British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Sheffield play off final 1st leg

27 minutes ago, Badge said:

I really feel for CL, honestly I m convinced he wouldn't have given tomorrow as an alternative  knowing the crossover we have with the football. 

Not a chance would he. Loves his football and goes himself! There’s not a cat in hells chance he’d have picked tomorrow as an alternative. It’s the Banger world final at Foxhall on Saturday, wonder whether that has played any part? Not sure how many days before that that you’re allowed to run. 

35 minutes ago, Badge said:

Just hope it's not one man and his dog left for us at Foxhall 

Dont worry there'll be more than that, there's 2 of us going but we're not bringing a dog 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not a chance would he. Loves his football and goes himself! There’s not a cat in hells chance he’d have picked tomorrow as an alternative. It’s the Banger world final at Foxhall on Saturday, wonder whether that has played any part? Not sure how many days before that that you’re allowed to run. 

Well...

If it's the Banger,World Final then UK Speedway's flagship meeting pales into insignificance....:D

10 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Well...

If it's the Banger,World Final then UK Speedway's flagship meeting pales into insignificance....:D

When you see what they get at Ipswich for banger racing, the stadium is packed to the rafters, speedway does not come near it. Take a look at any video for bonfire night bonanza and I know how busy it can get, I have queued to park, to get in and find a place to sit and that was two plus hours before the start. That does not happen even for the witches. Chalk and cheese when it comes to punters through the turnstiles.

4 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

When you see what they get at Ipswich for banger racing, the stadium is packed to the rafters, speedway does not come near it. Take a look at any video for bonfire night bonanza and I know how busy it can get, I have queued to park, to get in and find a place to sit and that was two plus hours before the start. That does not happen even for the witches. Chalk and cheese when it comes to punters through the turnstiles.

Same at Lynn.

Never seen the appeal personally but bums on seats don't lie.

27 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Well...

It really does unfortunately!

12 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

7 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Same at Lynn.

With you here. I honestly wouldn’t cross the road to watch it even if it was free entry! But it’s incredibly well supported. 

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Same at Lynn.

Stock Cars at the old track used to get around 4,000...

Circa ten times a season..

The Aces were getting around 1000 to 1200, 18 times, or so, a season...

How Speedway has fallen off over the past few decades..

With nothing tangibly done in that time, and even still today, to prevent further decline, sadly...

I am sure Ipswich will still get a decent crowd tomorrow, as they do have a larger fanbase than most..

17 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Same at Lynn.

It keeps a few stadiums open without which speedway would not be viable. Having grown up from the early days of banger racing and stock cars at Rayleigh back in 1969/70 when some banger races followed the speedway and they had to turn the stadium lights off to stop the bangers racing, it is different now but over the years the support seems to outstrip speedway. I remember going to world championship stock cars at Rayleigh and Chick Woodrofe and the stadium was packed. It has not changed that much in terms of support whereas speedway has fallen off a cliff supporters wise. Maybe it is because it is an evenings entertainment and lasts three or four hours with a good number of races rather than just fifteen or twenty minutes of racing over two plus hours. Speedway needs bangers/stock cars more than the other way around.

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Same at Lynn.

How frequently does the banger racing occur?

It was the same at Arena when I used to go all those years ago - it was always on a sunday tho, but the racing was fairly infrequent (once a month or something) - we went once and i never have felt the slightest inclination to go again.

Can't make the Ipswich leg but weather permitting (its been drizzle and rain here for 2 days) I plan to make the Owlerton leg

4 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

and I have it on good authority that the stock car crowd spend much more on food and drink than the frugal speedway crowd 

Well they would if more attend :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

and I have it on good authority that the stock car crowd spend much more on food and drink than the frugal speedway crowd 

More fool them. The “food” at Foxhall is absolutely garbage. In my opinion of course. 

Speedway is not needed at Foxhall to keep stadium alive... the stock cars and bangers do that. At one point it was muted that the speedway should go as the stock drivers were moaning about the dirty track caused by the shale track.  Obviously this didn't happen but could in future. 

Think about it...

most banger racers pay to race in a meeting for little prize money. So the gate receipts, is all income. Add in the food stands which are spedeworth owned .... it all adds up to a nice little earner.

Yes they get rent from the speedway hire of the track and then food concessions but in grand scheme of things is not too much.

2 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

How frequently does the banger racing occur?

It was the same at Arena when I used to go all those years ago - it was always on a sunday tho, but the racing was fairly infrequent (once a month or something) - we went once and i never have felt the slightest inclination to go again.

Can't make the Ipswich leg but weather permitting (its been drizzle and rain here for 2 days) I plan to make the Owlerton leg

At Arena during the 80s and 90s the car racing was every Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday from late March to early November with around 120 Bangers at every meeting plus Stock Cars and Hot Rods. For many years I was at every meeting for both the bikes and the cars. The crowds used to be slightly larger for the cars most of the time but around eight big meetings would get a crowd for the cars over three times the normal size. It all went downhill after Chick Woodroffe died.