British Speedway Forum

On 10/29/2023 at 9:07 AM, winstoncigar said:

I suspect the gym and gymnastics club generate more income for the leaseholders than speedway would and can’t see how they could all work together especially as the leaseholders would appear to have an active dislike for ‘dirty’ speedway.

There’s a reason why Uncle Len didn’t sell to the present tenants.

Uncle Len has to take a huge amount of responsibility for the closure of the club. Selling to BMR was a shocking decision. Had no idea about the sport & ended up going bankrupt a couple of years later. Warren Scott managed to transfer all his assets over to his wife before that though. 

Interesting that the council are now going to take enforcement action at the Stadium regarding the illegal building work. They may have to pull down the extension they put on the old stand/gymnasium & a load of the fencing.

As with Peterborough & AEPG, I think eventually C&B are going to have to come back to the negotiating table with Rye Action Group or a speedway promoter if they want to do anything with that land. How long can they continue to be stubborn for?

Uncle Len should take a lot of credit for the running of Rye House speedway over the years and to hold him any way responsible for what happened since in my opinion is wrong.

On that score at almost every venue that has changed hands and subsequently closed to speedway over the years, you could blame the previous owners and hold them responsible,why single out Len.

Uncle Len kept clubs going when others couldn't he is a Speedway Legend !!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think initially rye house was taken over by BMR with good intentions, I know for a fact Warren certainly had enough money. It's a real pity it's closed as there was always a good atmosphere and the racing was exciting , plus a few characters about the place. Makes you wonder what happened to the likes of Steve Naylor and others like Webby etc . 

16 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

I think initially rye house was taken over by BMR with good intentions, I know for a fact Warren certainly had enough money. It's a real pity it's closed as there was always a good atmosphere and the racing was exciting , plus a few characters about the place. Makes you wonder what happened to the likes of Steve Naylor and others like Webby etc . 

BMR acquired Rye House from Len with the club in considerable debt. Their plan to make it a then top league club back fired when they overspent considerably on track improvements and then the loss of Saturday night racing. 

It didn’t seem good enough for BMR to remain a championship club and grow they wanted it now!
Scott should have stuck to car racing and I believe that also went pop something later.

The Lee Valley Park Authority(own the land) have written to the leaseholders (Carter + Bailey) requesting that they address matters at the site & the lease obligations after the failed planning application. 

How Musk and his cowboys have got away with it for so long is a disgrace.

The noose is tightening what with the council & LVPA now not happy with them.

The best chance of a return is the LVPA as Musk has surely bought them into disrepute with his numerous instances of breaking planning laws at the site.

The BSPA should be onto the LVPA offering up a promoter to take on the rights

On 11/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, ONTWOMINUTES said:

others like Webby etc . 

do you mean Steve Webb?? if you do he was filmed in a sting

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

I thought that was Paul Newman and Robert Redford?...... :P  :D

7 hours ago, stevehone said:

Steve Webb was the pensions minister, a few years back, during the coalition! I think he was a Liberal MP? 

Perhaps he meant Harry Webb who lived not to far away from Rye ? I think he went off on his summer holidays and had a wonderful life.(apart from when he came across the old yew tree)

Edited by Toady
  • Haha 1

no i mean Steve Webb that worked in the pits, drove the parade truck, always wore loud clothing

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

no i mean Steve Webb that worked in the pits, drove the parade truck, always wore loud clothing

Yes I remember him in the pits and remember that episode.

Edited by M.D

Steve was also part of the track staff at Arena Essex. I would imagine he would no longer be welcome on anybody's track staff after that sting.

Aside from the demands for punitive fines to be dished out to  all and sundry for breaking planning laws, etc etc.,  oh and fining Len Silver for selling the club to BMR !!! After the blame game has ceased is there really any possibility that some magic fairy will instruct anyone anytime soon to reinstall a speedway track on he site at Hoddesdon ?  Almost as much chance one thinks as an alternative Lakeside venue being resurrected by teh developers backed by teh bankrupt Thurrock Council. OR the Swindon track being reinstated 5 yards from the back gardens of the new des res housing developements. 

Let us not forget the hand that BSPL dealt to the enthusiastive new Rye House owners BMR by chopping of their prime time Saturday evening racing slot in the PL. Seems to be all too conveniently forgotten that little nugget.

• Like 1

Chapman & Godfrey the pair of clowns in charge of the BSPL at that time have to take a large amount of responsibility. Comical to hear Godfrey say he'll do what he can to get Rye back! You played a huge part in the club shutting you clown.

Think Rye are in a better position than  Arena or Swindon. The LVPA own the land not the twats(Ricky Musk & Kevin O'Malley) who ripped the track out & broke planning laws.

The LVPA will be the one who eventually will decide the future of Rye. I'm sure their not happy that a tenant has broken planning laws on their land. The lease also says speedway & greyhounds need to be included on the site I believe. They have written to the tenants demanding some answers according to the Rye House Action Group.

The council have done what they can refusing planning permission & taking enforcement action. They can't force the tenant to run speedway.

The BSPL should be all over the LVPA saying we have a promoter ready to go in ASAP. The infrastructure & planning permission are already in place. I have no faith in them though. 

It's a wait & see. I think the first half of the year will see whether there is any future for Rye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1