British Speedway Forum
Anzum

Glasgow Vs Oxford play offs 26/9/23

The simplest thing to do is for Glasgow to go to Redcar and lose. That way everyone will be happy. The season fizzles out and clubs and riders lose out financially. But maybe, just maybe this will be the catalyst to do away with play offs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Fearing the wrath of the Glasgow fans for this...but perhaps this is karma for Glasgow's very tame calling off of this league fixture earlier in the year! 

Considering the stick the promotion got for the Berwick meeting a couple of weeks earlier (when no rain had even been predicted) and another call off around the same time, no. It rains a lot in Glasgow. It's can also be very localised. They try to give certainty rather than leave people bored and grouchy hiding under a tin roof.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tocha said:

Unlikely I would have thought. Scott Nicholls is due be on duty with Discovery+ for the Torun SGP.

I agree Torun has been on the diary all year!No way will Oxford go to Glasgow without Scott unless they can track a rider who would cover well enough, Lawson?

Edited by Pirates Of Poole

1 minute ago, MartinBSN said:

There’s a full month to run 4 fixtures. Very unlikely it will run into November

Don’t come up to Scotland much in October then, if and it’s a big if Glasgow are in the mix then running into November is very likely.

2 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

The simplest thing to do is for Glasgow to go to Redcar and lose. That way everyone will be happy. The season fizzles out and clubs and riders lose out financially. But maybe, just maybe this will be the catalyst to do away with play offs.

It definitely would make things simpler. I'd rather not though! Playoffs aren't the issue. Completing the league fixtures on time is the issue.

1 minute ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I agree Torun has been on the diary all year!No way will Oxford go to Glasgow without Scott unless they can track a rider who would cover well enough, Lawson?

If that's the last day the fixture can run, can they really have a choice?

2 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

You can't have a guest from another team in the playoffs I believe, so very limited options to replace Nicholls.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tocha said:

Unlikely I would have thought. Scott Nicholls is due be on duty with Discovery+ for the Torun SGP.

Not unknown for aClub to use a Guest.!!

• Haha 1

Shambolic fixtures once again. Get the league and play offs done first, then worry about the cup and trophy. We can't keep having this scrapping about in Sept and Oct to get the most important meetings of the season ridden. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tocha said:

Maybe they could say it's a speedway injury and get a guest, can't go with withholding his services or he would cop a ban. :cheers:

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Shambolic fixtures once again. Get the league and play offs done first, then worry about the cup and trophy. We can't keep having this scrapping about in Sept and Oct to get the most important meetings of the season ridden. 

That’s too simple it seems.Same every season and has been pointed out before it’s normally the same Teams each season who make all the finals ( the best that season)

26 minutes ago, tocha said:

I was answering the question "when does this fixture need to be completed by".

I wasn't suggesting that it'll be Saturday. 

21 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

You can't have a guest from another team in the playoffs I believe, so very limited options to replace Nicholls.

Then if I was Oxford I would refuse to ride in that case, most important meeting of the season and your without your skipper! 

32 minutes ago, tocha said:

Given Oxford made Redcar run with 3/4 guests plus r/r be bit rich to refuse on those grounds 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, tocha said:

Using the Wright/Bailey Poland argument. Which contract did he sign first?

At the end of the day there is only 1/2 dozen matches to be run in Oct and that’s what will happen IMO if matches don’t go ahead this week.(in 2018,Workington,Lakeside and Glasgow done in roughly 4days if I remember correctly)