British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, HGould said:

A lot of conjecture and guesswork on here - especially about fees.

It was definitely suggested in an article last winter in the Speedway Star that AB was being mentored by Lewi Kerr and if so, probably getting some expert bike set up help from Steve Norman. 

That's a far bigger reason I think why he's chosen Oxford as he'll also know Peter Shroeck well too and not a long haul trip for him either.

As for Poland - for god sake give the kid a break, at the moment he's promising and clearly talented but not yet the second coming of the Messiah!

I have heard Zmarzlik is retiring now this lad will be riding full time...

"No point carrying on" said Bartek...;)

Just let the kid ride and find his level...

Seems to be a bit of jealousy on here around his signing...

Surprise. Surprise...:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

As others have alluded we don’t know the final fee but it is substantial amount for a 16yr olds signature and Oxford have done well.

Previous to this all indications were that Ashton was not swayed by money as family already invested significantly in his Speedway career paying for  top equipment, personal 1-1 sessions with Speedway legends and current GP riders maybe they feel now is the time to try and get some return on that investment 

With regards to Poland I have been told that Wrocław are keen to strengthen their U24 team up and have dangled the same carrot that was given to Dan Bewley sign for us get Unlimited practice and help with equipment with the chance to ride ExtraLiga if he beats their juniors if not he will be loaned out to a lower league team 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Maybe because he's come from nowhere? The others were strong in under age events before they turned 15, Boughen has been startling, considering his lack of experience (similar to Bewley)

That’s fair. I did wonder if there was an underlying reason. Let’s hope he can emulate Dan in the future too. 

15 minutes ago, flagrag said:

With regards to Poland I have been told that Wrocław are keen to strengthen their U24 team up and have dangled the same carrot that was given to Dan Bewley sign for us get Unlimited practice and help with equipment with the chance to ride ExtraLiga if he beats their juniors if not he will be loaned out to a lower league team 

So they should - lost 63-27  yesterday. [And would join Luke Killeen too]. Finished bottom with one win and 15 defeats

1 hour ago, flagrag said:

As others have alluded we don’t know the final fee but it is substantial amount for a 16yr olds signature and Oxford have done well.

Previous to this all indications were that Ashton was not swayed by money as family already invested significantly in his Speedway career paying for  top equipment, personal 1-1 sessions with Speedway legends and current GP riders maybe they feel now is the time to try and get some return on that investment 

I would not think there are many if any Polish Junior U16 riders in the Ekstraliga which is why the U24 League was set up. He could be loaned out to Liga 1 or 2 teams though.

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I would not think there are many if any Polish Junior U16 riders in the Ekstraliga which is why the U24 League was set up. He could be loaned out to Liga 1 or 2 teams though.

No Poles, but one Ukrainian.- Parnitsky

Four 17 year olds: Paluch, Mencel, Kupiciec and Affelt.

• Thanks 2

Ashton has been included, as the Reserve, in the GB U19 Pairs squad in Pardubice, along with Sam Hagon and Joe Thompson.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Ashton has been included, as the Reserve, in the GB U19 Pairs squad in Pardubice, along with Sam Hagon and Joe Thompson.

When is it?

Who gets priority on the 8th Sept fixture clash? Oxford at Glasgow whilst Leicester Cubs are at Belle Vue. Big fixtures for both teams......  

15 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Who gets priority on the 8th Sept fixture clash? Oxford at Glasgow whilst Leicester Cubs are at Belle Vue. Big fixtures for both teams......  

Will be Oxford. It is always the Champ team that takes priority

• Like 2

He's probably not finished growing yet. Maybe need to wait till he's 18 before knowing that he's small/light enough to possibly become world class, because those seem to be prerequisites these days

45 minutes ago, Big Al said:

He's probably not finished growing yet. Maybe need to wait till he's 18 before knowing that he's small/light enough to possibly become world class, because those seem to be prerequisites these days

Tony Rickardsson wasn't particularly small or light but I get what you are saying. He's a natural speedway rider but being small/light is no use without experience, confidence and maturity. If he acquires all four he will be a very good rider in a few years time 

3 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

Tony Rickardsson wasn't particularly small or light but I get what you are saying. He's a natural speedway rider but being small/light is no use without experience, confidence and maturity. If he acquires all four he will be a very good rider in a few years time 

Watched him at the youths at Glasgow boy has it very stylish and in control.

He will progress at his own pace but a talent like him at just turned 16 only comes along so often , good luck to the kid.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Imagine Oxford planned a home Champ match the same day as the Chargers were at Leicester in the NL play-off, to stop Boughen racing against them lol!