British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bojangles

Oxford vs Kent - NDL - 08/08

Just now, Sings4Speedway said:

2nd year in a row

With so many tracks closed, people like me travel long distances and will book hotels. I always book a place where you can cancel up to lunchtime (ish). I will remember this cancellation when I think about popping to Oxford.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FromBendThree said:

With so many tracks closed, people like me travel long distances and will book hotels. I always book a place where you can cancel up to lunchtime (ish). I will remember this cancellation when I think about popping to Oxford.

Very sad and stupid because the successful return of Oxford has been incredible but daft moves like this are harmful to every club. How early did Poole make the decision? IOW for tomorrow was also called off this morning but Oxford allowed riders and fans to travel and take time away from work for a lost cause.

Massive own goal by Oxford showing complete lack of consideration for the fans as they've done previously when they called the Plymouth match off earlier this season just before the start :nono:

12 hours ago, lewy said:

Massive own goal by Oxford showing complete lack of consideration for the fans as they've done previously when they called the Plymouth match off earlier this season just before the start :nono:

Those in glass houses, Mr. Trigger!  At least Oxford take sensible options in trying to get meetings on - none which end up with the fire brigade being called!

As for yesterday, there was no rain at all until 5pm and the heavy rain didn't come until after 6pm.  You can't call a meeting off simply on the strength of the forecast alone, when we all know how unreliable British weather forecasts are, especially at this time of year when the weather is so changeable.  Had it been belting down with rain all day, and also been forecast to rain in the evening, I'm sure they would have been an earlier call-off, as there was Oxford v Swindon right at the start of the season which was called off in the morning, but that wasn't the case.

Oxford have got on at least two meetings (Cheetahs v Poole and Chargers v Leicester) when some internet "weather experts" said otherwise, and supporters know that Oxford will always put on every effort to put the meeting on. Last night didn't work out, while in other instances it has.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Those in glass houses, Mr. Trigger!  At least Oxford take sensible options in trying to get meetings on - none which end up with the fire brigade being called!

As for yesterday, there was no rain at all until 5pm and the heavy rain didn't come until after 6pm.  You can't call a meeting off simply on the strength of the forecast alone, when we all know how unreliable British weather forecasts are, especially at this time of year when the weather is so changeable.  Had it been belting down with rain all day, and also been forecast to rain in the evening, I'm sure they would have been an earlier call-off, as there was Oxford v Swindon right at the start of the season which was called off in the morning, but that wasn't the case.

Oxford have got on at least two meetings (Cheetahs v Poole and Chargers v Leicester) when some internet "weather experts" said otherwise, and supporters know that Oxford will always put on every effort to put the meeting on. Last night didn't work out, while in other instances it has.

Many meetings have been called off due to a bad forecast!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Many meetings have been called off due to a bad forecast!

I recall back in 1974 Gordon Kennett phoned ahead from his Kent base to check as to whether the meeting at Cowley against Swindon was to go head and was told by then Oxford Promoter Bob Radford that it had been postponed only for it to go ahead and Oxford used Alan Johns as a replacemant and we lost to those pesky "Budgies"...Radford resigned soon after and always maintained a chip on his shoulder as regards Oxford thereafter.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I recall back in 1974 Gordon Kennett phoned ahead from his Kent base to check as to whether the meeting at Cowley against Swindon was to go head and was told by then Oxford Promoter Bob Radford that it had been postponed only for it to go ahead and Oxford used Alan Johns as a replacemant and we lost to those pesky "Budgies"...Radford resigned soon after and always maintained a chip on his shoulder as regards Oxford thereafter.

We had a little wager in 2004 on whether Oxford or Swindon would finish higher. It was Oxford, and fair play to Bob, who promptly handed over £50 to the Ben Fund.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Dress it up how you like,bad call end of,poole and Isle of Wight went by the forecast and made the sensible call Oxford didn't, poor show.

10 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

New dates:

Tuesday, August 8th - Oxford v Kent

Sunday, August 20th - Kent v Oxford

Interesting as Kent Mildenhall is also that date. Double header feels like a touch of madness given Iwades recent meetings

4 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

You can when the met office are saying 90-95% chance of heavy rain from 6pm -2am. Was never going to be on. But I guess the admission policy makes it so that Oxford will never do an early call off imo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Interesting as Kent Mildenhall is also that date. Double header feels like a touch of madness given Iwades recent meetings

Looks like it is a double header!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

As Kent only had 8 home fixtures to fit in, I can't believe they have resorted to staging a double header!

11 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

As for yesterday, there was no rain at all until 5pm and the heavy rain didn't come until after 6pm.  You can't call a meeting off simply on the strength of the forecast alone, when we all know how unreliable British weather forecasts are, especially at this time of year when the weather is so changeable.

Actually you can, clubs just have to judge the situation, some make more of an effort to get matches on, others will cut their losses very often.

The downside of running against a poor forecast if the crowd level will likely be lower with fans either deciding it's gonna get called off or will be a wet & miserable night even if it's on! 

The problem with last night's call off is fans may be even less likely to attend in poor weather in the future now?

• Like 1