstall 

If you are struggling to breathe and have blood running down your face do you need a statement to tell you someone has punched you in the face!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, noaksey said:

Are Arc and Entain the same company ?

7 hours ago, Toady said:

Are Arc and Entain the same company ?

No. However, they have joined forces to promote Premier Greyhound Racing. Arc own a number of racecourses and Entain own dog tracks through their Ladbroke and Coral organisations.

10 hours ago, salty said:

No. However, they have joined forces to promote Premier Greyhound Racing. Arc own a number of racecourses and Entain own dog tracks through their Ladbroke and Coral organisations.

Have Ladbrokes always been part of Entain ? It seemed the relationship of the speedway with Ladbrokes was always seemed very good.