British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Poole "preparing" their starts

Lisa collette I knew you wouldn't get my post as you don't have the brains for it ... as I mentioned on my post sadly some just don't get it that is you...maybe when you have no track if you & the pirates team ask nicely maybe you can race at a real racing track ashfield as glasgow own theirs unlike Poole...see bragging 2 can play at that game but the thing is its not nice is it Lisa hmmm....again I'll wait for the penny to drop I know it will be a long wait 

7 minutes ago, Cabbageman said:

Lisa collette I knew you wouldn't get my post as you don't have the brains for it ... as I mentioned on my post sadly some just don't get it that is you...maybe when you have no track if you & the pirates team ask nicely maybe you can race at a real racing track ashfield as glasgow own theirs unlike Poole...see bragging 2 can play at that game but the thing is its not nice is it Lisa hmmm....again I'll wait for the penny to drop I know it will be a long wait 

Thanks for the comedy!! 

Oh, wasn't much of a race track last week was it. Also who is bragging? You obviously want a trophy, Poole have loads. Seems an ideal solution to me! 

Don't compare Wimbore Road to ashfield love your not gonna win that argument no matter how hard you try ... yes glasgow do want trophies we will get there just a matter of time pet ... maybe in a few yrs we will be top dogs & let's hope pirates are still going then eh 

Perhaps reverting to a concrete starting area would remove any "manipulation" and all the "digging" and "time wasting" prior to race?

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Perhaps reverting to a concrete starting area would remove any "manipulation" and all the "digging" and "time wasting" prior to race?

Surely concrete starting gates are a huge safety hazard. Why on earth bring back something very dangerous?

38 minutes ago, Toady said:

Surely concrete starting gates are a huge safety hazard. Why on earth bring back something very dangerous?

I would agree but just raised it for debate...can't recall when they were used and the initiative lasted only a couple of years (?). Personally I used to rather enjoy all the kidology with riders trying to psych each other out when lining up at the start kicking up the dirt and digging their heels and toes although there were some who took it to an extreme.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:48 AM, steve roberts said:

I would agree but just raised it for debate...can't recall when they were used and the initiative lasted only a couple of years (?). Personally I used to rather enjoy all the kidology with riders trying to psych each other out when lining up at the start kicking up the dirt and digging their heels and toes although there were some who took it to an extreme.

Agree with above, prob a bit rich given my user name ;).  Personally don't have an issue with 'preparing' the starts, before the start of the actual meeting.  The track is obv the same for all 4 riders, they are professionals so on the track walk should be able to decide "ok the starting area & track is slick / grippy / whatever, so I need to ride 'like this' & set up the bike 'like that' ".  The more experienced rides advise the lesser experienced ones & team captain make sure everyone is happy, then keep an eye on track prep, how the track is riding, etc.   So much of the 'set up' can be changed in the pits; ignition timing, carburation jetting, gear ratio, length of bike (adjust rear wheel within frame) & prob a few more I've forgotten, only the compression ratio cannot really be altered once at the track as a paritial engine strip is required.  And surely all riders carry a little black book' with favourite set info.  Not suggesting any rider is called Shirley :D. Like I said the track is the same for all 4 riders, I do have slight issue when gate postions can be indiviually prepped before each heat favouring home riders, though it could be argued it's also part of the kidology & fun.  Speedway, eh?...

Edited by martinmauger
bealted spelling
  • Like 1

Cabbageman Do Glasgow Speedway own Ashfield Stadium? Or is it part of Allied Vehicles Group?

10 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Cabbageman Do Glasgow Speedway own Ashfield Stadium? Or is it part of Allied Vehicles Group?

It’s probably splitting hairs but it looks like the promoting company, Glasgow Tigers Speedway Limited does not own Ashfield Stadium. I suspect you’re correct that ownership lies somewhere within the Allied group

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

It’s probably splitting hairs but it looks like the promoting company, Glasgow Tigers Speedway Limited does not own Ashfield Stadium. I suspect you’re correct that ownership lies somewhere within the Allied group

The question then is, do Tigers "pay" rent?

11 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Whyin the world of speedway madness does it matter.......

Let's stick on topic here....

Poole mess with their starts Boo Boo Meany's.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Ashfield Allied owns Ashfield and is Glasgow Speedways parent company. It made a small profit in 2022 and is unlikely to have any other income, so presumably the Tigers pay rent 

2 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Whyin the world of speedway madness does it matter.......

Let's stick on topic here....

Poole mess with their starts Boo Boo Meany's.

Read my reply, :cheers:

Edited by tyretrax