British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Oxford 9/8/23 Championship

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I would say its talent spotting when a club (eg Poole) pays for the rider to come over from Oz in the first place and then loans him out (eg IOW etc) to gain experience!  Its happened many times.

I recall a press release when Jim holder was with iow to the contrary that they were assets but it was 15 years ago so is a hazy recollection at best. Fair enough can claim those ones but I highly doubt was such an agreement with Lynn about Darcy :rofl:

20 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

It's hardly "talent spotting" when another club takes the plunge on a rider and once successful you sign them then is it? Especially in those days when Aussies came in on a 9 then a 7

I think Poole spotted them but shared the cost of bringing them over with IOW and then rode for IOW first for a season or 2 before moving them up to Poole. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I recall a press release when Jim holder was with iow to the contrary that they were assets but it was 15 years ago so is a hazy recollection at best. Fair enough can claim those ones but I highly doubt was such an agreement with Lynn about Darcy :rofl:

Darcy came cos Chris was here otherwise he was going to Peterborough I believe. 

50 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

If only Poole Speedway owned their own stadium..........................

I wonder why he didn't but that and bought the Shateau instead

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I think Poole spotted them but shared the cost of bringing them over with IOW and then rode for IOW first for a season or 2 before moving them up to Poole. 

Explains why IOW had more success with their Aussie's than we did during the same period!! They had Chris holder, we had harley Norwood lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

No agreement then for Darcy which is why Poole coughed up £30k for his signature!

Since Darcy's accident and recuperation he is now a Promoter in Oz and running regular training schools with Watty and Boycie for the youngsters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

I wonder why he didn't but that and bought the Shateau instead

It wasn't for sale!! and the incumbant has a long(ish) lease.

Poole talent spotted Nathan Ablitt a good upcoming British talent and kept with him all last season despite his lack of ability at Championship level with it being his debut season.

They gave the kid an amazing opportunity and he is now starting to benefit from the experience. He will no doubt be back in Pirates colours again some day soon :t:

Edited by lbw

Also other riders recommend as well. King recommended Hume and Klindt and Bjarne recommended Freddie Jakobsen. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

It wasn't for sale!! and the incumbant has a long(ish) lease.

Plus the château will be a lot cheaper.

1 hour ago, Sir Sidney said:

It wasn't just the number of passes. I think you can have good racing without passes if the racing is close - but mostly it was just strung out with no interest at all. It's the third time I have been to Poole this year and it has been similar each time. Obviously the locals enjoy winning and that's fair enough, but as a neutral I hope for more

Heat 8 Rowe passed Heeps up

the inside of bend four. 

43 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Plus the château will be a lot cheaper.

And he didnt buy it on his own

Edited by poole keith
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

So why do Poole attract big crowds week in week out, must have been more people in the pits last night than some track actual attendance 

Well that’s the attitude why many people dislike Poole fans uk speedway is in the pits but as long as Poole are ok then it’s all good. Give it a couple of years when you’re racing bv, Redcar and Sheffield on repeat see how much you enjoy it then. 

40 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Well that’s the attitude why many people dislike Poole fans uk speedway is in the pits but as long as Poole are ok then it’s all good. Give it a couple of years when you’re racing bv, Redcar and Sheffield on repeat see how much you enjoy it then. 

I'd be surprised if Poole were one of the last teams around. 

15 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I'd be surprised if Poole were one of the last teams around. 

Is wimborne road used for anything else?

I know they've said after 2024 they don't know where they'll be, surely with the Fords backing they could buy land and build their own stadium?