British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

1 minute ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't get the negativity behind them, they have 7+ averages for a reason, they must be better than 6.00 riders for example. As Sedgmen was better away than at home, he'd be a clever signing for any Champ side imo

Exactly! I don't know why Lewy gets so upset with the suggestion.

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Exactly! I don't know why Lewy gets so upset with the suggestion.

I'm not upset, I know it's not going to happen because those riders are going elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Mike0310 said:

Has it been confirmed howarth has gone to Scunthorpe.

100% that Kyle won’t be back at Plymouth and from what I’ve heard neither will Gilles 

14 hours ago, HGould said:

Some harsh reality. 

Some teams fans will have to learn to accept some speedway is more important than winning speedway. 

The recent, mid and long term past is littered with clubs who have tried to buy success without the funds to bankroll it and failed. 

Good intentions no doubt, greedy riders possibly, not enough supporters prepared to turn up definitely. 

Supporters always blame owners and Promoters and expect winning teams. 

Normally and with only a few exceptions there is a correlation between supporter base and success or strict spending limits and realism.

Poole have massive support in terms of people turning up. 

Glasgow have massive financial backing 

Scunthorpe have a great pragmatist who refuses to buy what he cqnt afford. 

Mark Phillips works incredibly hard, shoulders massive stress, spends more than he probably can. 

But. 

You can't make a silk purse of a sows ear. Fans have to be realistic. 

Speedway is it more important to have it or to win? 

Or maybe a few hundred more at many Clubs like Brummies and Plymouth could get off their backsides turn off the streaming and support the teams in the flesh... 

I'm guilty if not supporting as much as I used to but this Autumn has struck home... My club Brummies may not have a track after this season.. So support it whenever possible I will. 

If plymouth can't build a competitive team. More people need to turn up. Then they at least have a fighting chance. 

I don't think Plymouth fans think any different in the main. We finished bottom last season and have had a number of tough seasons at this level. The way the fans rally around Mark and the club to invest and keep the club running is nothing short of miraculous. It doesn't mean the fans can't have a view on which riders they want to see compared to means they don't.

Your last line is the biggest catch 22 in the sport. You won't get more fans in (on a normal day) unless the product is worth the fee. Does that have to mean you win every week at all costs or that the racing is great, win, lose or draw? 

In my experience (look at Newport for example) you can go big on your team in the hope it brings more fans in, but rarely does that work, even if you have got a top side. I'd argue that would see the club close within 12 months.

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't get the negativity behind them, they have 7+ averages for a reason, they must be better than 6.00 riders for example. As Sedgmen was better away than at home, he'd be a clever signing for any Champ side imo

Because both are probably on the way down and aint getting any better. Sedgmen rode for Plymouth a few season ago and his attitude was diabolical. Clearly doesn't like the track or the club.

I hope we don't go near either to be honest, want big money for mediocre on track performances. 

I'd rather take a 6 pointer on the way up every day of the week.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Because both are probably on the way down and aint getting any better. Sedgmen rode for Plymouth a few season ago and his attitude was diabolical. Clearly doesn't like the track or the club.

I hope we don't go near either to be honest, want big money for mediocre on track performances. 

Sedgmen rode for Redcar back in 2012. His attitude back then was lousy. Has guested for us. Would never don a Bears race jacket ever again. If I had a say in the matter.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Tbf I'd take Batch at Poole. Not sure what his form around other tracks is like though! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Tbf I'd take Batch at Poole. Not sure what his form around other tracks is like though! 

Form?………His attitude is far more concerning than his form……does my box in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Absolutely not

• Haha 1

Great to see all the track and stadium work going on at the Coliseum!:t:

I hear what people are saying that we should just be grateful that speedway is still going ahead but desperately hoping that Plymouth have a winning team at home to bring the crowds back in.

Not too many heat leaders left that haven’t been signed or linked with other teams, Ben Basso maybe?

Edited by Marky_Mark

1 minute ago, Marky_Mark said:

I hear what people are saying that we should just be grateful that speedway is still going ahead but desperately hoping that Plymouth have a winning team at home to bring the crowds back in.

Not too many heat leaders left that haven’t been signed or linked with other teams, Ben Basso maybe?

Basso isn't doing Championship otherwise he'd still be at Glasgow!!

3 minutes ago, Marky_Mark said:

Not quite true from what I’ve heard.

What? That he's not doing Championship or that he wouldn't be still at Glasgow?

Edited by Skidder1