British Speedway Forum

The lad just needs to ride his bike as much as possible. Whether that's PL, CL or NL. The more experience he gets the better. 

A winter spent down under riding every day would certainly do him no harm. But at 16 that's a big step. 

• Like 3

Hopefully the lad and his family/support system are as far away from this place and speedway social media as possible. That’s the first piece of advice for any rider in fairness. 

Judging solely on updates comments his five points last night were more impressive than his seven the meeting previous. 

12 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Hopefully the lad and his family/support system are as far away from this place and speedway social media as possible. That’s the first piece of advice for any rider in fairness. 

Judging solely on updates comments his five points last night were more impressive than his seven the meeting previous. 

By accounts he looks good on a bike. Looking forward to seeing him ride. 

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

He has full support at Oxford, Peter, Jamie obviously have confidence in him and Peter and Lewis have helped him learn the craft of speedway also Jamie is a champion of the British youth system. I understand there was a lot of interest in signing him but he wanted to be at Oxford with the people and set up around him he already has. He can learn a lot from Sam, Scott, Lewis and the boys, who genuinely want to see the younger lads making it in the sport. Hence me saying elsewhere that if you have the chance to ride with the top boys the experience is worth it. He has a good attitude, not putting too much pressure on himself and getting the most out of racing that he can. 

He is a young kid, last night he worked for every point and in at least one heat him dropping points wasn’t entirely his fault.

For some people to judge a rider on scores alone does not tell you what a rider is like ion track for example it doesn’t reflect the riders ability to block opposition, team ride, attitude on track etc.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Debbi said:

He has full support at Oxford, Peter, Jamie obviously have confidence in him and Peter and Lewis have helped him learn the craft of speedway also Jamie is a champion of the British youth system. I understand there was a lot of interest in signing him but he wanted to be at Oxford with the people and set up around him he already has. He can learn a lot from Sam, Scott, Lewis and the boys, who genuinely want to see the younger lads making it in the sport. Hence me saying elsewhere that if you have the chance to ride with the top boys the experience is worth it. He has a good attitude, not putting too much pressure on himself and getting the most out of racing that he can. 

He is a young kid, last night he worked for every point and in at least one heat him dropping points wasn’t entirely his fault.

For some people to judge a rider on scores alone does not tell you what a rider is like ion track for example it doesn’t reflect the riders ability to block opposition, team ride, attitude on track etc.

If I was in Ashton’s shoes the person I’d want to be around as much as possible is Scott Nicholls for sure. He’s been there, done it, got the T-shirt and will know the pitfalls someone can fall into. 

There’s always more than meets the eye in terms of points scored solely. Judging by how he’s been going Ashton is doing great.

Comparison is the biggest thief of joy as they say. He’s not Tai Woffinden, Lewis Bridger, Dan Bewley, Danny King or Drew Kemp etc. he’s his own person and will find his own path. Hopefully that will lead him to the top of the sport. 

It’s why I’m adamant that this place (or speedway socials) is the worst place for a rider or their inner circle to be. One negative comment will be more resounding that a hundred positive ones. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

The lad just needs to ride his bike as much as possible. Whether that's PL, CL or NL. The more experience he gets the better

A winter spent down under riding every day would certainly do him no harm. But at 16 that's a big step. 

Absolutely agree. I also think he doesn't need shielding from harder meetings such as our Premiership or Poland next year, we've been guilty of doing that in the past with our promising youngsters. These next two or three years will be vital in his development and riding in difficult races will pull him along.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Really classy interview on BSN, definitely think he'll need to get some PR lessons.

Would agree.

hes only just turned 16 for fs, and 5 mins earlier just been stuffed in fence. 

7 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Really classy interview on BSN, definitely think he'll need to get some PR lessons.

GP riders swear if they get a camera shoved in their face after something happens that they’re not happy with. 

No speedway rider needs PR lessons, not enough people care. 

• Like 2

He can gate, can’t he?

As I said before, I‘ve saw Dan Bewley score four last places on the same track at 16 years-old and at the same age, Boughen is significantly more comfortable on the bike, both in technique and speed.

With experience, he’ll have a greater presence in first and second bends, but in terms of keeping-up with the pace of riders far more experience than him, there’s zero issue.

I haven’t saw his interview on BSN, but the world will continue despite a young man saying a bad word.

• Like 1

Can't believe people moaning sbout a swear word.

Come and work on some the sites I work on that'll give you something yo moan about.

I don't particularly like it but most youngsters male or female swear nowadays.