British Speedway Forum
PotteringAround

New Club for 2024?

I think gaming plan was to shut stadium and blame covid but council forced them to finally stick to conditions gaming hate speedway Osborne has been trying since 2008 to get rid of it.All land has been sold off except land stadium sits on.

Edited by Toady
  • Like 1

Clarke Osborne is 71. Who ever inherits this lot might have a different objective.

7 hours ago, Toady said:

Swindon situation as far as I know is that planning deemed that before the final phase of house building on the former east car park 

Could start the new stadium had to be erected.

Gaming int had exchanged contracts with Taylor wimpey earlier in 2022 but unless they commenced rebuild then no houses could be built.I believe it was osbournes intension not to build the stadium but the council and the mp were making it difficult for him at last.

The announcement of the loss of speedway came in September with the spoof venture of swindon motorsports being announced.

The conditions for the new speedway stadium not only included acoustic barrier but monitoring equipment would have to be located adjacent to various properties at certain times and results fed back to council also the car parking situation during and after rebuild would be almost non existent and with a former park and ride location nearby now home to amazon vehicles  would not be of any use now.

With new housing that has been built since 2019 in close proximity both sides of lady lane the residents would no doubt be up in arms if 300 + cars were being parked randomly in there streets.

I believe therefore that Terry Russell and Co were encouraged to give up their tenure with little prospect of the stadium being completed in another two years(demolition of old stands etc) and all the potential restrictions as above allowing Osborne to conclude that speedway walked away.

To give the spoof company credibility therefore required him (Russell)to use his influence to get his licence put on ice.

To conclude I don’t think there is any chance of speedway returning to the Abbey in the near future imo

Well summed up 100 % correct on all that .  .. encouraged highlighted i like that .. I hear thou that the powers that  be have got wise to Russell and wont be allowing him to put his licence ion ice for much longer 

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Toady said:

Swindon situation as far as I know is that planning deemed that before the final phase of house building on the former east car park 

Could start the new stadium had to be erected.

Gaming int had exchanged contracts with Taylor wimpey earlier in 2022 but unless they commenced rebuild then no houses could be built.I believe it was osbournes intension not to build the stadium but the council and the mp were making it difficult for him at last.

The announcement of the loss of speedway came in September with the spoof venture of swindon motorsports being announced.

The conditions for the new speedway stadium not only included acoustic barrier but monitoring equipment would have to be located adjacent to various properties at certain times and results fed back to council also the car parking situation during and after rebuild would be almost non existent and with a former park and ride location nearby now home to amazon vehicles  would not be of any use now.

With new housing that has been built since 2019 in close proximity both sides of lady lane the residents would no doubt be up in arms if 300 + cars were being parked randomly in there streets.

I believe therefore that Terry Russell and Co were encouraged to give up their tenure with little prospect of the stadium being completed in another two years(demolition of old stands etc) and all the potential restrictions as above allowing Osborne to conclude that speedway walked away.

To give the spoof company credibility therefore required him (Russell)to use his influence to get his licence put on ice.

To conclude I don’t think there is any chance of speedway returning to the Abbey in the near future imo

In an absolute nutshell....

Good old Terry has been ever so accommodating!

On 9/23/2023 at 12:03 PM, Skidder1 said:

Maybe its proximity to Newport might explain Phil Morris' background knowledge of it?

It's on the same stretch of road as his golf club, and about 5 mins from where he grew up in Cwmfelinfach .

As mentioned, way too close to the hospital and the main road. Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr - Google Maps

Pass it a lot on the way to visit my old man and always wonder if the Euro Millions would be enough to transform it

Hmmm I was up near there for football last year. I can’t see getting permission given its location. Happy to be proved wrong. Could easy attract a decent following in its proximity to urban areas and transport network. 

Is the Hospital a 24/7 operation. Google suggests 9am-5pm?

5 hours ago, the outsider said:

I'll leave this here ....Bradford :t:

Yes because Bradford is completely new to speedway isn't it ;)

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:38 PM, Grachan said:

Oh right. Swindon have got one of those too.

Looking at that Swindon track being left idle is so disheartening. Especially when you keep losing more tracks every year, Wolves and Panthers this season. 

On 9/24/2023 at 9:10 AM, Welwyn said:

Allied with the Senedd wanting to ban Greyhound racing. They could probably do with Speedway as a backup plan. Also, IF Cardiff continues, great chance for a Friday/Sunday meeting.

Any Speedway in Wales will most likely be limited to 20mph.

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, noggin said:

Any Speedway in Wales will most likely be limited to 20mph.

After last night Chris holder fill your boots 

• Haha 1

Announcement imminent according to some on facebook!!

If true I'm surprised they are not waiting til next month's AGM?  Maybe its been leaked!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Announcement imminent according to some on facebook!!

If true I'm surprised they are not waiting til next month's AGM?  Maybe its been leaked!

Any clues like North / South / East / West :lol:

42 minutes ago, HGould said:

Any clues like North / South / East / West :lol:

Yeah, one of those :unsure:

• Haha 2