British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CTD26

National Development League Riders’ Championship @ Workington 24/09/23 2:00PM

9 hours ago, Technik said:

The line-up fails to inspire me 7 the future of the NDL is in serious trouble if it's not supported by the top table or the riders

Have to agree but its important that we support the riders who do turn up and of course the comets management to show them we want our sport to stay.as for belle vue and oxford sending reserves hope they explain why, not a poole fan but i hope godfrey gets stuffed !

• Like 2

The line up for tomorrow which should be the best of the NDLRC is left very watered down, for various reasons, but to me a lot of it stops at Mr Godfrey and the bspa doors !!! This apparently is a protected event, but 2 riders are at scummy, yes some are injured, one I think has returned to Aussie, and probably the others can't be arse@ but seems like the fans have got to put up with a 2nd class event. BUT can all the comets fans and traveling fans come down to support the promotion to show we love our speedway 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Neila said:

The line up for tomorrow which should be the best of the NDLRC is left very watered down, for various reasons, but to me a lot of it stops at Mr Godfrey and the bspa doors !!! This apparently is a protected event, but 2 riders are at scummy, yes some are injured, one I think has returned to Aussie, and probably the others can't be arse@ but seems like the fans have got to put up with a 2nd class event. BUT can all the comets fans and traveling fans come down to support the promotion to show we love our speedway 

That’s the state of play at every level in the Sport.They can’t even produce a fixture list now and most Teams have only half a seasons fixtures now.

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Even though its protected riders choose where they want to ride they are self employed. With riders choosing a team event they risk a ban from next national league meeting. However because there won't be a national league there's no risk. 

• Like 2

whats ticket prices for this think a adult is £15 but what about kids and family tickets 

might have both grandkids tomorrow 

personally id love it to poor down today and then stop to hopefully crate a track like last week that was awesome 

5 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Exactly.     The Workington promoters were at BSPA HQ this week where their application to enter the Championship for 2024 was accepted.

It was the only option open to them since Godfrey and pals have decided to scrap the NDL in 2024.  Godfrey doesn't like stand-alone clubs in the NDL in case they make money.  So the NDL has been scrapped to force Workington, Mildenhall (& Kent) to move up to the Championship or close.    Workington are moving up.  Mildenhall & Kent are gone.

It's quite laughable that Godfrey and co get the blame regularly.

The NDL currently has 3 types of riders, those who shouldn't be riding in it as they are (let's be honest) taking sweeties off the kids to top up their stash, the 2nd batch are those who the are using the League for what it was designed for (Development) the 3rd lot are the self entitled bridgade that believes when they turn 15 they should be paid (They then stay NDL for several years with no progression whilst getting paid for it thinking they don't need to get a job because they  are "Professional Speedway Riders)

Similarly no no 1 in the PL should be a No 1 in the CL just so they "get enough meetings to make it pay"

Only doubling up allowed should be British riders under 24

Fix the Sport, protect the British Youngsters who are progressing and stop the self entitlement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

whats ticket prices for this think a adult is £15 but what about kids and family tickets 

might have both grandkids tomorrow 

personally id love it to poor down today and then stop to hopefully crate a track like last week that was awesome 

I took my Granddaughter last time and it was £1 only for U16’s

3 minutes ago, Gr8scot said:

I took my Granddaughter last time and it was £1 only for U16’s

this is a bspa event though so could be anything 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MillenTheVillen said:

The NDL currently has 3 types of riders, those who shouldn't be riding in it as they are (let's be honest) taking sweeties off the kids to top up their stash, the 2nd batch are those who the are using the League for what it was designed for (Development) the 3rd lot are the self entitled bridgade that believes when they turn 15 they should be paid (They then stay NDL for several years with no progression whilst getting paid for it thinking they don't need to get a job because they  are "Professional Speedway Riders)

Similarly no no 1 in the PL should be a No 1 in the CL just so they "get enough meetings to make it pay"

Fix the Sport, protect the British Youngsters who are progressing and stop the self entitlement.

your right in a few things there 

few years back you couldnt ride in 3 leagues

but use conor baily as example 

young lad trying hard 

started the season only workington gave him a place 

now winning heats for redcar and belle vue 

is this a example of the ndl doing its job or the other leagues over looking a rider that wants to race whatever level 

• Like 1

Cash only
Admission Prices:
Adults: £15
Children: £2
Family: £32 (2 Adults + 3 Children)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scaramanga said:

your right in a few things there 

few years back you couldnt ride in 3 leagues

but use conor baily as example 

young lad trying hard 

started the season only workington gave him a place 

now winning heats for redcar and belle vue 

is this a example of the ndl doing its job or the other leagues over looking a rider that wants to race whatever level 

100% agree with you regarding Bailey, imo that's a consequence of doubling up and the current set up protecting the higher earners etc (who can't make it pay with riding in 1 UK leauge) and him being forced out the CL initially with Workington giving him the platform to progress.

It should be set up to protect him and the rest of the u24s (I'm sure I read in SS Poland are considering stopping foreign riders in certain Leagues again as they now have enough of their own), sadly our system panders to big names to come fix the sport at the detriment to our youngsters progressing.

3 hours ago, Neila said:

There were 8 Teams in 2023 that's 56 riders and everyone of them named in the starting 1-7s should have had the opportunity to Qualify for the Final (nobody's fussed when it comes around as they were n't the 1st choice the way it's set up with top 2 from each team)

This should be standard in all Leagues, bring back Qualifying and make it meaningful ... not just another self entitlement to an extra pay day because you top the averages at a certain date.

47 minutes ago, MillenTheVillen said:

This should be standard in all Leagues, bring back Qualifying and make it meaningful ... not just another self entitlement to an extra pay day because you top the averages at a certain date

Can't say  I disagree with that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MillenTheVillen said:

Lot of good points there.