British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Isn't it part of the Discovery deal that PL has to have a bare minimum of 6 Clubs? 

Glasgow have said no, Oxford can't as race nights not available. 

I've said for weeks Poole may have to step up to save the deal. 

If Oxford can't move up cos of race nights, how are Poole going to? It is the same race night! 

12 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

If Oxford can't move up cos of race nights, how are Poole going to? It is the same race night! 

Presumably Oxford physically can't run on Thursdays but Poole can if they choose to?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

I would think obtaining planning permission for stox is already dead in the water. As for any covenant, there is apparently absolutely no evidence of it - if it ever existed - seems to be an urban myth.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/87351-birmingham-brummies-2019/&do=findComment&comment=3271545

i guess we need to hunt down the Alexander family.

Edited by Deano

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Noaksy answers that perfectly

Poole could, Oxford can't. 

33 minutes ago, HGould said:

Noaksy answers that perfectly

Poole could, Oxford can't. 

Could not prob won't. There was a huge difference in crowd levels on a Thursday compared to a Weds. 

Why would Poole or indeed any club agree to race in a 'higher' league on an off race night which would almost certainly lead to a big financial loss - despite tv revenue (which doesnt amount to that much in the overall scheme of things!) - and already be on the back foot as regards team building, despite Poole's previous successes at that level? Especially having lost money in their last 'successful' Elite League year!!

To move up and race on a Wednesday - maybe, if they have full access to their many assets  even those that may have 'agreed' 2024 with other clubs!!

(Sits back and awaits............?);)

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Could not prob won't. There was a huge difference in crowd levels on a Thursday compared to a Weds. 

Which I've never understood and still don't!

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Tradition! It works so why change it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Why would Poole or indeed any club agree to race in a 'higher' league on an off race night which would almost certainly lead to a big financial loss - despite tv revenue (which doesnt amount to that much in the overall scheme of things!) - and already be on the back foot as regards team building, despite Poole's previous successes at that level? Especially having lost money in their last 'successful' Elite League year!!

To move up and race on a Wednesday - maybe, if they have full access to their many assets  even those that may have 'agreed' 2024 with other clubs!!

(Sits back and awaits............?);)

Only one reason that I've repeatedly explained. 

To save the TV deal, possible litigation by Disney and the skins of Management Committee who are actual Directors of BSPL Ltd with most to lose 

So if one Club Has to step up to make 6...will it be Poole or Scunthorpe? 

There has to be a minimum of 6 Clubs under TV deal doesn't there? 

If they need to make up the numbers for TV, How about allowing ghost teams to track share? Norwich could rise from the ashes and hold home meetings at KingsLynn and Ipswich. Peterborough could track share with Mildenhall and Kings Lynn,  Eastbourne could ride at Iwade and Southampton ride at the Isle of Wight. Swindon could ride electric bikes at home an conventional machines at away meetings. Few more teams to solve the problem and create even more fixture chaos but what’s new, it cannot be any worse than the current model.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Me either. Obviously I am missing out on something that happens on a Thursday! ;)

7 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

If they need to make up the numbers for TV, How about allowing ghost teams to track share? Norwich could rise from the ashes and hold home meetings at KingsLynn and Ipswich. Peterborough could track share with Mildenhall and Kings Lynn,  Eastbourne could ride at Iwade and Southampton ride at the Isle of Wight. Swindon could ride electric bikes at home an conventional machines at away meetings. Few more teams to solve the problem and create even more fixture chaos but what’s new, it cannot be any worse than the current model.

Isn't there a rule somewhere that you are not allowed to track share? 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

I'm  thinking you've just 'leaked' the new five year plan ahead of the AGM. B)

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Me either. Obviously I am missing out on something that happens on a Thursday! ;)

It does seem odd, can understand a weekend club going to a Thursday being a no no for most fans, was a disaster for Eastbourne way back for one season in the Elite, but Weds to Thurs?  Maybe Spoons curry club or bingo or something....Having said all that most club fans always prefer their traditional night whatever it is, so probably just creatures of habit I suppose, whether the 'incentive ' of Premiership racing is enough to change the habit, almost certainly not I imagine.