British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric i

Simon Stead and Oliver Allen.... Stand down?

3 hours ago, truthsayer said:

The Poles were massive favourites and the Brits took them to the last race.

I'd suggest that's overperforming...

There are plenty on here who are happy to tell you you're wrong!

On 7/30/2023 at 8:48 PM, Ben91 said:

It was the correct decision. They’re building a team spirit and riders such as Brennan and Ellis have time to improve still. 

Any criticism of our team or the management after missing out on the World Cup in the final race is a little silly if you ask me. 

Ellis will never improve past where he is.   His size and weight on the bike will hold him back. 

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Ellis will never improve past where he is.   His size and weight on the bike will hold him back. 

Was nt a certain 6 Times world champion a similar height to Ellis 

45 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Was nt a certain 6 Times world champion a similar height to Ellis 

And the GOAT Nielsen ;) It's ability not height or even weight. 

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

And the GOAT Nielsen ;) It's ability not height or even weight. 

Weight must be a factor in how fast a machine can travel.  There can be no doubt about that.  

28 minutes ago, Mark said:

Weight must be a factor in how fast a machine can travel.  There can be no doubt about that.  

I don't think it makes much difference. The bikes never reach their top speed and there is a fair amount of resistance. Tiny riders in history have not been more successful,  schofield, turner, bjerre as three examples. 

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I don't think it makes much difference. The bikes never reach their top speed and there is a fair amount of resistance. Tiny riders in history have not been more successful,  schofield, turner, bjerre as three examples. 

Weight may not be a factor in top speed, but it will be in terms of acceleration. Coming out of the start or exiting the bends are theoretically improved by a lower weight. I say theoretically, because the assumption is that the rear wheel can get the power down on the track the same, regardless of the weight applied. This is clearly not necessarily the case. So there may be an optimal weight. 
Maybe a rider needs to of a certain weight but good, aerodynamically.

Hell this is more complex than I'd thought when I started this response

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Rider weight makes a big difference. 

6 hours ago, Monarchs2468 said:

Rider weight makes a big difference. 

so what margins of weight are you talking about.? you have said big difference, elaborate.   

There's merits to all arguments. I'd have had Lawson & / or Wright in the side over Brennan. They're just both better & I don't think Brennan is the future at all. He certainly doesn't have the ability & aura of a young Woffinden, Bewley & Lambert. He's not going to be that level. 

Anyway, it's also correct to exclude them if they're skipping team events associated with Great Britain. The last thing needed is rider's being able to pick & choose their international meeting. It's unfair on those that are putting themselves out there for the National flag. 

• Like 3

I was catching up on reading the Speedway Star yesterday and there was an interview with Adam Ellis in the issue a couple of weeks ago. He mentions that Woffinden and the GB team had organised a practice day at Wroclaw, understandably didn't expect Tai, Bewley or Lambert to need to be there but was surprised to find he was the only one who turned up. 

Again, if he's prepared to put the effort in when others aren't, those riders can't complain when they don't get selected. 

• Like 4

On 8/2/2023 at 10:51 AM, Daniel Smith said:

There's merits to all arguments. I'd have had Lawson & / or Wright in the side over Brennan. They're just both better & I don't think Brennan is the future at all. He certainly doesn't have the ability & aura of a young Woffinden, Bewley & Lambert. He's not going to be that level. 

Anyway, it's also correct to exclude them if they're skipping team events associated with Great Britain. The last thing needed is rider's being able to pick & choose their international meeting. It's unfair on those that are putting themselves out there for the National flag. 

Something that Tai, Lambert and Bewley all do by the way 

21 hours ago, The Cheese said:

I was catching up on reading the Speedway Star yesterday and there was an interview with Adam Ellis in the issue a couple of weeks ago. He mentions that Woffinden and the GB team had organised a practice day at Wroclaw, understandably didn't expect Tai, Bewley or Lambert to need to be there but was surprised to find he was the only one who turned up. 

Again, if he's prepared to put the effort in when others aren't, those riders can't complain when they don't get selected. 

Sometime back in the 90's, the old WTC 4TT format, the final was held at Coventry. I read, Saturday practice, the Danes, Swedes and the Americans were all there testing set ups, not one Brit turned up. We came last that year, absolutely tonked, fans blamed it on a smooth track set up for the Danes. The Speedway Star blamed it on lack of Brits getting the set ups right for the track. 

Perhaps it's work load, but I get what you are saying and kudos to those riders who want it and network with the promoters to get it.

My biggest complaint against Stead & Allen is my filling the squad with 10 riders, Lawson & Wright being the obvious omissions. Even if they have something against them & don't want to pick them (which would be unprofessional) why not give 2 junior riders squad positions to give them a confidence boost, Flint & Bailey for example?

• Like 1