British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Poole "preparing" their starts

9 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

So bearing in mind the Glasgow meeting was in July, what seems strange is that it took them 3 months to get the track suitable for there own home riders.

Also let's not belittle the OP by saying all tracks are the same and are done to advantage the home team, Poole have deliberately set up the starts so they appear one way but aren't actually as they seem.

Again I'll dig through the BSN Redcar meeting and get Danny Kings statement and hopeful we can put this BS to bed.

Poole had a load of new shale delivered in June which was being introduced onto the track in weekly lots so was likely to be differently prepared for each meeting.

• Thanks 1

Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to 

"Everybody prepares their starts - get over it"

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MilhouseZmarzlik said:

Can somebody elaborate on what Eastbourne used to do? Pouring water on opposition starting gates? How the hell did they get away with that

I used to stand near the start line at Eastie and never saw them watering the start line specifically in one area, normally Eastie chose heat 15 if they won the toss and did see Bob Dugard grade a path differently for Nicki Pedersen to the first bend, and saw the same done for Peter Karlsson on a trip to Wolves. Done everywhere and always has been in my veiw.

17 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to 

"Everybody prepares their starts - get over it"

Totally agree

But as long as it includes 

"Everybody prepares their starts, but Poole prepare them more than anyone else"

Edited by Cast1rn
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gazzac said:

I used to stand near the start line at Eastie and never saw them watering the start line specifically in one area, normally Eastie chose heat 15 if they won the toss and did see Bob Dugard grade a path differently for Nicki Pedersen to the first bend, and saw the same done for Peter Karlsson on a trip to Wolves. Done everywhere and always has been in my veiw.

Hmm, I have also stood at the start line at Eastie (only once mind you) and whatever gates Eastie were on in each race, extra 'prep' went on there. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Just a fly comment, pull the other one, just watched it again as I have far too much time on my hands.  I'm sure you're a BSN subscriber so have a little watch on Danny's track walk again and he explains how the starts are made to look, by being ripped up and packed to appear firm, but due to the depths the bike will sink in when the clutch is dropped.:t:

Now I'm guessing with the cat out the bag,The starts needed to be changed again for the future meetings. 

Oh I forgot about that one! I was thinking of interviews when he was a Poole rider in 2022. 

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Hmm, I have also stood at the start line at Eastie (only once mind you) and whatever gates Eastie were on in each race, extra 'prep' went on there. 

remember leicester being there and when that happened Stewart Dickson went straight to the ref and demanded they made them grade them evenly 

• Like 1

No one will ever forget  Jimmy Beaton’s tractor driving during the meeting preparing the starts for home riders in the Blantyre days.Classic.Them days they came out with the grader whenever they wanted.Peter Waite and Billy the Bowser “track watering” during the meeting at Berwick also comes to mind.

Edited by Fromafar

19 minutes ago, mac101 said:

remember leicester being there and when that happened Stewart Dickson went straight to the ref and demanded they made them grade them evenly 

Oh, wish I was there to have seen that! Esp considering where the refs box is :D

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Oh, wish I was there to have seen that! Esp considering where the refs box is :D

he made the ref come down to the gates stewart’s no that daft lol  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Hilly said:

No problem with how home tracks prepare the circuit, part of the game.

One rule change I would like thou is any team 6 or more behind gets gate choice in each subsequent heat , only being able to use one tactical sub is a bit limiting.

Wasn't it the late Jon Cook that suggested the losing team could pick any two gates, so pick one and four, two and three etc. That could open a can of worms.

12 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Wasn't it the late Jon Cook that suggested the losing team could pick any two gates, so pick one and four, two and three etc. That could open a can of worms.

They did that in the KO Cup one year , just looked weird 

This has been done to death 

Of course Poole can do what they like with the starts it’s home advantage and Poole have a team of gaters so they will prepare the starts to help them simple as 

And yes in the days of Loram and Nicholls do you honestly think Poole prepared the starts like they do now and enable visitors like Hancock for example to fly out the starts …. Of course not 

Poole have a team of gaters they will not prepare the starts or the track in a way that will help opponents hence no passing at Poole 

Its not rocket science 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Gavan said:

This has been done to death 

Of course Poole can do what they like with the starts it’s home advantage and Poole have a team of gaters so they will prepare the starts to help them simple as 

And yes in the days of Loram and Nicholls do you honestly think Poole prepared the starts like they do now and enable visitors like Hancock for example to fly out the starts …. Of course not 

Poole have a team of gaters they will not prepare the starts or the track in a way that will help opponents hence no passing at Poole 

Its not rocket science 

We have a team of ali-gaters because we snap up all the silverware! :rofl:

C'mon the Boyzzzzzzz! :t:

Edited by lbw