British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Gordon Kennett

Reported by Jon Stevens in the Dons Den on Facebook:

"It is with great sadness that we hear of the news that Gordon William Kennett has sadly passed away at the age of 70. I am shocked and deeply saddened to hear this.

"Gordon was our last rider to Don the number 1 race jacket. As he was the last ever rider to take the chequered flag at Wimbledon stadium. World Final Placed 2nd at Empire stadium Wembley in 78’. He was also a true Gent, would always stop to say ‘hello’ and a chat.

"The Speedway family has lost a friend, a member of our the speedway family from the heydays of the sport. Our condolences to Barney Kennett Dave, Eddie and the whole of the Kennett family at this very difficult and sad time."

Sorry, I see this has already been posted elsewhere, but I thought Years Gone By was the most appropriate place for it.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:10 AM, norbold said:

Reported by Jon Stevens in the Dons Den on Facebook:

"It is with great sadness that we hear of the news that Gordon William Kennett has sadly passed away at the age of 70. I am shocked and deeply saddened to hear this.

"Gordon was our last rider to Don the number 1 race jacket. As he was the last ever rider to take the chequered flag at Wimbledon stadium. World Final Placed 2nd at Empire stadium Wembley in 78’. He was also a true Gent, would always stop to say ‘hello’ and a chat.

"The Speedway family has lost a friend, a member of our the speedway family from the heydays of the sport. Our condolences to Barney Kennett Dave, Eddie and the whole of the Kennett family at this very difficult and sad time."

Sorry, I see this has already been posted elsewhere, but I thought Years Gone By was the most appropriate place for it.

Puts everything into perspective Norbold it really does Gordon was one of the fittest riders i ever saw ride God bless him RIP Gordon.

• Like 3

Very sad, I was privileged to be able to attend the 78 World final and saw Gordon finish runner-up. A great rider and great guy. It's a young age to die at -70 is not old these days. I wonder whether his death was due to complications from diabetes. I recall he used to have to inject insulin during his riding career., but it sure didn't hold him back. R.I.P. Gordon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Very sad, I was privileged to be able to attend the 78 World final and saw Gordon finish runner-up. A great rider and great guy. It's a young age to die at -70 is not old these days. I wonder whether his death was due to complications from diabetes. I recall he used to have to inject insulin during his riding career., but it sure didn't hold him back. R.I.P. Gordon

That's correct...I think that it was 1980 when he realised he was tiring very quickly and drinking lots of water. He used to eat a Mars bar before meetings if I recall?

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

That's correct...I think that it was 1980 when he realised he was tiring very quickly and drinking lots of water. He used to eat a Mars bar before meetings if I recall?

I knew he was a diabetic, but I just checked, and he was Type 1. Type 2 is far more common, is much easier to control, and even cure (by diet).  Type 1 is far more serious, and infinitely more unpredictable.

That is what my wife has, and it's an absolute nightmare. It's also known as "brittle diabetes", and the big problem is the sudden - and very extreme - drops in blood sugar. That's why they need to have chocolate/high sugar sweets, and fruit juice or regular coke at the ready.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how Barney and Dave Kennett are doing these days .I think they were both older than Gordon.

On 9/13/2023 at 10:39 PM, chunky said:

I knew he was a diabetic, but I just checked, and he was Type 1. Type 2 is far more common, is much easier to control, and even cure (by diet).  Type 1 is far more serious, and infinitely more unpredictable.

That is what my wife has, and it's an absolute nightmare. It's also known as "brittle diabetes", and the big problem is the sudden - and very extreme - drops in blood sugar. That's why they need to have chocolate/high sugar sweets, and fruit juice or regular coke at the ready.

Chunky , I know what you mean, I am type 2 but my son ,aged 42, has Type 1,(developed at age 30) so he has to inject insulin like your wife. It really knocked him back on his heels when he was diagnosed. As you know type 1 is a totally different disease from type 2  .Please give your wife our love and support and tell her she is not alone.. Fortunately there is lots of research going on. My doctor said  the general medical view is that they will find a cure for Type 1 before Type 2. All we can do is hang in there and hope for the best. Since this is a speedway website  I guess I should get back on topic-so does anyone know of other riders with diabetes ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Does anyone know how Barney and Dave Kennett are doing these days .I think they were both older than Gordon.

Gordon was the middle one. I think that Barney (Brian) is still very active on social media and I found him very entertaining when interviewed on "The History of Canterbury Speedway" DVD. There is a fourth brother, Tracy, who never rode speedway.

Edited by steve roberts

6 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Barney (and his loud shirts) is at Oxford most weeks, he was there on Wednesday for Gordon's minute's applause.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Yeah, as others have said, Barney is VERY active still. He posts a helluva lot of new pics on Facebook, of himself with other old riders.

18 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Chunky , I know what you mean, I am type 2 but my son ,aged 42, has Type 1,(developed at age 30) so he has to inject insulin like your wife. It really knocked him back on his heels when he was diagnosed. As you know type 1 is a totally different disease from type 2  .Please give your wife our love and support and tell her she is not alone.. Fortunately there is lots of research going on. My doctor said  the general medical view is that they will find a cure for Type 1 before Type 2. All we can do is hang in there and hope for the best. Since this is a speedway website  I guess I should get back on topic-so does anyone know of other riders with diabetes ??

Thanks, Bob. Yeah, it would be interesting to know - particularly if they were Type 1. Physical activity is one of the main causes of the drops.

I did meet and talk to Barney once at Vojens when Eddie was riding in the U21s. Dave was also there, but was busy looking after Eddie. Found Barney to be a very nice guy and we talked about Gordon. Barney said he was very active, very fit. The way things go sometimes I guess

• Like 1