British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, montie said:

why foolish? id say great to see a club investing in the future

hope the kid hits the ground running too,,,Well done Oxford!

Because he's only 16 with a 7.00 NL average. I'm not saying don't sign him, but certainly not pay a fee like that. There are other ways to invest in the future - like running a NL team.

It he turns out as good as many expect then he could leave GB like Lambert / Woffinden, so that money has maybe bought them a league title (is it worth it?) Or if they are lucky, he'll be like Bewley & stay here, but Oxford would need to be in the top league to benefit from it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Because he's only 16 with a 7.00 NL average. I'm not saying don't sign him, but certainly not pay a fee like that. There are other ways to invest in the future - like running a NL team.

It he turns out as good as many expect then he could leave GB like Lambert / Woffinden, so that money has maybe bought them a league title (is it worth it?) Or if they are lucky, he'll be like Bewley & stay here, but Oxford would need to be in the top league to benefit from it.

Having read Ashton's Facebook page, the big question is:

Did he get a microwave?

45 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

as far as im aware Oxford do run an NL team

If Oxford have that money then what the problem,its their money to spend on what ever and who ever they want

just like my Neighbour buying a Bentley and a 10k boob job for his wife,his cash his choice

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, montie said:

as far as im aware Oxford do run an NL team

If Oxford have that money then what the problem,its their money to spend on what ever and who ever they want

just like my Neighbour buying a Bentley and a 10k boob job for his wife,his cash his choice

What colour’s the Bentley!!

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

What colour’s the Bentley!!

And what size are her fun bags:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Why don't people simply read Ashton's statement?

Can anyone post it on here for those of us not using that hell hole of a site?

2 hours ago, DJC said:

Can anyone post it on here for those of us not using that hell hole of a site?

Statement below…

Now the news is out and the dust has settled slightly I just want to say how excited I am to be joining the Oxford Cheetahs and back with the guy who I spent most of my early days with last year Peter Schroeck training me the ropes. He believed in me this time last year when I turned 15 and put me in my first speedway race with the Charges. A year on and we are back together but this time with me signing as an asset to Oxford! I know the plan to bring me in for this year are future plans for the years to come but I will give everything for the remainder of this season to try and prove my worth. This is a major move for me with so many other offers I had from championship and premiership teams but I am 100 percent confident I have made the right decision for now and the future! 

My first meeting is this Friday at Oxford v Plymouth

Big thanks to Peter & Jamie for giving me this opportunity

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Statement below…

Now the news is out and the dust has settled slightly I just want to say how excited I am to be joining the Oxford Cheetahs and back with the guy who I spent most of my early days with last year Peter Schroeck training me the ropes. He believed in me this time last year when I turned 15 and put me in my first speedway race with the Charges. A year on and we are back together but this time with me signing as an asset to Oxford! I know the plan to bring me in for this year are future plans for the years to come but I will give everything for the remainder of this season to try and prove my worth. This is a major move for me with so many other offers I had from championship and premiership teams but I am 100 percent confident I have made the right decision for now and the future! 

My first meeting is this Friday at Oxford v Plymouth

Big thanks to Peter & Jamie for giving me this opportunity

Thank you.

The PL offer is interesting. Wonder if that was Sheffield after the Gilkes injury?

Only Ipswich would probably be looking to change RS otherwise but don't see Louis having heard of him if he hadn't heard of most of the SGP2 field!

• Haha 2

Like I've said before time to leave the kid alone let him be what he turns out to be. Fair play to Oxford signed great potential and I'm sure fees mentioned as usual will be highly exaggerated. Looking forward to seeing him back at ashfield for the cheetahs meeting, should be a cracker 

If there is still 2 leagues next Yr & Oxford go up would you please come to glasgow ashton if we're in 2nd tier ..heh heh 

The hype around Boughen seems huge compared to the likes of Kemp and Palin who had better first seasons in the NL in the not too distant past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barabas said:

If there is still 2 leagues next Yr & Oxford go up would you please come to glasgow ashton if we're in 2nd tier ..heh heh 

Might only be two leagues instead of three ...where that would leave Worky?

14 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

The hype around Boughen seems huge compared to the likes of Kemp and Palin who had better first seasons in the NL in the not too distant past.

Maybe because he's come from nowhere? The others were strong in under age events before they turned 15, Boughen has been startling, considering his lack of experience (similar to Bewley)

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Might only be two leagues instead of three ...where that would leave Worky?

Well I don't think they would ever consider being in the top league at this stage, but I suppose it would depend on the planned strength of the lower league. If there was more emphasis on a development type league rather than a Championship League I would think they would be in it. With such an investment in Worky I can't see it being just a training track, its too good for that.

2 minutes ago, 1Tsunami said:

Well I don't think they would ever consider being in the top league at this stage, but I suppose it would depend on the planned strength of the lower league. If there was more emphasis on a development type league rather than a Championship League I would think they would be in it. With such an investment in Worky I can't see it being just a training track, its too good for that.

Never even entered my head top League, costs would have to come down even to enter Championship, with the way clubs are now in the NDL things do not look good.