British Speedway Forum

58 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I wouldn’t call quality riders wanting to race in the UK a 'problem'. 

Is it not a problem that ticket prices are likely to increase to justify clubs bringing in these "quality" riders as they can't sustain paying for them otherwise?

A big league would not work, look at it now  the 2 small leagues are struggling to get the finals run in decent weather, so one big league and ego's to go with it, will probably have the final on boxing day and new years day , that's if any rider would want to guest at that time of year

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, StarBoy said:

Is it not a problem that ticket prices are likely to increase to justify clubs bringing in these "quality" riders as they can't sustain paying for them otherwise?

I suspect prices will increase regardless

The league could be even stronger next year. We could have the likes of Maciej Janowski, Piotr Pawlicki and Anders Thomsen in British Speedway.

Emil Sayfutdinov, Artem Laguta, Jason Doyle, Dan Bewley, Maciej Janowski, Piotr Pawlicki, Anders Thomsen, Jack Holder, Tobias Musliak, Brady Kurtz, Max Fricke, Tai Woffinden and Chris Holder.

When was the last time British speedway was in such great shape? Every team in the Premiership next year will have a world class top 2.

Edited by LagutaRacingFan

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I wouldn’t call quality riders wanting to race in the UK a 'problem'. 

Provided they commit for the entire season no - but I am against this end of season cash cow / playoff tourism that seems to have crept in of late! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

The league could be even stronger next year. We could have the likes of Maciej Janowski, Piotr Pawlicki and Anders Thomsen in British Speedway.

Emil Sayfutdinov, Artem Laguta, Jason Doyle, Dan Bewley, Maciej Janowski, Piotr Pawlicki, Anders Thomsen, Jack Holder, Tobias Musliak, Brady Kurtz, Max Fricke, Tai Woffinden and Chris Holder.

When was the last time British speedway was in such great shape? Every team in the Premiership next year will have a world class top 2.

More than enough no 1s and 5s to go round 

7 hours ago, Neila said:

A big league would not work, look at it now  the 2 small leagues are struggling to get the finals run in decent weather, so one big league and ego's to go with it, will probably have the final on boxing day and new years day , that's if any rider would want to guest at that time of year

Depends how protracted the play-offs are.

If the 14 team league has 12 teams in the play-offs in four groups of three followed by a semis and a final you could be right. And I  think that's just the nonsense the BSPL would come up with.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, arnieg said:

Depends how protracted the play-offs are.

If the 14 team league has 12 teams in the play-offs in four groups of three followed by a semis and a final you could be right. And I  think that's just the nonsense the BSPL would come up with.

For a single league comprising say 14 teams, the current doubling up situation (which has now got totally out of hand) between the Premiership and Championship is a major problem. One league won't be able to accommodate doubling uppers. So for every rider currently riding for two teams, another new rider has to be found. That's a lot of riders and where are the extra ones coming from. On top of that, there is the possibility of a few current riders who may consider that they can't make the sport pay without doubling up and consequently quit the sport. A rider could have 40 league meetings plus play-offs and cup competitions in this last season. A league of 14 would provide 26 meetings (plus play-offs and cup competitions), assuming that teams only play each other once home and away.

• Like 1

Listening to the Birmingham fans forum on the Speedway Tavern podcast I was almost walking around the streets of Leicester with my jaw dragging along the floor. First of all full credit to the Birmingham promotion for facing the fans in this way, I wish more would... But this Nigel Tolley guy sounds like a successful businessman, but as far as Speedway is concerned he sounds completely delusional. I think somebody needs to stage an intervention as he's in serious danger of "doing his money". It was just one thing after another, from the make up of the Brummies team at the start of this season to a possible option of moving to the Alexander Stadium just had me shaking my head in disbelief!

5 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

For a single league comprising say 14 teams, the current doubling up situation (which has now got totally out of hand) between the Premiership and Championship is a major problem. One league won't be able to accommodate doubling uppers. So for every rider currently riding for two teams, another new rider has to be found. That's a lot of riders and where are the extra ones coming from. On top of that, there is the possibility of a few current riders who may consider that they can't make the sport pay without doubling up and consequently quit the sport. A rider could have 40 league meetings plus play-offs and cup competitions in this last season. A league of 14 would provide 26 meetings (plus play-offs and cup competitions), assuming that teams only play each other once home and away.

A single 14 team is doable but there would have to be a huge radical change to team building which combines all current 3 divisions

So a premership level heat leader

3 x 2nd strings running at 2,3,4 who are main body championship level

A senior reserve at no.5 who is likely an A graded rising star or championship reserve

Then 2 x reserves at 6 & 7 who are national league standard

So it would be like 2 meetings in one in a sense where you have 2 reserve races, then 2 races where where the reserve rides with the senior reserve to make up their 4 rides

Senior reserve then rides with no. 2 and No.4

Rider 1 and 3 are seen as the only two heat leaders

So example of a side say Glasgow at random

Musielak, Nowak, Harris & Vissing

Senior Reserve - Complin

Reserves - Pijper & Boughen

On a race night you'll see a few decent league riders and the next generation coming through

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

A single 14 team is doable but there would have to be a huge radical change to team building which combines all current 3 divisions

A senior reserve at no.5 who is likely an A graded rising star or championship reserve

So it would be like 2 meetings in one in a sense where you have 2 reserve races, then 2 races where where the reserve rides with the senior reserve to make up their 4 rides

Senior Reserve - Complin

On a race night you'll see a few decent league riders and the next generation coming through

That’s a very sensible proposal you have put forward. Maybe someone from the BSPA will read this. If, on the off chance they do, they will no doubt nod and then stick their head back up their rectum.

2 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Senior Reserve - Complin

The only trouble with this is it totally makes the next season averages all over the place, you’ll potentially have reserves with higher averages than heatleaders.

six or even five man teams is probably the way forward.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, therefused said:

The only trouble with this is it totally makes the next season averages all over the place, you’ll potentially have reserves with higher averages than heatleaders.

six or even five man teams is probably the way forward.

Pairs league teams with 30 teams is being considered at the next AGM apparently. Conscious of the sport’s integrity in this country, there will be no guest facility for injured/ unavailable riders. Absences can only be covered with rider replacement, with no rider allowed to take more than one R/R ride. So, no guests, no doubling up, hats off to the sport’s hierarchy.

Whilst Denmark, Sweden and Poland have fixed race nights there won’t be one big league in the UK.  Next year the Prem will have at least 6 (Birm, BV, KL, Leic, Ips, Shef) possibly 7 with the new track (not blabbing with the location, I’ll let the promotion do that).  As for team building average needs a bump up from 39 to either 40.5 or 41 to allow teams to get a couple of big hitters in (existing or new to league) and a decent engine room rather than being full of 4 pointers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4BM said:

Whilst Denmark, Sweden and Poland have fixed race nights there won’t be one big league in the UK.  Next year the Prem will have at least 6 (Birm, BV, KL, Leic, Ips, Shef) possibly 7 with the new track (not blabbing with the location, I’ll let the promotion do that).  As for team building average needs a bump up from 39 to either 40.5 or 41 to allow teams to get a couple of big hitters in (existing or new to league) and a decent engine room rather than being full of 4 pointers. 

I do agree that the points limit around be risen slightly. I'd say 42 is a fair number especially like you said with the amount of big hitters looking for a UK side. I struggle to find enough 4/5 point riders now that can be shared amongst 6/7 teams. In terms of the new track I don't have any idea who that is !