British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Stars v Witches 3/8/23

It has been said that the shale used currently is well suited for stock cars, and apparently they have the same type at Peterborough now.

To be fair Roynon seems to be a bit of a lone voice amongst the riders, generally when interviewed they're pretty complimentary about the track... but then they tend to like to trap and clear off into the distance, maybe different when you're always at the back (or a fan watching it)

Edited by iainb

18 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

It's no doubt mostly down to cost and also partly down to supply haps, im sure ive read before that shale is getting harder and harder to get and it all comes from up north of the country, pretty sure it ain't cheap to transport a wagon full of the stuff either and Buster likes to save money everywhere he can.

That's true every track in the country used the same shale from Harbury in South Midlands. Which was the best but stopped supplying because a few promoter's did not pay there bills so the guy who owned it closed it down. Then alot of tracks used breadon shale until they stopped supplying, it was used to build new tracks at Birmingham, Leicester and bell vue . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I think to answer that question you need to take their performances over a whole season, in Poland as well as the UK. What isn't in any doubt is their respective commitment and effort in the UK, Emil is miles ahead in that regard.

Second and fourth in Ekstraliga averages. (Woffinden and Doyle are 18th and 19th)

3 hours ago, SSL84 said:

Just asking why people are saying that the track is crap as there as been stock cars and speedway for year's, with the same promotion! And fans saying how good the track and racing was then. So what's gone wrong?  

Delusion. I was in that category too for far to long. Hanging on to the 80s & 90s of terrific racing & absolutely being in denial that from 2005+ the racing was more than not, abysmal. 

All we used to bang on about is it's smooth, no ruts, super fast, race track of the year awards etc while away fans constantly complained. 

Thinking back, there wasn't many conversation from us home fans about how good the racing was. We were just constantly on the defensive of our beloved "great race track". 

Criticism wasn't welcome at all, especially because we were winning in the 2nd tier. 

Now we're so so bad the realism of the whole situation has brought the racing quality to light. 

3 hours ago, iainb said:

To be fair Roynon seems to be a bit of a lone voice amongst the riders, generally when interviewed they're pretty complimentary about the track... but then they tend to like to trap and clear off into the distance, maybe different when you're always at the back (or a fan watching it)

I guess when you’ve literally died on that track, you’d not be surprised that it doesn’t rank as a favourite. He’s not the only one to say the same though, Scott Nicholls has in an interview earlier this season for example and there are others. What one rider enjoys isn’t the same as the next, Kings Lynn has a lot of clay in the mix which make it different to many in how it rides. The interesting thing is how it has caught home riders out this year but lately seems to have been more consistent. Last night it was a lot slicker and packed than previous visits when we did the BSN track walk, possibly in part due to the weather situation. 

9 minutes ago, IanBrannan said:

I guess when you’ve literally died on that track, you’d not be surprised that it doesn’t rank as a favourite. He’s not the only one to say the same though, Scott Nicholls has in an interview earlier this season for example and there are others. What one rider enjoys isn’t the same as the next, Kings Lynn has a lot of clay in the mix which make it different to many in how it rides. The interesting thing is how it has caught home riders out this year but lately seems to have been more consistent. Last night it was a lot slicker and packed than previous visits when we did the BSN track walk, possibly in part due to the weather situation. 

Roynon’s accident at Lynn was a bit of a freak situation with regards to his bike. Could have happened anywhere at any time as far as I recall. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Roynon’s accident at Lynn was a bit of a freak situation with regards to his bike. Could have happened anywhere at any time as far as I recall. 

That maybe true but if a rider has a bad crash at a particular venue then it is in their mind forever.

5 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

It was the spindle that came out of the front wheel, he talks about it on the track walk yesterday. It could have happened to anyone, they were on bikes provided on a training session. He chose one bike, Tai chose the other. 

28 minutes ago, IanBrannan said:

The interview I heard with Scott he said that some riders don't fancy it as it's very grippy and you have to be very brave... and he's not riding in the Britsh Final at Belle Vue, widely regarded as the best track in this country and one of the best in the world, citing part of the reason that he doesn't "get on" with the track... like you say it's horses for courses I suppose. Sheffield, Peterborough, King's Lynn, Scunthorpe and Ipswich have very similar heavy clay based surfaces.

