British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Imagine Oxford planned a home Champ match the same day as the Chargers were at Leicester in the NL play-off, to stop Boughen racing against them lol!

But that would mean the Chargers riding without Jenkins and Atkins so unlikey in the extreme

• Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 8:36 AM, arnieg said:

But that would mean the Chargers riding without Jenkins and Atkins so unlikey in the extreme

Good point, when Leicester meet another NL club then lol!

I know it's not likely, but highlights the issue of Champ clubs getting priority, Boughen has ridden for Leicester all year, but once he signed for Oxford they automatically get priority

41 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Good point, when Leicester meet another NL club then lol!

I know it's not likely, but highlights the issue of Champ clubs getting priority, Boughen has ridden for Leicester all year, but once he signed for Oxford they automatically get priority

It isnt new.  Jacob Hook had to miss Edinburgh Academy match after he moved to Berwick.

• Like 1

I've seen this Boughen kid a couple of times in the last few days... and I can't really see what all the fuss is about to be honest

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've seen this Boughen kid a couple of times in the last few days... and I can't really see what all the fuss is about to be honest

I think those comparing with Bewley and Lambert at same age are doing the kid a massive disservice. 

He's more a Kemp, Brennan, Flint, comparison at the moment. 

He may be as good as them now in 3 years or he may smash the ceiling they haven't yet smashed. 

Time will tell. 

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

Have you seen a kid that literally only turned 16 last week trying to compete with the best riders in this country? He went from NDL racing to competing in the Premiership practically overnight. Give him a break (and some time).

P.S: He's also been struggling with bike issues, no?

30 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Have you seen a kid that literally only turned 16 last week trying to compete with the best riders in this country? He went from NDL racing to competing in the Premiership practically overnight. Give him a break (and some time).

P.S: He's also been struggling with bike issues, no?

I've seen riders like him come and unfortunately go through the years. I'm not for one minute suggesting it's his fault but there does seem to be a lot of hype about this kid from certain quarters, he's even got his own thread on this Forum! Not sure why that's all

The only 16 year old I've ever seen come into the sport and instantly start scoring points was Joe Screen and that was in the top league too!

Edited by iainb

35 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've seen riders like him come and unfortunately go through the years. I'm not for one minute suggesting it's his fault but there does seem to be a lot of hype about this kid from certain quarters, he's even got his own thread on this Forum! Not sure why that's all

The only 16 year old I've ever seen come into the sport and instantly start scoring points was Joe Screen and that was in the top league too!

Like yourself I have seen plenty 15/16 year old wonders come and go.I wish him well and have no doubt he is a talent.Micheal Lee was the best 15 year old I had ever seen who along with PC and Loram were instant successes at a high level.By coincidence they all went on to be World Champs.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

I think those comparing with Bewley and Lambert at same age are doing the kid a massive disservice. 

He's more a Kemp, Brennan, Flint, comparison at the moment. 

He may be as good as them now in 3 years or he may smash the ceiling they haven't yet smashed. 

Time will tell. 

Is that a comparison of Flint, Kemp and Brennan now or when they were at Boughen's age? 

If now, Brennan and Flint are way clear of Kemp.

15 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Like yourself I have seen plenty 15/16 year old wonders come and go.I wish him well and have no doubt he is a talent.Micheal Lee was the best 15 year old I had ever seen who along with PC and Loram were instant successes at a high level.By coincidence they all went on to be World Champs.

I remember Mark Loram & Sean Wilson being the big cheeses in the old National junior League or whatever it was called, one went on to become World Champion the other a pretty decent 2nd string... a good junior does not automatically mean world beater

1 minute ago, iainb said:

I remember Mark Loram & Sean Wilson being the big cheeses in the old National junior League or whatever it was called, one went on to become World Champion the other a pretty decent 2nd string... a good junior does not automatically mean world beater

Bang on, remember Barrie Evans as a 15 year old was meant to be the real deal. Look how that turned out!

• Haha 1

I think everyone needs to remember, he has only just turned 16, and has only been riding for about a year now. How long has Kemp, Brennan, Flint been riding? He also beat Flint on his debut for Sheffield, on a track I believe he had never ridden before. 

18 minutes ago, therefused said:

I think everyone needs to remember, he has only just turned 16, and has only been riding for about a year now. How long has Kemp, Brennan, Flint been riding? He also beat Flint on his debut for Sheffield, on a track I believe he had never ridden before. 

We are talking about young riders though,he’s been on  a motorcycle from a young age as had many of the others.

Edited by Fromafar

51 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Is that a comparison of Flint, Kemp and Brennan now or when they were at Boughen's age? 

If now, Brennan and Flint are way clear of Kemp.

When they were 16 in general comparison 

Leon was outstanding at 15 for Brummies. 

That said Leon and Tom I agree well ahead now but neither has kicked on YET in PL 

Didn't Lewis Bridger go straight into elite league as was and do ok from the get go? Memories s bit hazy but was it rye house started a season with Tai and Kennet or auty as 16 year olds in championship? Both ended with 8 point plus averages and look at difference in careers.

As I've said several times I don't think the fanfare is necessary and the kid should be allowed to develop how he develops. Hope he is the 2nd coming but equally it's been said about so many riders before.

• Like 1