British Speedway Forum
iainb

Drugs - Just Say No!

I find it really strange that the identical "substances" were found in 2 individuals samples. I also think the bans should be reworded to be "seasons" rather than years so that there is no benefit gained by being banned outside of the racing window. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Boxall got 4 years (still seems light for a 2nd offence), Richie somehow gets off with 9 months and will be welcomed back with open arms just like Boxall was after a few lairy amateur meetings. Fines and bans aside a bigger punishment would be sticking two points on their averages for each league to make them a much tougher prospect to sign in the future, potentially actual average plus two for the next two seasons to avoid the inevitable manipulation. 

Richie is one of the Team GB boys though.

Following the tests that have been failed by riders in recent seasons I feel the time has come for EVERY rider to pee in a pot and be tested at EVERY meeting. Before anyone starts talking about the costs of testing I say the costs does not come into it, the health and safety of every other rider, spectator and official far out weighs any cost involved. The cost of a test is nothing compared to the value of someone's life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, tonyd said:

Following the tests that have been failed by riders in recent seasons I feel the time has come for EVERY rider to pee in a pot and be tested at EVERY meeting. Before anyone starts talking about the costs of testing I say the costs does not come into it, the health and safety of every other rider, spectator and official far out weighs any cost involved. The cost of a test is nothing compared to the value of someone's life.

Unfortunately costs do come into it. How would you propose it be paid for? A levy on every ticket to fund it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

Unfortunately costs do come into it. How would you propose it be paid for? A levy on every ticket to fund it? 

How about take a small percent out of riders earnings to cover the cost? If they can afford cocaine, I'm sure they can afford the test... 

Maybe its time to call Zamo from Grange Hill in. Maybe the riders could  get together and make a remake of his song.

10 minutes ago, The Dog said:

How about take a small percent out of riders earnings to cover the cost? If they can afford cocaine, I'm sure they can afford the test... 

So your proposal is that all riders pay for their own  drugs test at all meetings. The reserves and similar lower end earners are going to love that suggestion, especially  those that cant afford or do drugs! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyd said:

Having multiple testers at every single meeting staged in the UK would be a huge commitment by the sport. This would be administered by a 3rd party agency as presumably it is now but the costs would be eye watering. You could attempt to place a levy on riders contracts but I'm not sure that would stand up, is there any other professional sport that requires it's participants to pay for testing at every event?

13 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

So your proposal is that all riders pay for their own  drugs test at all meetings. The reserves and similar lower end earners are going to love that suggestion, especially  those that cant afford or do drugs! 

Well I can't see the BSPA helping out, most of the clubs are bordering skint and it's only the riders that seem to do OK out of the sport, so why not? If I was a rider I'd be happy to pay a small amount to prove I was clean and to know others were too 

Given the increase in failed tests in recent times maybe testing has become more stringent than it previously was around the tracks. 

With the dangerous nature inherent in the sport I’d say all drugs bans handed out in my memory have been too lenient. Zero tolerance is the answer. Fail a test and don’t bother coming back ever.  

2 hours ago, tonyd said:

Agree on that.Perhaps a small levy could be taken from riders points money to help fund it.

2 hours ago, Lord Skid said:

Don't think they need mass testing, they know exactly who they want to catch, that's why their success rate is so high.

They do seem to do "quite well" for such a relatively small amount of testing don't they? 

4 hours ago, Lord Skid said:

Don't think they need mass testing, they know exactly who they want to catch, that's why their success rate is so high.

not so sure about that there has been plenty riders over the years who have the signs of drug users or heavy drinkers and never been caught

Unfortunately the cost of a test is very high. I was told upto £500 per test. When the testers turn up they choose 4 riders at "random".  They know who they want to test but, it's just catching them.