Riders have always "not fancied" tracks through the years, Exeter being a prime example. Like @Ben91 said Adam Roynon's accident could have happened anywhere and by all accounts wasn't down to track conditions.

To be fair Roynon's record around Lynn ain't that bad

Rider's Performance at Track

Adam Roynon at King's Lynn

No.

Wed Jul 22nd 2015
+1
(Guest)

Wed May 16th 2012

Wed Jul 4th 2012

Wed Oct 24th 2012

Wed May 26th 2010
+2

Tue Aug 10th 2010
+1

Wed Aug 18th 2010

Wed Sep 1st 2010
+1

Wed Sep 8th 2010
+1

Fri Sep 17th 2010
+2

Fri Sep 24th 2010
King's Lynn v Newport (PL) (Aban)

Wed Oct 6th 2010
+2

Wed Oct 13th 2010

Wed Oct 20th 2010
+2

Edited by iainb

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

The interview I heard with Scott he said that some riders don't fancy it as it's very grippy and you have to be very brave... and he's not riding in the Britsh Final at Belle Vue, widely regarded as the best track in this country and one of the best in the world, citing part of the reason that he doesn't "get on" with the track... like you say it's horses for courses I suppose. Sheffield, Peterborough, King's Lynn, Scunthorpe and Ipswich have very similar heavy clay based surfaces.

Riders have always "not fancied" tracks through the years, Exeter being a prime example. Like @Ben91 said Adam Roynon's accident could have happened anywhere and by all accounts wasn't down to track conditions.

Scott used to be fantastic at Kings Lynn too, I remember a World Cup meeting there and he was terrific . I would always respect what he says. 

7 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Scott used to be fantastic at Kings Lynn too, I remember a World Cup meeting there and he was terrific . I would always respect what he says. 

Until recently he was, like I said I think he was commenting more on why some "other" riders won't go to Lynn

Scott Nicholls at King's Lynn

No.

Thu Apr 13th 2023

(Guest)

Thu Apr 21st 2022
+1

Mon May 30th 2022

Thu Sep 1st 2022
+1

Thu Jul 1st 2021
+1

Mon Jul 5th 2021
+1
(Guest)
Thu Aug 12th 2021
+1

Thu Jul 25th 2019

Mon Aug 19th 2019
+2

Mon Jun 18th 2018
+1

Wed May 24th 2017

Wed Sep 13th 2017

Thu Mar 31st 2016
+1

Thu Jun 30th 2016

Wed Apr 8th 2015

Wed Jul 22nd 2015
+1

Wed Sep 9th 2015

(Guest)

Wed Apr 16th 2014
+1

Wed May 14th 2014
+2
(Guest)
Wed Jun 18th 2014
+1

Tue Sep 16th 2014
+3
(Guest)
Mon Sep 29th 2014
+1
(Guest)

Wed Apr 10th 2013
+1

Wed Jun 12th 2013

(Guest)
Wed Aug 21st 2013

Mon Sep 17th 2012
+1

Wed Apr 6th 2011

Wed Aug 3rd 2011

Wed Sep 7th 2011
+1
(Guest)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mimmo said:

Although I'm not an Ipswich fan, I have to admit that Doyle and Sayfutdinov are on a different planet to any other rider in the UK. Simply outstanding. 

except that time brady Kurtz went to their planet.:t:

May sound harsh but I never considered Lynn as one of the UKs best race tracks in nearly 25 years following the sport. 

Always was well prepared though and they usually had a very competitive team, in the EL and then PL when they dropped down. So its quite sad to see them how they are now. 

Peterborough on the other hand has been one of the Uks best tracks for years . 

out of interest, who was the money man at Lynn when they had Adams and Rickardsson there? Or Crump and Nicki P?

34 minutes ago, DazS said:

except that time brady Kurtz went to their planet.:t:

Over the course of the season Mimmo is right,they are on a different planet especially Sayfutdinov.But on occasions certain riders can have their day also.Sayfutdinov's average speaks for itself really.

• Like 1