British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Oxford 9/8/23 Championship

10 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Is wimborne road used for anything else?

I know they've said after 2024 they don't know where they'll be, surely with the Fords backing they could buy land and build their own stadium?

Why would any businessman want to do that with the sport in its current state ?

it would take years of good crowds to even come near getting your investment back , assuming you could actually find anywhere suitable to build such a facility in or even near Poole.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

I know they've said after 2024 they don't know where they'll be, surely with the Fords backing they could buy land and build their own stadium?

Can only think the comment is a joke( and I'm not from Poole or a fan) , if not I bet the Ford's would like to have the money you think they have. Can you imagine land and planning becoming available/viable in the Poole area as well. ( posted exactly the same time as FortyThirtyEight but exactly the same thought) .

Edited by gazzac

43 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Land is painfully expensive, before you even build anything. Especially if there’s any possibility houses could be built on the land.

This topic seems to have moved away from "we like (or don't like!) Poole, but I've been reading through it with interest.

My opinion is that although there is a certain amount of envy over Poole's lengthy success, one of the reasons why the club is unpopular is the way that some of their supporters (not all of them of course, but a vocal minority) instantly over-react to any form of criticism whether it be about their track, their management or their team manager etc. 

In many ways, Poole are a great example to other clubs, and I certainly don't begrudge them their success which is obviously good for Poole fans, although I feel it isn't good for the sport overall, to have one team dominating all the competitions year after year.

Perhaps if some of the more touchy Poole fans would let the criticism ride over them, and not feel that they must reply to it, things would settle a bit?

Edited by brianbuck
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Why would any businessman want to do that with the sport in its current state ?

it would take years of good crowds to even come near getting your investment back , assuming you could actually find anywhere suitable to build such a facility in or even near Poole.

Once speedway goes under, you sell on the land for no doubt more than you paid for it, leaving just the costs of planning/building the stadium (which I know aren’t cheap)

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Heat 8 Rowe passed Heeps up

the inside of bend four. 

I didn't say there was no passing. Even you said the racing wasn't great last night

My opinion but, sometimes, passing in every race isn’t always all that makes a meeting.

To a newbie it means a lot to see riders going wheel to wheel and swapping positions.. or simply overtaking. That is Speedway in its most simplistic essence and, yes we all love that. In reality, these days, it is a little rarer and, so, is much appreciated when it happens…

However, I like to think there are many more layers to a meeting. For those of us that appreciate the finer points, there is as much excitement on a close scoreline where heat by heat the match can hang on the result of the next four laps.
Last night the Pirates were chasing the bonus point and it was tense to see them real in the 14 point advantage and then to see it snap back and forth once it became within two points!

And, most importantly, the bit that the uninitiated will never see (obviously) is when a lesser rated rider goes on a giant killing expedition such as Anders Rowe leading Sam Masters for 4 laps which kept people on the edge of their seat for the whole of heat 11 .. a huge ovation for his effort adding to the atmosphere but likely to go over the heads of a newbie.

Similar for Ben Cook seeing off Sam (on a tactical) and Scott for three and a half laps before his engine gave way in heat nine. High drama.

The final result (for the bonus point) went to a last heat decider so despite a pretty dominant Pirates’ performance which might otherwise have been regarded ‘one-sided’ there was much to entertain and, even though my team lost out in the last one, I, for one, was entertained.

”yes”, I’d love to see some wheel to wheel action but my heart rate never dropped much throughout!…..

it’s a little bit like that brilliant TV series you tell your friends to watch…. Until they get comfortable with the various characters, they probably don’t get what you see in it …..at first?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brianbuck said:

This topic seems to have moved away from "we like (or don't like!) Poole, but I've been reading through it with interest.

My opinion is that although there is a certain amount of envy over Poole's lengthy success, one of the reasons why the club is unpopular is the way that some of their supporters (not all of them of course, but a vocal minority) instantly over-react to any form of criticism whether it be about their track, their management or their team manager etc. 

In many ways, Poole are a great example to other clubs, and I certainly don't begrudge them their success which is obviously good for Poole fans, although I feel it isn't good for the sport overall, to have one team dominating all the competitions year after year.

Perhaps if some of the more touchy Poole fans would let the criticism ride over them, and not feel that they must reply to it, things would settle a bit?

I agree, Poole's success over many seasons & either league is largely down to Mr Ford & his ability to treat his riders like employees & not mates. I*f they are not returning the scores he would like & the team are suffering he's not slow in making a change & most of the time he makes a sound choice. Maybe if more clubs adopted a simular strategy they may find the success that Poole have had for so long 

3 minutes ago, Technik said:

I agree, Poole's success over many seasons & either league is largely down to Mr Ford & his ability to treat his riders like employees & not mates. I*f they are not returning the scores he would like & the team are suffering he's not slow in making a change & most of the time he makes a sound choice. Maybe if more clubs adopted a simular strategy they may find the success that Poole have had for so long 

Unless your name is Brady Kurtz and then you get numerous chances. 

57 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Unless your name is Brady Kurtz and then you get numerous chances. 

...and look how well he's doing now!!!

15 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

...and look how well he's doing now!!!

Tbf I don't really know. Don't really look into BV much. I just remember the 2-4 points he used to get as a no1 and still was in H13, used to wind me right up haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Tbf I don't really know. Don't really look into BV much. I just remember the 2-4 points he used to get as a no1 and still was in H13, used to wind me right up haha. 

Might have to next year .if we end up with one league !!!

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

He's BV number 1 and Captain with an 8+ average.

12 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Scored between 2 & 4, 4 times in his whole career... unless you mean away from home or are getting him mixed up with Todd Kurtz? :D

Brady Kurtz at Poole

No.

Thu Apr 11th 2019
+1

Fri Apr 19th 2019
+1

Thu May 2nd 2019

Mon Jun 17th 2019
+2

Thu Jun 27th 2019

Thu Aug 1st 2019

Mon Aug 19th 2019