British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonimac

Educate me - why does Zmarzlik get faster as meetings progress?

44 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Taking someone to the airfence doesn't require contact, just take the space away, but to a point yes, it's always added to the sport throughout it's history. Of course, nobody WANT serious injuries but it's part & parcel of this game. 

Hard but fair should always be in this game. 

Lindgren and Doyle aren't enough for you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chunky said:

Lindgren and Doyle aren't enough for you?

I see Freddie as being quite gentle these days.

On 10/3/2023 at 7:23 PM, Fromafar said:

100% agree.Does take too many risks ,just concentrates on getting to semi finals then steps it up.Gating is not his best strength thank goodness.

I don't think he takes too many risks at all, he's just controlled and calculated.

Lindgren is the closest thing to Pedersen. Doyle is extremely ruthless and hard charging but not in Pedersens mould.

24 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Lindgren is the closest thing to Pedersen. Doyle is extremely ruthless and hard charging but not in Pedersens mould.

And he makes more bad decisions. However, I agree.

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Pedersen. Doyle

IMO these riders( both have been WC  there is no  doubting their ability ) are not what I want to see in the sport and I hope that the next generation move on from this type of riding I am not against robust actions but don't like the fact these riders trade on fear , I often think riders who adopt this attitude are making  up for a lack of skill /ability to some extent  .

The sport is dangerous enough without riders almost deliberately setting out fence another rider ,there are always going to be occasions when mistakes are made  riders knock others off but not just because they won't allow another rider past there is blocking  and there are  deliberate actions that can lead to carnage plus serious career ending injury .

It seems ironic that both of the above riders have had a number of serious  injuries during their careers ,I  just wonder how many they would of had if they had not adopted this IMO overly aggresssive riding style and how many WC titles NP would have won .

Pedersen was brilliant , gave it his all on track and was a huge hit with the fans. Yes, he was ruthless and dirty but he himself was a victim of many bad moves even early on in his career. Everyone wanted to watch him, whether it was to watch him win or watch him get beaten. 

He was box office. 

the series could do with a prime Nicki P in it now , thats for sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

the series could do with a prime Nicki P in it now , thats for sure. 

Could do with a prime Gollob / Rickardsson / Crump also. Nicki P was box office and was the reason he was so doted at Eastbourne Eagles. Out and out #1 was a hard rider and wanted to win. He probably saw the opportunity that the angry man bed persona could make him box office or more money. From experiences of my family bumping into him at Cardiff he seems a very open and polite imdividual - Polar opposite to his mantra once in kevlars. 

• Like 1

I don't think Pedersen's reputation is totally justified, others have pulled many similar moves it's just he was so high profile and Nicki bashing 'caught on'.  Hans A was very hard with riding others to the fence or dive bombing (one time at Reading I recall he did it about three times, causing another to fall or seriously get in trouble), as was Gollob - remember Boycie's golden moment?  The fact we're still talking about them shows how they're missed in my view.  Oh and yes, Nicki's a lovely fella to talk to.

• Like 2

Can't help but to love Nicki really, he's pure entertainment. I think he started off with his hard riding purely because he was desperate to win. After that he just enjoyed the hate. The truth is that he's been more successful (in a lot of ways) than some of his rivals will ever be - he knows it and they know it.

Speedway legend without question.

Just seen this on TwitterX:

https://x.com/zmarzlik95/status/1715322977917546561?s=20

Looks like Bartek is on some kind of Orlen promotional day with Robert Kubica... the daft thing is though is he's wearing his "Infinite Reality" SGP race suit and not his "Orlen" one he got thrown out of the Danish GP for!!!

Hope he doesn't lose his Orlen sponsorship over this one :drink:

On 10/20/2023 at 3:30 PM, iainb said:

Just seen this on TwitterX:

https://x.com/zmarzlik95/status/1715322977917546561?s=20

Looks like Bartek is on some kind of Orlen promotional day with Robert Kubica... the daft thing is though is he's wearing his "Infinite Reality" SGP race suit and not his "Orlen" one he got thrown out of the Danish GP for!!!

Hope he doesn't lose his Orlen sponsorship over this one :drink:

Has Orlen in massive print on the suit?!? 

7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Has Orlen in massive print on the suit?!? 

I know... I can see that. That is not the race suit he was thrown out of the GP for wearing though, that is the one he should have been wearing. The one he wore that got him excluded had Orlen on his chest in the most prominent position

He does seem to be able to figure out the dirt line and make it work later in the meeting.

Early on the track is fresher and the inside line generally advantageous. As the dirt builds up on the outside it favours the brave and the skilled who can ride the berm. Its the dirt that generates the speed and he is the master of it.

The change of point scoring system in the GPs has taken away the importance of squeezing every point out of a meeting and placed the emphasis on reaching and winning finals. 

Therefore it’s no coincidence that Zmarzlik does what he needs to in the heats and then comes on strong for the clutch heats. IMO the scoring system should be changed back. It puts more jeopardy on every race of the series for each rider. In theory that would produce more competitive racing. 

• Like 2